It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Living in the wrong era mock
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:44 pm 

2T) Ronnie Harrison S Alabama- So on the evening the NFL announces its “new” lowering the helmet rule I’m mocking a hard hitting, in the box safety to the Steelers. Donnie Shell would dig this kid and yes, I still think you have to send a message despite the risk of an ejection. As is the title of this mock. I’m living in the wrong era of NFL football.

2.) Arden Key EDGE LSU- I’m not smart enough to know if Bud Dupree simply can’t rush the passer or isn’t permitted to the rush the passer. Either way he sucks. If Arden Key falls to the bottom of round 2 I’m drafting him. Then, I’m turning his ass loose on NFL quarterbacks. Piss on pass coverage. Kill the mother effing quarterback Kevin Greene style.

3T.) Equinemious St. Brown WR Notre Dame- Luxury pick here after a trade down. The Great Jimmy Johnson always said to draft with next year in mind. Well, next year Martavis Bryant won’t be on the team. This kid’s a “fast riser” and has some of the same physical tools as the Alien.

3.) Genard Avery LB Memphis- Old school hammer in the middle makes this a pick sure to draw criticism with so much rhetoric surrounding the need for coverage linebackers. Kid kind of reminds me of Donte’ Hightower who the Steelers attempted to sign last offseason. Fast riser who can rush the passer and cause chaos and mayhem in the backfield.

5T) Tim Settle NT Virgina Tech- Chad Reutter’s 5 rd post combine mock has Settle falling all the way to round 5. Grand larceny pick right here. Awful combine, but an old school run stuffing nose tackle in the Casey Hampton mold. Man, I miss the Big Snack. Getting old, Drama. Horrible feeling. Sigh.

5.) Mark Walton RB Miami- Really good running back who I think if this class weren’t so deep would be a day 2 pick. Kid lost both his parents, tough story. Pulling for this kid who I think can be a 3 down back and a nice complement to Leveon Bell this year and potentially start when Bell ultimately departs.

7T.) Dorean O’Daniel LB Clemson- Special teams used to matter in the NFL. Arguably none better at it than this kid whose lack of size could cause him to fall in the draft even though all this kid did at Clemson was make plays all over the damn field including two pick sixes this season. Dig him.

7.) Colby Gossett OL App St- Hubbard’s gone. Get back to work Munchak.

I KNOW the Steelers draft won’t look anything like this one. I just like a lot of these players. Man, I’m am soooo living in the wrong era of NFL football but like many of you I’ll still watch especially my beloved Steelers.

Post subject: Re: Living in the wrong era mock
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:27 pm 

I'm with you on being in the wrong era

I could live with Ronnie Harrison, but I think he's more of a solid box safety than a real playmaker. This defense needs playmakers!

I like the potential of Arden Key, but if you're just going to draft an edge guy to go get the QB, I think I'd rather make the safer bets of Okoronkwo or Ejiofor. Arden Key's off-field stuff is supposedly so bad that no one is willing to talk about it for fear it will make him radioactive.

I like ETIJSB. He's no freakin Martavius Bryant. I know people are saying that... but, c'mon. He ran 4.48, which is nice, but that's a full tenth slower than Bryant. I really like ETIJSB but I don't think he's going to be a big deep threat. I maintain that Miller is the really Steelers-like WR and it wouldn't surprise me if he goes off the board at 2.60.

Genard very is a fun football player but I truly think he's meant to be an edge or 4-3 SAM outside backer. He is just too slow and poor to play inside for my liking... but he sets the edge well and is a really good pass rusher with some bend/leverage.

Settle dropping out of the top 40-50 picks is ludicrous. He's young, a freak of nature, has an incredibly quick first step, plays looooooooowwwwwwwww. One of the great outcomes of trading down from 1.28 would be to add an extra pick that allows for, say, WR Anthony Miller, DT Tim Settle, and two of EDGE-ILB-S in Rd 2-3.

Walton is a nice player. Just a tremendously deep RB class. You're right, great story.

O'Daniel... all he does is make plays. Could be a fun package player and STer.

I'm no OL expert, but I don't like Gossett's build. He's small and top heavy. I know his name is out there a lot. I'll throw out a random name for you: Dave Steinmetz from Purdue. He's a transfer from Rhode Island with some raw tools and the Rams have another good one this year in Jamil Denby. An even bigger name and perhaps better name for an OL project for Munchak: Sandley Jean-Felix from Marshall. I watched 4 games of his... he's actually pretty good at both tackle spots. Could play guard. Is enormous.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:23 am 

Honestly, I see this as the format to the Steelers draft process. I would not be surprised if that's how the draft falls together. Good job Drama.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:50 am 

I am not convinced that Ronnie Harrison is just a box safety.

I like the player a lot and it is interesting to me that he weighed 207 during the combine but at his Pro Day where he finally ran, he posted a 4.56 40 at 219 pounds.

In terms of playmaking what is the criteria? Mike Hilton last season did not have very many interceptions, or fumble recoveries, etc. but he was a playmaker. Big plays to me can be done as a blitzer, or something as simple as coming up and making a clean tackle for no gain. Too often we have players on our defense that are too timid, don't look like they want to even make contact.

I have seen comparisons of Harrison to Adrian Wilson. Wilson was a guy who was big, could stop the run but he was so much more than that. He had seasons where he had 4, 5 INTs in a season. He also had seasons where he had 5 sacks, 8 sacks. Why can't Harrison be the next Adrian Wilson or Kam Chancellor?

If they do draft a 'Bama player in round 1 I hope it is Harrison over Evans.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:41 am 

Agree Drana- can’t stand this era, but I’ll still watch.

If the AAF were smart, they would do a few things. Go back to old school football, meaning don’t try to protect the players. It’s a dangerous sport. Either you want to play or not all at your own risk.

No new stupid rules that change the game.

Play in the fall.

Do that and I’ll watch.