It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First mock attempt
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 pm 

Home sick had nothing better to do today.

1. 28) Rashaan Evans ILB 6'2 232 Alabama-Fills a glaring need. Evans is already a polished ILB. Be a first [I think] for Colbert drafting a bama player.
2. 60) Dorance Armstrong OLB 6'3 246 Kansas-Although Kansas sucked badly this season Armstrong was the lone stand out on that defense. Tackling machine.
3. 92) Jessie Bates III FS 6'1 195 Wake Forest-A tackling machine, ball hawking, punt returning, high football IQ student of the game.
5. 139) Jake Wieneke WR 6'4 218 South Dakota State-A touchdown machine. May not last to the 5th RND. He is currently very underrated. Career of 59 TD's and 288 receptions for 5,157 yards.
5. 156) John Kelly RB 5'9 205 Tennessee-A downhill runner 189 rushes for 778 yards, 9TD's. A pass catching RB with 37 receptions for 299 yards. He falls because of a marijuana possession arrest resulting in his suspension for 1 game.
7. 220) Nathan Shepherd DT 6'4 310 Fort Hays State-A small school unknown until blowing up the Senior Bowl. Raw/Project. Perfect 7th RND'er.

Post subject: Re: First mock attempt
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:52 pm 

I like it.

I would rather spend a 3rd on a RB and then get my safety with that early 5th round pick, most people forget that we didn't really give the 49ers a 4th round pick as much as we moved down from our late 4th round pick to their early 5th round pick.

Anyway, I really have taken a liking to TJ Watt's teammate at Wisconsin, Natrell Jamerson. He is 6'0" 200, runs in the 4.50-4.55 range (might run faster than that at the combine), has played CB, S, didn't get a chance to be a starter until later in his college career. I was real impressed with his special teams play too. Might be one of the two or three best special teams players in the whole draft. I saw highlights of him running down the field and catching the punt inside the 5 yard line. He has good return ability as well. Had a TD on an INT and a TD on a kick return.

I am hoping he slides to the 5th round. I think he is another Micah Hyde.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:59 pm 

Thanks for the kind words sir. You may like this mock then Scunge. Reuter 3 RND mock: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... at-pick-qb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:34 am 

How bout...
Tremaine Edmunds ILB
Kerryon Johnson RB
Jessie Bates III FS
Jake Wieneke WR
Ja'Von Rolland-Jones OLB
Brandon Facyson CB
Nathan Shepherd DT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:02 am 

Bates has seemed to me to be a bit allergic to run support. But he is a ballhawk with some speed.

Shepard is not falling to the 7th round. He is one of the better UTs/3-techs in the draft. Just because of his LOC he will fall to the 3rd but he will be a steal there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:13 am 

Thanks brick. I like Shepherd and I believe he fits the Steelers type mold for the DLine. He can play anywhere on the line. Bates is a ball hawk with return capabilities. That speaks to his athleticism and football IQ. Perfect fit for FS. Johnson is a newby to me. I really think the Steelers are 'secretly' in the draft market for another RB. Johnson is a real close version of Bell. Edmunds/Evans I'm hoping one of them are there. ILB is high up the priority list for me. Rolland-Jones is intriguing to me. A lot of college production but little hype for a guy with that much production. Perhaps he flies up the ranks after the underwear olympics. Wieneke I think will not fall to the end of the 5th either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:18 am 

Shepard would be a waste as a 3-4 DE. Not that he would not be good at it but it would be a waste of his talent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:57 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I really think the Steelers are 'secretly' in the draft market for another RB. Johnson is a real close version of Bell.

Drawing some talking head comparisons to Bell, and it bears out a little bit on tape, with the hesitation and jump-cutting. I'll be interested to see speed and agility numbers. Would ideally like some more breakaway ability from that position.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:16 pm 

Perhaps Shepherd could be that push Hargrave requires and they both develop as good noses as a result? If you look at the draft profile nfl network zierlen has him as a 4i or 5 tech going in the 4-5 RND range. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/ ... id=2559892
Not sure he fits the UT description. Usually that's an undersized DE that's shifted inside. So you believe the Steelers should look at transitioning back to a 4-3?

I agree ice. Miss those days of the faster than fast RB's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:44 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Perhaps Shepherd could be that push Hargrave requires and they both develop as good noses as a result? If you look at the draft profile nfl network zierlen has him as a 4i or 5 tech going in the 4-5 RND range. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/ ... id=2559892
Not sure he fits the UT description. Usually that's an undersized DE that's shifted inside. So you believe the Steelers should look at transitioning back to a 4-3?

I agree ice. Miss those days of the faster than fast RB's.

Do you want an NT that demands a double and plays 2-gap or go you want a 3 tech? I would think with the current problems the Steelers had with power running teams they would want a solid 2 gap NT ( like Tim Settle). Shapard will be a terror in a 1 gap system.

Shepard does not fit the standard mold for a Steeler DE. That being 6'5+ and 300lbs. ( he is 1" short :-) ) They they are paying Heyward and Tuitt.

I would like to see the Steelers go to a hybrid front 7. 2 players playing 2 gap and 2 players playing 1 gap. NE does this with 2 DTs and generally 1 DE plus a OLB. But the Steelers are not changing the defense until the floor drops out and they are drafting in the top 10.