It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This Is The Mock I Have Today... Long Way To Go
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:49 am 

1.28 LB Lorenzo Carter, Georgia (Considered RB Derrius Guice)
There's a risk attached, because–for all his talent and athleticism, he's not plug and play at any position... but he can take snaps immediately at both off-ball LB and edge rusher. His position flexibility is what makes this pick worthwhile.
2.60 FS Jesse Bates, Wake Forest (Considered EDGE Duke Ejiofor)
Fits need and team style like a glove. Also adds significant return ability. Ejiofor works if a RB or safety picked in Rd 1)
3.90 SS Shaquem Griffin, Central Florida (Considered S Jesse Bates) Convinced he's going to be a star playmaker, and this team seriously needs playmakers.
5.148 CB Nick Nelson, Wisconsin (Considered OL Damon Harrison) Can never have enough CBs, especially good, athletic ones.
5.165 RB Kalen Ballage, Arizona State Not the best runner in the class, but going to be a much better pro than college player. And he fits this offense perfectly.
7.220 WR Richie James, Middle Tennessee State Would loved to have had the luxury to pick Anthony Miller in Rd 2, but not getting one of those first three players is too big a price tag for a #4 WR, perhaps a #3 in 2019. Richie James's price tag is much better, and his play is much better than a typical 7th rounder. Somewhere between Santonio Holmes and Eli Rogers in the style category- really good after the catch, too.
7.246 LB Skai Moore, South Carolina Other than the utter hatred of Josh Allen and mystifying downgrading of Shaquem Griffin's tape, the valuation of Skai Moore as a UDFA by NFL Draft Scout is the biggest mystery of the mock draft season. Maybe he knows something about the neck injury? Moore seemed to play at the same level afterwards and he would make a nice complement to Jon Bostic.

Post subject: Re: This Is The Mock I Have Today... Long Way To Go
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:08 pm 

I would be very happy with that draft.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:39 pm 

I had Ballage and Chris Warren pretty close before today-- reports are that Chris Warren changed his start position for the 40 and ran somewhere around 4.53 at 6020 247lbs. At that kind of speed, I think he's a better runner than Ballage, and a far, far better blocker. Might take him in rd 5.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:31 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I had Ballage and Chris Warren pretty close before today-- reports are that Chris Warren changed his start position for the 40 and ran somewhere around 4.53 at 6020 247lbs. At that kind of speed, I think he's a better runner than Ballage, and a far, far better blocker. Might take him in rd 5.

247 is big enough that he could shed weight to gain some speed and quickness if he wanted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:40 pm 

Ice wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

247 is big enough that he could shed weight to gain some speed and quickness if he wanted.

Thing is: his agility and SS were top percentile. He is already very good in short area and COD. He has those Bettis quick feet in the hole. Again, I can’t figure out why draft experts aren’t all over him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:06 pm 

Solid B draft in my opinion. Not sure I love Lorenzo Carter in the first.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:24 pm 

My "fear" for lack of a better word is that Jesse Bates will be the Steelers' pick at 28. Day 2 where you have him much easier pill for me to swallow.

My guy is Lorenzo Carter. Off the charts character and leadership. Saw him play in person in high school and at Athens. Despite his 5-star status, I never thought he stood out enough during his 4 years at UGA to merit a 1st round selection although he certainly looks the part. Given my disdain for Bud Dupree, I'd be MUCH happier with him at 28 than Bates or the Reid kid.

Anyway, this looks like a Steelers type mock but I guess I am in the minority on Shaq Griffin. I just don't see the Steelers burning a day 2 pick on a player who looks best suited for a 4-3 weakside LB role like a Telvin Smith. Dig his story and makes a ton of plays despite his "handicap" I'm just not sold on the fit.

Running back has me frustrated this year in that part of me wants Bell back so a valuable early round draft pick isn't taken away from adding talent where it's more needed. The other part of me wants the Steelers to kick him and his outrageous salary demands to the curb. Assuming Bell shows up after what I'm sure will be a likely hold out, I like B2B's guy Ballage for his complimentary pass catching prowess. Totally the type of complementary back to pair with Bell. Don't sleep on Mark Walton and John Kelly on day 3 either. Value picks they are.

Oh and D-line I think is more than a minor omission. Hargrave bothers me. See him shoved around way too often. An upgrade or at least some competition is needed. But hey only so many picks to go around. Good stuff as always B2B.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:05 pm 

Decent try like some of the players just not where taken maybe. Can't see Bates lasting till end of 2nd. Carter is ok but have other preferences for Rd 1 like Evans or Vander Esch if going LB.

3 LBs and 2 DBs with no DL or OL help for our depth I can't see happening either.

I think if we go RB it'll be earlier like 2nd or 3rd round because they feel Bell is one year and gone. Otherwise just add a vet RB for depth purposes. I like
Guice, Michel and Kerryon Johnson early on to pair with Connor. Not fans of Warren or Ballage as I don't see either as fulltime backs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:35 pm 

Quote:
In a poll of five NFL executives regarding the best team-fit for UCF LB Shaquem Griffin, they offered up the Pittsburgh Steelers, Los Angeles Rams, Arizona Cardinals, New England Patriots and Baltimore Ravens.
Five executives, five different answers. NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah -- who conducted the informal poll -- writes that he "love[s]" the 6-foot, 227-pound Griffin "as a Will linebacker in a 4-3 scheme who can make plays in space." After being widely viewed as a Day 3 selection for the draft, Griffin came out and crushed the NFL Scouting Combine (after receiving his invite very, very late) with a blazing 40-yard dash run of 4.38 seconds. He's pushing up toward Day 2 at this juncture. Jeremiah sees his draft range beginning in the third round.
Source: NFL.com Mar 28 - 3:3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:55 pm 

SteelDrama wrote:
My "fear" for lack of a better word is that Jesse Bates will be the Steelers' pick at 28. Day 2 where you have him much easier pill for me to swallow.

Bates is a reach at 28 but long gone before 60. If he is their target I hope they consider moving down.