It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Josh Jackson Draft
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:21 pm 

I used Fanspeak and Josh Jackson fell to me. LVE and Rashaan Evans were on the board, along with Sam Hubbard, but I made the call that a DB that can make plays is the biggest need, and Jackson fits that bill. Make the cup overflow at CB into the FS spot. Just get ballhawks and figure out where to put them later. The rest of the draft goes well.

28: R1P28
CB JOSH JACKSON
IOWA

Slide Haden or Sutton to FS and you now have a very deep secondary.

60: R2P28
TE HAYDEN HURST
SOUTH CAROLINA

Couldn't say no here. The guy has GREAT tape and even if he's 25, at pick 60, he can't be passed up.

92: R3P28
EDGE JEFF HOLLAND
AUBURN

Was up in the air on Darius Leonard and Holland, but I know that Skai Moore is still being slept on and I decided that we had a better chance of getting Moore in the 5th than any kind of edge guy worth adding to the roster.

148: R5P11
LB SKAI MOORE
SOUTH CAROLINA

Ive already been clear on my optimism for this prospect. I think he is painfully underrated and with Bostic in the mix, he doesn't have to play immediately.

165: R5P28
WR EQUANIMEOUS ST. BROWN
NOTRE DAME

It might be unrealsitic to expect an athlete like this to fall to the late 5th. if he does you sprint to the podium.

220: R7P2
RB MARTEZ CARTER
GRAMBLING

Perfect scat back flyer. Tarik Cohen upside.

246: R7P28
DL JOSHUA FRAZIER
ALABAMA

Flyer on a guy to push McCullers. Connection to Dunbar. Get him before people start bidding him up as a UDFA.

Post subject: Re: Josh Jackson Draft
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:19 am 

This one is interesting Justin. I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:27 pm 

I really like the middle of this. I don't think Jackson is a fit-- he seems like a perfect zone corner, who makes his living facing the QB-- the very thing we're trying to get away from with our CBs. Wouldn't take Holland before 4th round-- terrible workout means he's a big risk as an edge rusher in the NFL. I'm not sure I get the Hayden Hurst love, in general.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:36 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I really like the middle of this. I don't think Jackson is a fit-- he seems like a perfect zone corner, who makes his living facing the QB-- the very thing we're trying to get away from with our CBs. Wouldn't take Holland before 4th round-- terrible workout means he's a big risk as an edge rusher in the NFL. I'm not sure I get the Hayden Hurst love, in general.

Could Jackson be the FS of the future then? I just think if Im looking at playmaking DBs, he will get his hands on more balls than anyone left on the board.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:38 pm 

As posted a couple of other places, if this draft signals us giving up on Sean Davis, two seasons after his draft year, I'm really not pleased.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:34 am 

I think that's coming down the track. There's a new DBs coach... let's see what he can do.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:59 pm 

I don't believe Davis is being phased out or run out of Pittsburgh. I think Davis has been played out of position. I think FS is Davis' natural position because of his corner abilities. His position in college was safety 3 of his 4 years. One season at corner. The only hit on Davis IMHO is wrapping up tackling. That's coachable. The FA acquisition of Burnett is telling IMO. I think the Steelers are looking for a Burnett clone at SS. Big, Length, Good Coverage Abilities, Ball Hawking and Solid Tackling. I don't see one of those in this draft. Perhaps Griffin may be the closest representative for this type of player the Steelers covet. I have seen him 'mock' drafted in the second round to the Steelers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:33 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I don't believe Davis is being phased out or run out of Pittsburgh. I think Davis has been played out of position. I think FS is Davis' natural position because of his corner abilities. His position in college was safety 3 of his 4 years. One season at corner. The only hit on Davis IMHO is wrapping up tackling. That's coachable. The FA acquisition of Burnett is telling IMO. I think the Steelers are looking for a Burnett clone at SS. Big, Length, Good Coverage Abilities, Ball Hawking and Solid Tackling. I don't see one of those in this draft. Perhaps Griffin may be the closest representative for this type of player the Steelers covet. I have seen him 'mock' drafted in the second round to the Steelers.

If Davis had shown good coverage ability as a FS, I’d be inclined to agree with you... but I think he was at times terrible when playing the kind of off-man coverage he has to do in quarters/red zone. I think he’s a press man CB who wasn’t quite good enough in that role, so he’s being tried out of position at safety. Not quite strong enough for TEs, not quite quick enough for WRs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:57 pm 

I think Davis would be a better player on the back end with everything in front of him. He'll have time to make moves [read/react] watching the QB. I think Davis struggles in the SS role for the Steelers because they want him to cover man and he struggled with that in the lone season he played as a corner. Which inclined his college coach to move him back to a more traditional type of safety. Which IMHO the NFL FS position is. It will be interesting to see what unfolds. Exciting is an understatement even before the draft for me. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:35 am 

Vs spread offenses, the safety on the 2-receiver side gets cover 4, which most times is an off-man coverage where FS has the slot receiver once he goes past curl/flat. It’s a tough job that mostly relies on instinct and study of route combos. Athleticism helps but instincts are probably more vital.

Watch the NE Patriots in our 2016-17 AFCCG. They used formations to manipulate us into quarters coverage when we were in dime, with 3 safeties— particularly in Red Zone. Golden and Davis were absolutely torched.