It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Let's go Pens! mock draft.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:09 pm 

Here’s my mock attempt. Based on which big-boards you follow, some are a little bit of a reach and some are a little bit of a stretch to be there…as they say...actual mileage may very.

Round 1, Pick 28: Lorenzo Carter, OLB-ILB, Georgia
There’s a real need here with Bud’s fifth year option on the table and no guarantee that it will be picked up. Everyone else on the roster - outside of TJ Watt – is a back-up at best. Carter, with his crazy get off and bend, could be a great OLB with a season under his belt and has the position flexibility to play a little ILB as well. The more you can do and all.

Round 2, Pick 28: Jessie Bates III, FS, Wake Forest
The Steelers have paid a lot of pre-draft attention to Bates and a smart, flexible Safety is on the 'need' menu for sure. His ball hawking, splash play ability is the icing on the cake. With more focus being paid to the big-nickel defense, there’s definitely room on the roster for this player. This pick also strengthen your CB room, as it allows Cam Sutton to focus on challenging Artie Burns for the CB2 position and our returner needs.

Round 3, Pick 28: James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State
A WR4 is an immediate need and he’ll become a WR3 when Martavis and Hey-Bey move on in 2019. Washington’s great ability to go up and get the deep ball is just what Ben and this evolving offense will need in the future. He will make us all forget about Ta’ next year, maybe even this year. I hope he’s there when this pick comes up and the Steelers ‘do what they do’ on draft-day, and run to the podium.

Round 5, Pick 11: John Kelly, RB, Tennessee
Similar situation here with Bell and the RB room as with Ta’ and the WR room. I think Kelly could be close to his last years’ teammate, Kamara, in regards to ability and skillset. He could be the lightning to Conner’s thunder after Bell moves on with his crazy salary demands in 2019. Bonus, mo’ money for us to spend, too.

Round 5, Pick 28: Tyler Conklin, TE Central Michigan
He’s a little shorter than our typical TE, but his basketball background and crazy good hands made him a nice pick here. He’s coming off a broken foot in recent years, but his 2016 film looks very good. With the very young JJ surprisingly on his last year and Vance’s larger salary not guaranteed it makes sense to grab a TE in this draft and at this spot.

Round 7, Pick 2: Skai Moore, ILB, South Carolina
He looks the part on film, but his tested speed doesn’t quite match the film. He obviously plays faster, which is a plus in my book. There is a medical flag with a past back surgery, but hopefully he’s past that. He would definitely help upgrade our ILB depth and be a ST ace in year one. He could be a real steal if he develops. A nice piece of clay to work with, imo.

Round 7, Pick 28: Joshua Frazier, DL, Alabama
One of the new DL coaches’ (Karl Dunbar) Bama guys. Fits with my feeling that the Steelers like to give their new position coaches a new draft-toy to play with. Dunbar knows exactly what Frazier can be and my guess is he’d easily knock McCullers off the roster, which time has come.

UDFA agent focus on O Line for our best position coach, Munch, with focus on finding a diamond-in-the-rough OG to help replace Foster in a year or so. Coach Munch is the perfect guy to turn an UDFA player into a starter. None on the staff can do it better. That Rugby monster sounds like our next starting RT in a few years, too. Go get 'em!

Post subject: Re: My Let's go Pens! mock draft.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:00 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Here’s my mock attempt. Based on which big-boards you follow, some are a little bit of a reach and some are a little bit of a stretch to be there…as they say...actual mileage may very.

Round 1, Pick 28: Lorenzo Carter, OLB-ILB, Georgia
There’s a real need here with Bud’s fifth year option on the table and no guarantee that it will be picked up. Everyone else on the roster - outside of TJ Watt – is a back-up at best. Carter, with his crazy get off and bend, could be a great OLB with a season under his belt and has the position flexibility to play a little ILB as well. The more you can do and all.

