It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turn the Key, Tomlin
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:51 am 

2T) Arden Key 6’5 255 EDGE LSU- Most of you already stopped reading. Hear me out. You gotta think pre-injuries with this kid. Key in 2016 was rivaled only by last year’s top pick Myles Garrett as the nation’s top edge rusher. Then, injuries and personal issues side tracked what looked to be a sure top 5 selection. Rumors now that he could fall out of the 1st round. IF he does...I’m in. If the real Arden Key shows up, Bud Dupree will find his way to the bench in short order…more on that in a second.

3T) Ogbonnia Okoronkwo 6’1 243 EDGE Oklahoma- “Oko? Again Drama?” Yes. Again. I’ve got Key eventually taking over Bust’s errrr Bud’s spot and “Oko” here is going to push TJ Watt inside. I’ve watched some senior bowl practice and some of the game... I see some Greg Lloyd in this kid. Just Plain Nasty.

3T) Armani Watts 5’11 191 FS Texas A&M- Can’t pull the trigger on this kid in rd 2…early round 3 I’m down. Charles Davis touched upon it in practice this week saying too often he just throws his body and hopes to hit something. Wrap up, son. Still, I can’t help that think Tomlin will dig this kid’s Alpha mentality and draft him sooner than I would.

3) Darius Leonard 6’2 228 ILB South Carolina St- Broke Deacon Jones school record for tackles. Daniel Jeremiah said he fits the mold of the trendy speed ‘backer such as Deion Jones, Kwan Alexander, telvin Smith etc. Cranky ass Mayock said he improved as the week went on. Came with in a finger of saving a touchdown in the redzone TD to some kid named Conklin early in the 3rd qtr and finished the game with an impressive 14 tackles. He’ll cover the ground Vince Williams can’t next to Watt in the middle.

4T) BJ Hill 6’3 321 NT North Carolina St- Big, powerful ‘sum bitch that will instantly solidify the middle of the defensive line. His teammate Justin Jones had an impressive Senior Bowl week as well.

5T) Fred Warner 6’4 235 LB BYU- FC’s guy caught the attention of Moody Mike Mayock and Daniel Jeremiah this week. Kid really closes on the football and has the versatility to play all linebacker positions. 7 ints no joke for a linebacker.

5.) Javon Rolland-Jones 6’1 245 EDGE Arkansas St- Hell no I’ve never seen an Arkansas St game, but I can read and watch youtube highlights. This War Daddy came within half a sack of tying Terrell Suggs FBS sack record (44).

7T) Trequan Smith 6’1 202 WR Central Florida- Some WRs surprised me with their strong play this week at the Senior Bowl including this Smitty fella. No, he’s not DJ Chark, but he did catch a TD from somebody named Mike White in the 1st quarter.

7.) Shaquem Griffin 6'1 223 OLB Central Florida- Give the kid an invite to the combine already!

Thanks as always for reading. Pretty entertaining Senior Bowl. I liked a lot of players that I’m sure will be discussed here leading up to the draft.

Post subject: Re: Turn the Key, Tomlin
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:46 pm 

We know they need an ILB, but they really need an edge rusher or two, still. I wouldn’t be opposed to moving Watt inside now and shifting draft focus to OLB, again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:33 pm 

Not that it was only my idea, but i was saying to moving Watt inside the moment Shazier went down, maybe Tomlins gut will move him there who knows...also no clue what to do about OLB...how many 1st rnd picks are we gonna send Tomlin and Porter to screw up, i firmly believe its those 2 now that are mostly holding back our OLBs, 'cept for Jervis who just sucked period.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:11 pm 

I would have moved Watt to ILB in certain packages when VWill had to leave the field before Shaz went down. Now if they move him they'll still need to replace the Mack.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:24 pm 

Am I the only who thinks moving Watt inside is a terrible idea? Watt's future is on the outside. While he has looked good in coverage on one side of the field, I think sticking him in the middle is asking a lot of him. While he is comfortable in coverage, I think he would get exposed on the inside as a marginal coverage guy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:40 pm 

smithessmokin wrote:
Am I the only who thinks moving Watt inside is a terrible idea? Watt's future is on the outside. While he has looked good in coverage on one side of the field, I think sticking him in the middle is asking a lot of him. While he is comfortable in coverage, I think he would get exposed on the inside as a marginal coverage guy.

maybe not ideal but in season with the other alternatives i thought it was worth a shot smithessmokin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:00 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
smithessmokin wrote:

maybe not ideal but in season with the other alternatives i thought it was worth a shot smithessmokin

I had no problem with this as an option during the season, but now that we are looking ahead towards the future I don't think its a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:54 am 

I hate the pass rushers in this draft....I also feel Key has the potential to be great. Oko in round 3 I can understand

I believe the inside linebacker crop is once a generation(Unreal value after round 3)

I expect TJ Watt continues to play OLB

I really want to turn over the bottom of the roster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:03 am 

FC wrote:
I hate the pass rushers in this draft...I also feel Key has the potential to be great. Oko in round 3 I can understand

I believe the inside linebacker crop is once a generation(Unreal value after round 3)

I expect TJ Watt continues to play OLB

I really want to turn over the bottom of the roster

I would say I have guys that I like for OLB, far more that I am uncertain of.

