It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go Get Landry Mock
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:05 am 

1.22 Harold Landry OLB Boston College
The big time edge rusher the Steelers need. Landry starts to fall and the Steelers pounce. Dupree isn't the answer and Landry is going to be a great one.

2.60 Jessie Bates FS Wake Forest
The rangy and super young safety gives the Steelers a potential big time playmaker in the secondary.

3.92 TRADED
5.148 Duke Dawson DB Florida
The versatile Florida defender can help out at safety and slot CB. Gives the Steelers another versatile defender.

5.165 Daurice Fountain WR Northern Iowa
Think this guy could be a potential starter, he has pretty good hands and can jump out of the gym....he posted a 42.5 vert, 11' foot broad, and a 4.46 at his pro day.

7.220 Joel Iyiegbuniwe ILB Western Kentucky
Smaller but rangy defender who can push then Steelers depth at ILB.

7.246 Joshua Frazier DT Alabama
The classic NT who can help the Steelers in run defense and help push that worthless piece of shit McCullers off the roster.

Post subject: Re: Go Get Landry Mock
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:30 am 

I like it in spirit. Like Landry.

Joel Iyiegbuniwe might be good-- i've been interested lately in Eric Boggs from App State and the guy the Steelers brought in for a visit, Jermaine Carter, Jr.. Check them out, if you haven't.

My two biggest gripes are:

1. even the lowest on Bates now have him gone by pick 50. you miss him in the first, you don't get him.
2. did Joshua Frazier do anything to make himself draftable? Like, I think he'd be a fine UDFA with a shot to make the team, but other than have dinner with the Steelers, is he the best player available to draft there?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:03 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I like it in spirit. Like Landry.

Joel Iyiegbuniwe might be good-- i've been interested lately in Eric Boggs from App State and the guy the Steelers brought in for a visit, Jermaine Carter, Jr.. Check them out, if you haven't.

My two biggest gripes are:

1. even the lowest on Bates now have him gone by pick 50. you miss him in the first, you don't get him.
2. did Joshua Frazier do anything to make himself draftable? Like, I think he'd be a fine UDFA with a shot to make the team, but other than have dinner with the Steelers, is he the best player available to draft there?

The Frazier pick is more what I think the Steelers will do with that pick, not necessarily what I would do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:08 pm 

To me the Frazier pick in the 7th that we all are making is like James Conner last season. We all knew they were taking Conner at some point, it was a foregone conclusion. With Frazier it just seems the same. His coach was Dunbar last season, they probably want to bring in some competition for McCullers, they don't want to spend anything more than a 7th for that player, they had dinner with him. I think that Dunbar would love to have a former pupil of his to use as an example of how to do things, technique-wise, terminology, etc. Ultimately does not matter if there are other better options available, whether it is McCullers or Frazier, that 6th defensive linemen is going to be inactive the vast majority of the season, unless they start using more 4-3 looks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:21 pm 

Its a wasted pick because therer’s no other team that would take Frazier.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:49 pm 

I hate that term, wasted pick. A 7th round pick is never wasted in that situation that I described. Dunbar is coming in and his approach, his techniques, his way of coaching defense is drastically different than what Mitchell did. When Cam Heyward goes to Tomlim to get his permission, or 'blessing', to seek training on how to become a better pass rusher, that told me all I needed to know that Mitchell's days were numbered as our defensive line coach

I wanted him gone immediately after hearing that story but it finally took two years. Anyway, Dunbar can accelerate the process of our defensive line by having a former pupil who can come in and be an example, that he can say, hey Joshua do such and such to show them this technique, or explain to Walton what I mean when I say this. Spending a late 7th rounder on this player who can help aid in the transition from Mitchell to Dunbar and get our defensive line up to speed quicker would be worth it. Who cares if he makes the team? If Hargrave and Tuitt approach double digit sacks along with Heyward at the end of the season, that wasted 7th round pick would be worth it.

Also who is say that McCullers won't benefit from Dunbar? That he won't be a totally different player under Dunbar? It wouldn't be the first time that a change in coaching somehow makes a player a much better player. Again, maybe a lowly 7th round pick competing with McCullers also helps Big Dan take that next jump in his development? Again, in that situation is a 7th round pick 'wasted' if it gets McCullers to achieve his potential?

I don't like to play games of whether or not a player would make it to be an undrafted free agent. Sometimes you end up spending more to sign a player as an undrafted free agent. If there is one team out there that likes that player more and is willing to give more of a bonus, then you most likely are going to miss out on that player. BJ Finney for example could have made so much more as an UDFA if he had signed elsewhere but he chose the Steelers because he loved the team and dreamed of being a Steeler. Most players don't do that however and we are right up against the cap.

And why wouldn't a team be interested in Frazier in the 7th round? Played at a big school. Check. Had high draft picks in front of him, so the lack of playing time is understandable. What kind of athlete is Josh? 320 pounder who runs a 5.2 40? Draft Scout has him as their 33rd ranked DT out of 164. I look at all of that and think to myself if a team was looking for a run stuffer they might take a late round, 7th round flyer on Frazier easily.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:55 am 

You missed my point. Get Dunbar his guy when the draft is over. Frazier will be sitting there waiting by his phone. Hell, you can call him Saturday afternoon and say, "hey, we'd love to sign you after the draft-- Coach Dunbar says you're his dude!"

It's a wasted pick because you can select a player that might not readily be available to you after the draft or because someone else will take him late.

Frazier is about the 400th best prospect in this draft.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:54 am 

The long snapper they drafted last year was the 500 best player. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:28 am 

cop1211 wrote:
The long snapper they drafted last year was the 500 best player. :lol:

Yeah, exactly. Panic move.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:04 am 

Hate to disagree with you again, B2B but how was the Holba selection a panic move?

The Steelers have a long history of expecting not just passable play from the long snapper position, but of excellence, of Pro Bowl caliber play. Kendall Gammon, Mike Schneck were former Steeler long snappers that had long careers and were of the highest caliber, both made the Pro Bowl as long snappers. Greg Warren was very good.

So, the Steelers knew Warren was close to the end because of his knee injuries. They signed Kameron Canaday as a free agent, who had 3 games of experience with Arizona in 2016. But they also then went ahead and drafted Holba in round 6. The scouting reports that I read said he was one of the best long snapping prospects in 5 years or so. Both are bigger than usual, both Canady and Holba are giants compared to what passes for long snappers in today's NFL. The average long snapper is about 6' 230 pounds, Holba and Canaday? They are both 6'4" 245-250 pounders with height, length. It was obvious that the Steelers were looking for certain criteria in replacing Warren.

They bring in two prospects and then they let them compete for the job. Canaday won and Holba went on to start the last 10 games (including Playoffs) for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Competition can be a wonderful thing, a very productive thing, iron sharpens iron, yeah, cute little phrase but I think it worked out beautifully for us with Canaday. And it isn't like you can say that Holba was a flop, he is starting in the NFL.

That all worked out well, replacing Warren. The Long snapper position seems like a pedestrian, meh, type of player until you have some botched snaps on a punt, or an extra point or a field goal. I have no problem with how Colbert and company went about replacing Warren and the use of a 6th round pick on Holba. It all worked out. Not every single draft pick is going to make your team. The idea of the draft and free agency is that when you boil it all down, you are bringing in players to compete, and that through competition the best players will rise to the top. The Steelers had a plan, brought in two similar players and let them compete and ended up with a worthy replacement for Warren.