It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A New Day, A New Mock
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:23 am 

Starting to lean towards:

1. FS Jesse Bates, Wake Forest... Lack of legit FS who are capable of starting early pushes FS up the charts. Bates will go before Steelers 2nd pick (was Lorenzo Carter)
2. WR Anthony Miller, Memphis... perfect team fit. Hard worker. (was Jesse Bates)
3. SS Shaquem Griffin, UCF... wild card/joker playmaker (same)
5. LB Skai Moore, South Carolina... just makes plays. Great in coverage, gets it done vs the run. Good complement to Jon Bostic. (same)
5. DT P.J. Hall, Sam Houston State... crazy athletic freak with motor on 11. (was Ballage, who I think will go earlier)
7. OL Desmond Harrison, West Georgia... flags but what an athletic piece of clay for MM
7. RB Chris Warren III, Texas... big man with quick feet. Like Bettis, if Bettis were a great athlete, was the best blocking RB in the draft, and had natural hands. Could also see the field as an H-Back.
PFA: EDGE Mat Boesen, TCU... highly evolved edge pass rush technique, with very good athleticism
PFA: TE Deon Yelder, Western Kentucky... Upgrades Grimble, with possibility of being a quality #1 or 2 someday
PFA: WR Thomas Owens, Florida International... very, very productive receiver with an all around game and NFL physique.
PFA: WR/KR Jonah Tinnamen, BYU... the Tyreke Hill of this draft class, without the baggage. he runs 4.29, had testing out of the gym, and his lack of high production has much more to do with
PFA: OL Jordan Mailata... Rugby convert who is 20, has a head start on the conversion, Steelers have shown interest
PFA: OL Dave Steinmetz, Purdue... graduate transfer from Rhode Island, where they seem to have a decent OL pipeline. Versatile and very athletic
PFA: OL Dejon Allen, Hawaii... versatile IOL with OC skills
PFA: DL Joshua Frazier, Alabama... familiarity and some size
PFA: CB/S Jeremy Reaves, South Alabama... ball skills at FS, but I think he might be a better CB prospect. Made a ton of plays at outside CB.
PFA: S Tray Walker, Louisiana (used to be called Louisiana-Lafayette)... An overlooked safety, very smart in zone and skilled at reading the QB. Physical player who sticks his nose in vs. the run
PFA: QB Alex McGough, Florida International... Better than at least half of the QBs who will be drafted. Has great footspeed but mostly utilizes + arm talent from the pocket. Took a huge step forward once coaching got better.
PFA: LB Quentin Poling, Ohio... incredibly productive on the stat sheet. 373 tackles, 43.5 TFL, 18 sacks, 7 INT, 2 P6, 5 FF, 2 FR
PFA: LB/EDGE Freddie Luvu, Washington State... incredibly high motor LB, who had success at both off ball LB and as EDGE rusher. Very quick first step, sub 7.0 3 cone, good tackler who doesn't often overcommit

Post subject: Re: A New Day, A New Mock
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:35 am 

P.J. Hall measured 6-0 1/2, 308, ran 40 in 4.83/4.71 seconds, had 38 VJ, 9-8 BJ, 36 lifts. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:58 am 

FC wrote:
P.J. Hall measured 6-0 1/2, 308, ran 40 in 4.83/4.71 seconds, had 38 VJ, 9-8 BJ, 36 lifts. :lol:

I've heard there are off-field flags for Hall, but I haven't been able to find out what they are supposed to be.

BTW, Hall's mass adjusted explosion #s (Explosive Power) are the highest I've ever seen, and I've been putting them into a spreadsheet for more than 10 years.

Blaine Summer, the powerlifting champion and former NT at Colorado School of Mines was the closest. He measured 6015 335, ran 5.35, with a 32" VJ, and 9' 5" BJ. Oh, and he had 52 lifts of 225... future multiple World IPF and National Champion powerlifter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:06 pm 

I like the top 3 for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:01 pm 

thanks, cop

I think we often have pretty different prospect tastes, so it's interesting to me that you like it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:34 pm 

Honestly B2B, I’m trying to see why you love Moore so much, but just don’t see it. He looks athletically limited to me. Kinda slow, kinda weak, definitely small. His production looks to be more about scheme than talent. Some guys are excellent college players...don’t make good pros. I see a borderline NFLer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:22 pm 

Moore just Makes plays and that what this team needs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:18 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Honestly B2B, I’m trying to see why you love Moore so much, but just don’t see it. He looks athletically limited to me. Kinda slow, kinda weak, definitely small. His production looks to be more about scheme than talent. Some guys are excellent college players...don’t make good pros. I see a borderline NFLer.

It could be. But he made a ton of plays in the SEC, and it isn't as if he had a lot around him on that defense. I also have an affinity for LBs that don't go backwards when they tackle a RB, especially LBs who are such easy movers in space. So few ILBs in college can play zone coverage at anything beyond a rudimentary level. Moore is so natural at anticipating throws-- his huge INT total is no fluke.

He's not fast like Roquan, but Moore definitely has range.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:38 pm 

That top 3 is close to perfect.

Of course, I'd love a trade down to pick Bates in the early/mid second to get an extra top 100 pick. But we know the odds of that are very slim.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:15 am 

I think PJ Hall has a chance to be a 3rd round pick. It isn't just the freaky athleticism, it is the total domination he had in all aspects, even special teams.

He had 6 blocked FGs, 6 blocked extra points and 2 blocked punts! :shock:

Look at what he did on defense, 86.5 tackles for loss and 42 career sacks and 4 interceptions. Yeah, level of competition and all but that is pretty damn impressive, he is this year's Javon Hargrave and I think some 4-3 team takes him late 3rd round. I like the player but have a hard time figuring out how he fits with the Steelers as the Steelers can't even figure out a way to use Hargrave properly. Hall and Hargrave are DTs for a 4-3 defense and are miscast and underutilized in a 3-4.