ILB is loaded.

The bottom of this roster, especially at LB sucks. Seriously need to get rid of everyone except Watt, Dupree, and Williams. Everyone else sucks and it is not even close. Safety really sucks too outside of Davis and Golden(to a degree, good special teams player).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:09 am 

Watt was one of the best coverage LBers in the NFL this past season, not just for a rookie either. Also, the Steelers moved him around a lot. I saw him lined up left, right, sometimes in the middle, he was not just pigeonholed, they did not have to dumb things down for him.

As a former TE in college, he is a natural in coverage, looks natural and had unreal length and reach. He really seemed to have a knack for knowing how to squeeze the window that the QB had to throw to a WR/TE/RB. Why would you not want him in the middle of the field? As the centerpiece of a defense, as a MLB he would be in the thick of things on every play. I literally do see a player that could be like Brian Urlacher was as a MLB, able to drop into coverage and thrive.

Well, then some say who would you have play the weak side OLB? Well, in a 4-3 that player is typically smaller, think Telvin Smith of Jacksonville, he is 6'3" 218. I look at this year's draft and I see all kinds of Will OLBs, hybrid LBer/S types that would be great.

Ronnie Harrison just a safety? Why limit him to just that? Yeah at 6'3" 216, you want him close to the line of scrimmage anyway, but he also had 7 INTs the past 3 years. Why not have him just seek and destroy from the backside of the defense?

Terrell Edmunds is 6'2" 220 runs a 4.58, why is he a mere safety prospect? Why couldn't he be a Telvin Smith Will OLB?

Kyzier White, 6'2" 218, 4.57 why couldn't he be a Will OLB? Somebody to run down plays and cause havoc?

Skai Moore, 6'2" 218, 4.59, he played OLB in college not a safety but he had 10 INTs the past 3 years. All of these players all fall into that new age hybrid/linebacker, Will 4-3 OLB. These players are available every draft.

Just like finding DEs for a 4-3, I am looking for 3-4 OLB types but I don't care about whether they can drop into coverage. I also don't care about them playing 80% of the snaps either. Rotation, rotation, rotation!!!!

You draft somebody like Dorance Armstrong Jr 6'4" 240 and James Hearns 6'3" 250 (15 sacks and 9 forced fumbles the past two years) with your 3rd and 5th round picks and add them to your 4-3 defensive line, have them each play 40-45% of the snaps rotating at DE. I see plenty of Carl Lawson type of pass rushing DEs in this draft that we could snag with our 3rd, and/or two 5th round picks.

In a lot of ways, this 2018 draft is perfect to procure the players needed to immediately switch to a 4-3 defense.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:36 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Watt was one of the best coverage LBers in the NFL this past season, not just for a rookie either. Also, the Steelers moved him around a lot. I saw him lined up left, right, sometimes in the middle, he was not just pigeonholed, they did not have to dumb things down for him.

As a former TE in college, he is a natural in coverage, looks natural and had unreal length and reach. He really seemed to have a knack for knowing how to squeeze the window that the QB had to throw to a WR/TE/RB. Why would you not want him in the middle of the field? As the centerpiece of a defense, as a MLB he would be in the thick of things on every play. I literally do see a player that could be like Brian Urlacher was as a MLB, able to drop into coverage and thrive.

Well, then some say who would you have play the weak side OLB? Well, in a 4-3 that player is typically smaller, think Telvin Smith of Jacksonville, he is 6'3" 218. I look at this year's draft and I see all kinds of Will OLBs, hybrid LBer/S types that would be great.

Ronnie Harrison just a safety? Why limit him to just that? Yeah at 6'3" 216, you want him close to the line of scrimmage anyway, but he also had 7 INTs the past 3 years. Why not have him just seek and destroy from the backside of the defense?

Terrell Edmunds is 6'2" 220 runs a 4.58, why is he a mere safety prospect? Why couldn't he be a Telvin Smith Will OLB?

Kyzier White, 6'2" 218, 4.57 why couldn't he be a Will OLB? Somebody to run down plays and cause havoc?

Skai Moore, 6'2" 218, 4.59, he played OLB in college not a safety but he had 10 INTs the past 3 years. All of these players all fall into that new age hybrid/linebacker, Will 4-3 OLB. These players are available every draft.

Just like finding DEs for a 4-3, I am looking for 3-4 OLB types but I don't care about whether they can drop into coverage. I also don't care about them playing 80% of the snaps either. Rotation, rotation, rotation!!!!

You draft somebody like Dorance Armstrong Jr 6'4" 240 and James Hearns 6'3" 250 (15 sacks and 9 forced fumbles the past two years) with your 3rd and 5th round picks and add them to your 4-3 defensive line, have them each play 40-45% of the snaps rotating at DE. I see plenty of Carl Lawson type of pass rushing DEs in this draft that we could snag with our 3rd, and/or two 5th round picks.

In a lot of ways, this 2018 draft is perfect to procure the players needed to immediately switch to a 4-3 defense.

Love your thoughts Scunge but Tomlin and this coaching staff are as stale as month old bread.