It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gambing mock
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:07 am 

I have little confidence that the Steeler brass would take gambles like this but it would be interesting. It ends up being more of a B2B draft with the small school prospects taken late.

1.28 - RB Darius Guice, Evans and LVE are gone. Others may be a reach but the Steelers have shown a lot of interest. There would need to be some crazy stuff happen to the Steeler's board for them to announce to Bell that they are not going to move forward with him. But it is a gambling mock. I also considered CB Jaire Alexander.

2.60 - S Jesse Bates, Wake Forest - They love this guy and he gives them a ball hawk that they need.

4.*(trade) Shaun Dion Hamilton, ILB, Alabama - The minds of the Steeler faithful are blown by this pick. This is assuming that the doctors have cleared him. You get a 1st round talent who is smart ( HS valedictorian and called signals on Alabama defense), has leadership ( Alabama team captain) and is one of the best cover LBs in football. The key is the doctors. The Steelers trade back targeting Hamilton and pick up a 6th.

5a Siran Neal, SS, Jacksonville State - I do like his athleticism. Needs a year of learning the position. Was a bump and run CB in college but does not have the hips for that in the NFL.

5b Dorian O'Daniel, OLB, Clemson - The next Steeler pick for the hybrid SS/LB role. Quick and undersized

6.*(T) Marquez Valdes-Scantling, WR, South Florida - The Bryant replacement. 6'4 with 4.4 speed.

7.220 Deon Yelder, TE, Western Kentucky

Post subject: Re: Gambing mock
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:20 pm 

In general, I like it. I was hot on Shaun Dion Hamilton early in the process, but the more I watch and the entire postseason for him has been worse and worse. Just have a feeling he's not the same after the series of injuries. Too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:47 pm 

One of the more intriguing aspects to taking Guice with the 28th pick is that the NFL draft shuts down for the night soon after. First round done and the 2nd round begins the next day.

So, hypothetically, the Steelers could in fact trade Bell for a high second round pick the next day. Yeah, a lot would have to happen, Bell would have to sign his tender and be on board about being traded but he has just been slapped in the face with reality with the Guice pick, he now knows that he will not be a Steeler in 2019.

Which teams could conceivably trade for Bell at the top half of round 2?

Indy has back to back picks in the 2nd round.
Tampa Bay cut Doug Martin and has an early 2nd rounder.
Gruden with the Raiders?

Imagine being able to draft Guice and still be able to land that ILB and S with two 2nd rounders by trading Bell, and also in the process freeing up $14.544 million?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:39 pm 

Scunge wrote:
One of the more intriguing aspects to taking Guice with the 28th pick is that the NFL draft shuts down for the night soon after. First round done and the 2nd round begins the next day.

So, hypothetically, the Steelers could in fact trade Bell for a high second round pick the next day. Yeah, a lot would have to happen, Bell would have to sign his tender and be on board about being traded but he has just been slapped in the face with reality with the Guice pick, he now knows that he will not be a Steeler in 2019.

Gruden with the Raiders?

Imagine being able to draft Guice and still be able to land that ILB and S with two 2nd rounders by trading Bell, and also in the process freeing up $14.544 million?

A lot to be done in 24 hours to make that happen. Not that I’m against it, I think we should get the most we can for Bell but there’s no way he signs his tender.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:42 pm 

smithessmokin wrote:
Scunge wrote:

Gruden with the Raiders?

A lot to be done in 24 hours to make that happen. Not that I’m against it, I think we should get the most we can for Bell but there’s no way he signs his tender.

Agreed. The only way Bell signs that tender is if the trade partner agrees to pay his number. That’s not very likely to get done overnight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:15 am 

Scunge wrote:

Gruden with the Raiders?

Can they trade him if he has not signed his tender? I did not think so. I think it is more likely that Bell does not sign until week 10 and the Steelers never take him out of games.