It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Turn the Key, Tomlin
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:36 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Watt was one of the best coverage LBers in the NFL this past season, not just for a rookie either. Also, the Steelers moved him around a lot. I saw him lined up left, right, sometimes in the middle, he was not just pigeonholed, they did not have to dumb things down for him.

As a former TE in college, he is a natural in coverage, looks natural and had unreal length and reach. He really seemed to have a knack for knowing how to squeeze the window that the QB had to throw to a WR/TE/RB. Why would you not want him in the middle of the field? As the centerpiece of a defense, as a MLB he would be in the thick of things on every play. I literally do see a player that could be like Brian Urlacher was as a MLB, able to drop into coverage and thrive.

Well, then some say who would you have play the weak side OLB? Well, in a 4-3 that player is typically smaller, think Telvin Smith of Jacksonville, he is 6'3" 218. I look at this year's draft and I see all kinds of Will OLBs, hybrid LBer/S types that would be great.

Ronnie Harrison just a safety? Why limit him to just that? Yeah at 6'3" 216, you want him close to the line of scrimmage anyway, but he also had 7 INTs the past 3 years. Why not have him just seek and destroy from the backside of the defense?

Terrell Edmunds is 6'2" 220 runs a 4.58, why is he a mere safety prospect? Why couldn't he be a Telvin Smith Will OLB?

Kyzier White, 6'2" 218, 4.57 why couldn't he be a Will OLB? Somebody to run down plays and cause havoc?

Skai Moore, 6'2" 218, 4.59, he played OLB in college not a safety but he had 10 INTs the past 3 years. All of these players all fall into that new age hybrid/linebacker, Will 4-3 OLB. These players are available every draft.

Just like finding DEs for a 4-3, I am looking for 3-4 OLB types but I don't care about whether they can drop into coverage. I also don't care about them playing 80% of the snaps either. Rotation, rotation, rotation!!!!

You draft somebody like Dorance Armstrong Jr 6'4" 240 and James Hearns 6'3" 250 (15 sacks and 9 forced fumbles the past two years) with your 3rd and 5th round picks and add them to your 4-3 defensive line, have them each play 40-45% of the snaps rotating at DE. I see plenty of Carl Lawson type of pass rushing DEs in this draft that we could snag with our 3rd, and/or two 5th round picks.

In a lot of ways, this 2018 draft is perfect to procure the players needed to immediately switch to a 4-3 defense.

Love your thoughts Scunge but Tomlin and this coaching staff are as stale as month old bread.