It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What will be our final tally of draft picks?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:09 am 

seabs926 wrote:
An additional consideration is JJ Wilcox. Overthecap is projecting him as a FA gained (even though we traded for him) since he signed his contract with Tampa the same off season he was traded to us. I emailed them about this and they essentially said "it's common knowledge that FAs signed and traded in the same off season count as a FA gained for the team acquiring the player, even if they give up compensation". I was completely unaware of this and still not sure if it's true as I can't find another example of this happening.

I bet we get a token 7th round comp pick due to the net value rule b2b outlined.

If Wilcox counts, then I don’t think we’ll get a comp pick. It would be a very close call at best.

By the way, that trade was terrible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:48 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
seabs926 wrote:
An additional consideration is JJ Wilcox. Overthecap is projecting him as a FA gained (even though we traded for him) since he signed his contract with Tampa the same off season he was traded to us. I emailed them about this and they essentially said "it's common knowledge that FAs signed and traded in the same off season count as a FA gained for the team acquiring the player, even if they give up compensation". I was completely unaware of this and still not sure if it's true as I can't find another example of this happening.

I bet we get a token 7th round comp pick due to the net value rule b2b outlined.

If Wilcox counts, then I don’t think we’ll get a comp pick. It would be a very close call at best.

By the way, that signing was terrible.

I'll admit to having likely higher hopes than I should have and being disappointed. Given how well Haden worked out when healthy, I'm almost willing to forgive the gambles on Wilcox and (previously) Gilbert, though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:13 pm 

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/re ... raft-pick/

Steelers get a 6th rd pick for Cockrell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:17 pm 

SteelDrama wrote:
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/report-steelers-trade-cb-ross-cockrell-giants-nets-6th-round-draft-pick/

Huge. That's the second overall pick in the sixth round, #162 overall, just six picks after our pick in the fifth round.

I'll say this about the compensatory formula: the predictions have consistently undersold what the Steelers actually end up getting for years now. Literally no one saw a third rounder coming back last year. If I'm a betting man I'd say we at least get a 7th.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:22 pm 

That's definitely better news than I'd hoped.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:28 pm 

SteelDrama wrote:
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/report-steelers-trade-cb-ross-cockrell-giants-nets-6th-round-draft-pick/

That is SWEET.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:06 am 

Great news.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:06 am 

Quote:
FA Lost
Lawrence Timmons - MIA - LB

2yr/$12m=$6m AAV

Played 78% of MIA Snaps on Defense.

5th Round Value

Markus Wheaton - CHI - WR

2yr/$11m=$5.5m AAV

Played 19% of CHI Snaps on Offense.

5th-round value based on contract, could be sixth round due to lack of playing time.

FA Gain
Tyson Alualu - JAX - DL

2yr/$6m=$3m AAV

Played 44% of PIT Snaps on Defense.

6th Round Value

Coty Sensabaugh - NYG - CB

2yr/$2.6m=$1.3m AAV

Played 23% of PIT Snaps on Defense.

7th Round Value

In this cancellation chart, the Contract’s signed by Alualu and Sensabaugh cancel out the contract of Wheaton, which in turn leaves the contract of Timmons as the reason why the Steelers could be awarded a fifth-round compensatory pick. https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/n ... ce=twitter
Would be great to see a 5th RND compensatory pick.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:51 am 

Wilcox counts as a FA for the purpose of the comp picks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:28 pm 

and the cancellation doesn't work like that... the contracts of Alualu & Wilcox cancel Timmons and Wheaton. Beyond that, since the cancelling contracts (+ Sensabaugh) are still more than 50% of the lost players' contracts (11.475:7.425), the Steelers are unlikely to get the maximum benefit they might have if the new contracts were less than 50% avg value of the players lost, which would be-- at best-- a 7th round comp after the normal 7th round comps (provided there weren't already a full round of comp picks).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next