It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No Dinner For You
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:02 pm 

2T.) Lorenzo Carter 6’6 250 EDGE Georgia- To my knowledge the Steelers didn’t take my guy Lorenzo here out for a nice dinner at the Hilltop Grille or the National during their visit to Athens. Probably takes him out of the running to be the Steelers’ top pick, most a pity. Dig him, such dedicated football player and all around good kid. I’m anticipating plenty of round 1 trade action. Just once I’d like the Steelers to be a part of it. “RUN YOU CUR!” Keep running to that podium, Tombert. Miss that chance to add much needed depth to your roster. Lousy thug.

2.) Harrison Phillips 6’4 307 DT Stanford- Art II has decreed it. The Steelers defense will stop the run. Cranky ass Mike Mayock and I don’t have a whole lot in common, but we both like players with a wrestling background. This former Nebraska wrestling champ led in the nation in run stops by a defensive lineman per PFF.. All out hustler who would surely endear himself to the blue collar city of Pittsburgh. Y’all still blue collar up there??? Sounds like a lazy, reckless, cliché’ on my part. I apologize.

3T) Malik Jefferson 6’3 236 LB Texas- Smith gets his man. It wouldn’t surprise me if Tomlin didn’t dig this kid too. Certainly looks the part and has the desired measurables. I’m going to guess the Steelers’ preferred target at linebacker is LVE either at 28 or even a shocking trade up, but I can’t root for that given how much I value FC’s and Smith's opinions. I can’t, I won’t!

3.) Terrell Edmunds 6’2 217 S Virginia Tech- Look I get it, Jessie Bates got the dinner invite. He just doesn’t wave my flag at 28. Tomlin likes ‘em young and from Virginia so my money says my guy Edmunds here is on Tomlin’s radar.

5T) John Kelly 5’10 216 RB Tennessee- That villain Leveon Bell is slated to once again be the Steelers’ bell cow in 2018. He could use someone to spell him. Instead, he’ll get the usual run the wheels off treatment. Should Bell get injured, I have zero confidence in James Conner. Great story, bad pick. That’s where this Kelly kid comes in. He’s a 3 down back who can run, catch, and pass block should one of Bell's wheels in fact fall off.

5.) J’mon Moore 6’3 207 WR Missouri- Quality producer in the SEC who recently ran a 4.46 at his pro day to go along with his already solid combine numbers (21 reps, 38 vert 6.50 3cone etc) Good value pick here in rd 5 for a position that needs depth after the top 3

7T.) Antonio Callaway 5’11 197 WR Florida- If Bell is a villain, I don't know what you call this kid but I do know the Steelers won’t touch him. I would. Callaway offers 1st round talent ranking 11th on Kiper’s preseason big board. His electric return skills alone worth the late round dart throw.

7.) Ike Boettger 6’6 310 OT Iowa- “That’s real good law dog ‘cuz law don’t go around here.” “Shut up Ike.” Like many Iowa linemen before him, But-gir came to Kirk Ferentz as a TE. And like many Iowa linemen he has starting experience at multiple positions. Anybody like Jerald Hawkins? Could be an important player this year.

I know the Steelers draft won’t look anything like this one. I know many of the players aren’t connected to the Steelers. They’re just some players I like. Anyway, I get a little melancholy this time of year thinking about skipping school to watch the first round of the 1987 draft on ESPN which was during the day on a Thursday I believe back then. Few years later, Jimmy Johnson and all of his trading made the draft fun with them Cowboys. Join in the fun, Tombert.

Post subject: Re: No Dinner For You
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:24 am 

Some folks are still in a DND mode regarding any player from Georgia due to the jervis bust but I have really grown to like Carter in the 1st. I think he brings an athleticism that was expected from Dupree and a motor like what we saw with Watt. The combination of those two aspects is a huge win in my book. I know you mocked a trade down but I would definitely take Carter @ 28 if he's there. Phillips is a steal in the second where the Steelers are drafting. I think Phillips goes in the top of the second round if not at the bottom of the first. Wouldn't be too sure Jefferson lasts to the third but if he does and they get him..., another steal. The rest all fill needs/depth and likely make the roster either on the 53 or PS.

Absolutely love it. Would be very happy with that haul Drama.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:45 am 

LB Vander Esch
LB Evans
RB Guice
QB Rudolph
LB Carter
S Bates
QB Jackson
S Harrison
TE Gesicki

Only sort of ranking them, but it's going to be one of those guys.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:06 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
LB Vander Esch
LB Evans
RB Guice
QB Rudolph
LB Carter
S Bates
QB Jackson
S Harrison
TE Gesicki

Only sort of ranking them, but it's going to be one of those guys.

its gonna be 1 of those top 3 and Bates imo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:37 pm 

I tend to agree, Greek, but I recall the Bouchette speculation that the Steelers were going to pick Gesicki-- from months ago. Colbert went to pro day.

Then there's (as Perch said) the fascination with Louisville games and Jackson. Add Tomlin's rapt admiration for Mason Rudolph's workout. And Lorenzo Carter being the perfect all-around LB that they covet. Harrison and Evans are actually the two least likely on paper, especially with the lack of mojo between the Steelers and Alabama program, aside from Karl Dunbar.

Harrison is kinda in the ballpark of Morgan Burnett and Evans's injury and the predraft run-up reminds a lot of Jarvis. If it reminds me of it, chances are it reminds them, too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:18 pm 

Carter reminds me of Dupree, underwear olympics winner, but not so much of a college football winner.
Can he play inside? If not better to pass.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:58 pm 

I'd argue Carter made at least as much of the chances he got in college as Evans did, if not more. I don't think he's Bud Dupree, but I'll defer to FC and Drama on all things SEC.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:29 pm 

Yeah if the Steelers draft fell that way I would be quite happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:39 pm 

FC wrote:

Count me in on that sentiment. The only change I might make is I like Kemoko Turay because I feel he has more upside than Lorenzo Carter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:04 pm 

smithessmokin wrote:
FC wrote:

Count me in on that sentiment. The only change I might make is I like Kemoko Turay because I feel he has more upside than Lorenzo Carter.

Wow. That’s a big risk, on the heels of Dupree. Tell me what I’m missing with Turay. Little production, hamstring at combine (which I hate), no workout. I can’t see him before round 4.