It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steelers meeting...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:43 pm 

I really do like Joshua Frazier as that last 7th rounder/UDFA. Not that I think he is a great prospect but I think Dunbar would love to have this former pupil to come in and be able to use him to help show techniques. It is one thing to show videos of what you want your players to do, quite another to have a player that you can use to illustrate what you want done in camp. Even if he does not make the team, spending a 7th on Frazier would be worth it from that standpoint. Really excited to see what Dunbar can do with our defensive line, the previous coaching has been underwhelming the past few years.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:21 pm 

I don’t mind Frazier but I think he’s a UDFA.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:47 am 

Hey B2B I wanted to ask you about Washington. What you don't like about him?

I have seen some criticize him for not jumping up for footballs. I don't know if that is valid or not. I have seen him fight for footballs, have seen him leap up and his vertical is just average, 34.5 inches but I don't find that a negative.

To me I often see WRs too enamored with leaving their feet. I think back to Jerry Rice and what made him so great is that he ran to and through the catch. And I think at the very heart of the matter that is what makes a great deep threat too. Being able to run to, under and then through the catch. Making it easy for your QB to throw deep to you. If you are leaving your feet to fight for the football, then in all likelihood you haven't really beat the CB have you? And your chances of cleanly catching the ball, finding your feet upon landing and then breaking the tackle are probably greatly reduced.

When I see Washington I see CBs get lulled to sleep with his slow start but then he has that build up speed and blows right by them. Now some argue hey he will get stymied when he has to face man to man coverage and is jammed at the line. Well, we will see, he is just solid, well developed not just up top but in his lower half. I have seen him be more physical, use a stiff arm, he really is built like a RB and moves and plays physically like that. I think just like JuJu he is greater than the sum of his parts. I really like that the Steelers are looking at different type of WRs. It used to be we went with the Brown/Sanders types and then the freak athletes like Bryant/Coates but there is this large middle area where players like JuJu (and maybe Washington) reside and can be mined in the draft.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:19 am 

It's not the vertical jump it's how they use it.

Washington had a VJ of 39" at his pro day, but plays stuck to the ground, a la Mike Wallace and Jeff Janis, both of whom had big VJs. His hands are seriously questionable, and it's my contention that tighter and more physical coverage in the NFL is going to bring out the worst in him. I believe he will struggle to get open on his own, which was how he was winning in college. Capable of strong plays but I don't expect that to be consistent in the NFL. Not sure he's a clutch/pressure player.

Quote:
Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline hears that Oklahoma State WR James Washington struggled during Thursday's pro day.

"[Washington] dropped a number of passes including a few which bounced off his hands on go routes," Pauline writes. The analyst also hears that the 5-foot-11, 213-pounder was unable to match his combine 40-yard dash time of 4.54 seconds. That he was running it again to begin with is at least somewhat telling -- many top prospects opt to simply sit on their combine testing numbers on pro day. Washington posted a composite athletic score in the 37th percentile of NFL wideouts when all was said and done in Indianapolis.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:11 pm 

Quote:
Josh Norris

Verified account

@JoshNorris
1h1 hour ago
More
Stanford S Justin Reid has 5 visits scheduled for April:

#Eagles
#Lions
#Steelers
#Panthers
#Seahawks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 am 

Quote:
@AaronWilson_NFL
North Carolina guard R.J. Prince has a meeting with the Pittsburgh Steelers following his Pro Day workout on April 3, according to a source https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/sta ... 9876902912
OLine has been thinning with Hubbard gone and Hawkins, Finney and Feiler left. They'll bring in more players adding competition.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:25 pm 

Quote:
@Eric_Edholm
Villanova DB Trey Johnson (5-11, 187) had strong pro day today

40- 4.33
VJ -36.
BJ 10’8
4.20 SS

Met afterward with Giants, Jags, Eagles, Packers, Steelers, raiders, Bears. Under radar but should end up on a90-man roster https://twitter.com/Eric_Edholm/status/ ... -corner%2F
Quote:
Linebacker Jerome Baker also stood on his combine numbers, though he did tip the scales at 234 pounds today, five pounds above his combine weight. Baker interviewed with the Pittsburgh Steelers. http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-%E2%80%93-ohio-state

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:38 pm 

Quote:
Trey Johnson - DB - Wildcats
Villanova DB Trey Johnson met with the Giants, Jaguars, Eagles, Packers, Steelers, Raiders and Bears after his pro day workout last week.
The unheralded Johnson (5'11/187) really opened some eyes after his strong pro day. He posted a 4.33 40, a 4.20 short shuttle, a 36-inch vertical and a 10-foot-8 broad jump. Per Tony Pauline of Draft Analyst, Johnson looked "smooth and fluid" in position drills. Johnson will be a priority UDFA if he can't convince a team to make a late Day 3 call.
Source: USA Today Mar 25 - 12:40 PM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:39 pm 

Quote:
@JustinM_NFL
.@GatorsFB DB Duke Dawson has private meetings and/or workouts scheduled with the #Steelers, #Panthers, #Saints and #Buccaneers. https://twitter.com/JustinM_NFL/status/ ... teelers%2F
Another DB? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:51 am 

Quote:
Unlike the Houston Texans, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Indianapolis Colts, Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles, the Cowboys did not do a formal interview with Jefferson at the NFL Scouting Combine earlier this month when Jefferson wowed with a performance as strong as any linebacker in the draft. http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl ... 97004.html
Did not see this last week. Hmmm....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next