Missed that one. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 2018 Official Draft Visits
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:06 pm 

So...here's a strange one:

Quote:
Gil Brandt
‏Verified account @Gil_Brandt
2h2 hours ago

Another name to watch: Aussie Rugby player Jordan Mailata (6-8, 346) who's attempting conversion to football. Has visits lined up every day this week:

MON Washington
TUE Pittsburgh
WED Philadelphia
THU Cleveland
FRI LA Chargers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:24 pm 

Quote:
Mailata measured just shy of 6-foot-8 and weighed 346 pounds. His arms measured a massive 35.5 inches. He was timed at 5.12 seconds in the 40-yard dash, which would have been good for seventh among tackle participants at the NFL Combine in February. He also excelled in the short shuttle with a time (4.67 seconds) that would have been among the top 10 at his position. Mailata put up 22 reps on the bench press.

I would rather see his BJ and VJ numbers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:03 pm 

Pabst wrote:
So...here's a strange one:

Quote:
Gil Brandt
‏Verified account @Gil_Brandt
2h2 hours ago

Another name to watch: Aussie Rugby player Jordan Mailata (6-8, 346) who's attempting conversion to football. Has visits lined up every day this week:

MON Washington
TUE Pittsburgh
WED Philadelphia
THU Cleveland
FRI LA Chargers

Not a strange one at all... prototypical Mick Munchak elite size/length/athlete for OL conversion. Villanueva, Matt Feiler, Mihalik. I knew they were interested, because they helped run his "pro day workout".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:25 pm 

jebrick wrote:
Quote:
Mailata measured just shy of 6-foot-8 and weighed 346 pounds. His arms measured a massive 35.5 inches. He was timed at 5.12 seconds in the 40-yard dash, which would have been good for seventh among tackle participants at the NFL Combine in February. He also excelled in the short shuttle with a time (4.67 seconds) that would have been among the top 10 at his position. Mailata put up 22 reps on the bench press.

I would rather see his BJ and VJ numbers

also very young... I think 19. compare his size/length/speed numbers to similarly aged Tyron Smith

6050 307 36.375 arms 31 reps 4.93 29 VJ 9'01" BJ 4.68 SS 7.47 3 cone
6080 346 35.5 arms 22 reps 5.12 4.67 SS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:26 pm 

Now official:

Quote:
Bob Labriola
‏Verified account @BobLabriola

Draft visitor for 4/10: OL Jordan Mailata from Australia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:52 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:18 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

I know this wasn't your point, but this provides a perfect illustration of how different tackling is in rugby vs. football

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:10 am 

Saw this last week on yahoo. I think he'd fit well as DLine. OLine would be a lot more technical. DLine, still a huge learning curve. American football is far different than Rugby. Maybe, 7th RND'er? JMO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:27 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Saw this last week on yahoo. I think he'd fit well as DLine. OLine would be a lot more technical. DLine, still a huge learning curve. American football is far different than Rugby. Maybe, 7th RND'er? JMO

Setting up for a UDFA. Can't believe anyone would spend a draft pick on him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:35 am 

Don't understand the talk of him playing OT? That's a far greater learning curve IMHO. OT is really technical and is difficult to transition just from college to Pro's. For someone who has never played American football before OLine is a huge stretch. Guys that played in high school and college have hard time transitioning. DLine is more go get him, more cut and dry IMHO. Munchak helped Villanueva true, but Villy already was playing in a system while in college. It is certainly easier for a TE to transition than a Rugby player who has never played American football. Be interesting to see where this player goes and how his transition to American football unfolds.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:21 am 

I'm sure the interest is because there are just so few guys with that kind of size and movement skills. Planet theory.

If you want the least amount of learning curve, make him a RB or FB. It sounds ridiculous, but look at him planting guys in the open field. He knows how to run, but the footwork and hand technique alone is pretty hard to learn. I'm pretty sure Mihalik or one of those recent Munchak projects had never played OL before he started teaching them, looked awful at first, became a serviceable player in a year or two.