Round 2, Pick 28: Jessie Bates III, FS, Wake Forest
The Steelers have paid a lot of pre-draft attention to Bates and a smart, flexible Safety is on the 'need' menu for sure. His ball hawking, splash play ability is the icing on the cake. With more focus being paid to the big-nickel defense, there’s definitely room on the roster for this player. This pick also strengthen your CB room, as it allows Cam Sutton to focus on challenging Artie Burns for the CB2 position and our returner needs.

Round 3, Pick 28: James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State
A WR4 is an immediate need and he’ll become a WR3 when Martavis and Hey-Bey move on in 2019. Washington’s great ability to go up and get the deep ball is just what Ben and this evolving offense will need in the future. He will make us all forget about Ta’ next year, maybe even this year. I hope he’s there when this pick comes up and the Steelers ‘do what they do’ on draft-day, and run to the podium.

Round 5, Pick 11: John Kelly, RB, Tennessee
Similar situation here with Bell and the RB room as with Ta’ and the WR room. I think Kelly could be close to his last years’ teammate, Kamara, in regards to ability and skillset. He could be the lightning to Conner’s thunder after Bell moves on with his crazy salary demands in 2019. Bonus, mo’ money for us to spend, too.

Round 5, Pick 28: Tyler Conklin, TE Central Michigan
He’s a little shorter than our typical TE, but his basketball background and crazy good hands made him a nice pick here. He’s coming off a broken foot in recent years, but his 2016 film looks very good. With the very young JJ surprisingly on his last year and Vance’s larger salary not guaranteed it makes sense to grab a TE in this draft and at this spot.

Round 7, Pick 2: Skai Moore, ILB, South Carolina
He looks the part on film, but his tested speed doesn’t quite match the film. He obviously plays faster, which is a plus in my book. There is a medical flag with a past back surgery, but hopefully he’s past that. He would definitely help upgrade our ILB depth and be a ST ace in year one. He could be a real steal if he develops. A nice piece of clay to work with, imo.

Round 7, Pick 28: Joshua Frazier, DL, Alabama
One of the new DL coaches’ (Karl Dunbar) Bama guys. Fits with my feeling that the Steelers like to give their new position coaches a new draft-toy to play with. Dunbar knows exactly what Frazier can be and my guess is he’d easily knock McCullers off the roster, which time has come.

UDFA agent focus on O Line for our best position coach, Munch, with focus on finding a diamond-in-the-rough OG to help replace Foster in a year or so. Coach Munch is the perfect guy to turn an UDFA player into a starter. None on the staff can do it better. That Rugby monster sounds like our next starting RT in a few years, too. Go get 'em!

What the fuck is a “Ta”? :?
:lol: I kid...
Very nice mock. A+
If I were a betting man, I’d wager the mortgage that Joshua Frazier, somehow, someway, will be wearing the Black and Gold next season...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:11 pm 

I dig this draft. Not a huge fan of Washington, but I like the rest of it.

Tyler Conklin (not Jack Conklin B2B :lol: ) is going to be a nice player. Look at what he did toward the end of last year when he was healthy. He has great hands.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:37 pm 

Replace Carter with Rashaan Evans and I think you would have a dream draft for the Steelers FO.
While I think they would like LVE more, Evans is plenty good enough to be considered at 1.28.
Bates in the 2nd and Washington in the 3rd represent guys that they are very high on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:42 pm 

Carter sounds like a legit prospect but worry about a georgia LB. but he does not sound anything like JJ.
I have a feeling the Steelers really like Washington.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:12 pm 

Charles Demarr wrote:
I dig this draft. Not a huge fan of Washington, but I like the rest of it.

Tyler Conklin (not Jack Conklin B2B :lol: ) is going to be a nice player. Look at what he did toward the end of last year when he was healthy. He has great hands.

Whoops, battle fatigue.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:17 pm 

Just saw one of the gurus’ big board of 300, with Bates at 24. I think Carter goes later and Bates goes earlier than most think. Also, I’d be drafting Carter as an off-ball LB, not as an edge. There are probably comparable pure edge players available for three rounds or more.