I look at it this way: there are high school kids who know nothing about the position or technique, get a year or two of very limited training, come to college with some skills. With his size and mobility, even slightly below average technique might still be pretty effective. Think about him as that 3rd big TE in a year or two. Worth a shot as a PFA or even a late round pick, if you really like what you saw of his progress in learning the position to this point.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:06 am 

Wow, I was just remembering Carlton Haselrig back in the day. Wrestler, never played football in college, but the Steelers drafted him in the 12th round in '89 if I remember that right.

I remember some thought, hey, make him play defense, maybe he can be a NT, but Noll was adamant about him playing guard. Haselrig made the Pro Bowl as a guard.

All I know is that we have probably the best offensive line coach in the NFL in Munchak and I think he could do wonders with this Rugby kid. Also, this is sort of in the Steelers DNA in terms of developing offensive linemen from unlikely sources. Whether it is turning a TE into a Pro Bowl RT like Larry Brown, or a wrestler into Pro Bowl Guard like Carlton Haselrig or a former WR turned into a Pro Bowl LT in Big Al (Many forget that Villy was recruited as a TE, then played DE, then Offensive tackle, and then ended his Army career in college as a WR!).

So, what I am trying to say, is that the Steelers have this down to a science. Bring him in as an UDFA, or take him in round 7.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:25 am 

Just my opinion...With the Steelers running his pro day and bringing him in for a visit I think they are trying to build a relationship so they can sign him as a UDFA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:49 am 

Quote:
Bob Labriola

Draft visitors 4/11: WR Russell Gage Jr., from LSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:27 pm 

Quote:
Goedert’s schedule has included the New Orleans Saints, Los Angeles Chargers, Seattle Seahawks, Baltimore Ravens, Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, Jacksonville Jaguars, Pittsburgh Steelers, Oakland Raiders, New York Giants and New York Jets, or basically half the league. http://draftanalyst.com/tight-end-boards-it’s-anyone’s-guess
Can put this in the 'unconfirmed' visits for now I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:15 pm 

Quote:
Bob Labriola

Draft visitor for 4/13: WR Christian Kirk from Texas A&M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:25 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
Goedert’s schedule has included the New Orleans Saints, Los Angeles Chargers, Seattle Seahawks, Baltimore Ravens, Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, Jacksonville Jaguars, Pittsburgh Steelers, Oakland Raiders, New York Giants and New York Jets, or basically half the league. http://draftanalyst.com/tight-end-boards-it’s-anyone’s-guess
Can put this in the 'unconfirmed' visits for now I guess.

I'm not sure if that means he had a visit, or he's just met with the Steelers. I know they sent a rep to his pro day

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:59 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Quote:
Bob Labriola

That'd be a 1.28 play. I wonder if it isn't a little too much like having two Jujus.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:49 pm 

Ice wrote:
Pabst wrote:
Quote:
Bob Labriola

That'd be a 1.28 play. I wonder if it isn't a little too much like having two Jujus.

You think this guy is a first rounder?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:10 am 

Bilal Nichols...

Quote:
Nichols will be on an official visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers tomorrow. http://draftanalyst.com/nfl-draft-news-notes-april-15

I don't know about Goedert either, Pabst. I haven't seen him linked to the Steelers other than that article so....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:11 am 

I do not think Christian Kirk is a 1st rounder, and I don't really like him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:20 am 

Nichols is confirmed, and apparently they really like LSU...that's the 3rd visit on top of going to the Pro Day.

Quote:
Bob Labriola

Draft visitors 4/16: DL Gregory Gilmore from LSU; DT Bilal Nichols from Delaware

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:16 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Nichols is confirmed, and apparently they really like LSU...that's the 3rd visit on top of going to the Pro Day.

Quote:
Bob Labriola

Draft visitors 4/16: DL Gregory Gilmore from LSU; DT Bilal Nichols from Delaware

Those two LSU linemen are good fits and underrated.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:21 pm 

I'm relatively sure that Labriola doesn't report the guys who come in on weekends & holidays.

Quote:
South Carolina State linebacker Darius Leonard announced he had arrived in Pittsburgh on Friday night via his Instagram account, presumably ahead of a meeting with the Steelers the next day.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/14/lb-darius-leonard-in-pittsburgh-ahead-of-presumed-meeting-with-steelers/