It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steelers meeting...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:19 am 

Quarterback

Lamar Jackson/Louisville
Mason Rudolph/Oklahoma State

Running Back

Kerryon Johnson/Auburn (informal)

Tight End

Durham Smythe/Notre Dame
Troy Fumagalli/Wisconsin
Mike Gesicki/Penn State
Ian Thomas/Indiana
Dallas Goedert/South Dakota State
Will Dissly/Washington
Hayden Hurst/South Carolina

Wide Receiver

James Washington/Oklahoma State

Defensive Line

Da’Ron Payne/Alabama
Harrison Phillips/Stanford
Derrick Nnadi/Florida State

Inside Linebacker

Rashaan Evans/Alabama
Shaun Dion Hamilton/Alabama
Leighton Vander Esch/Boise State
Jerome Baker/Ohio State

Safety

Ronnie Harrison/Alabama
Justin Reid/Stanford
Minkah Fitzpatrick/Alabama (informal)
Jessie Bates/Wake Forest

Sources: Jeremy Fowler, Steel City Insider, Joe Rutter, Gregg Bell, Joe Everett, Directly from select players
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/20 ... -updating/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:03 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Great-- another JAG backup RB would be sweet. lol

We do what we do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:51 pm 

I'm surprised by all the interest in the TE's.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:37 pm 

cop1211 wrote:

I'm not, frankly. I think the last two years have really been a wakeup call for what could be in the middle of the field. McDonald played pretty well, but he's had injury issues that have made him unavailable AND he's all salary this year-- there's no cap hit if they cut him. Jesse was hurt all of last year, but is pretty much shown to be an underneath relief option thusfar. He hasn't been a great blocker but has been decent. Grimble seems to have plateaued.

One thing I have read numerous times about Fitchner is: he LOVES to substitute liberally and rotate skill position players. He enjoys figuring out ways to use different kinds of players and matchups.

My guess is: however many WRs and TEs and RBs are active on gameday, they're all going to be used for something.

So, it's not outrageous to think they could add a 3rd guy or that they could add someone near the top of the draft, even, to take McDonald's job.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:24 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
cop1211 wrote:

I'm not, frankly. I think the last two years have really been a wakeup call for what could be in the middle of the field. McDonald played pretty well, but he's had injury issues that have made him unavailable AND he's all salary this year-- there's no cap hit if they cut him. Jesse was hurt all of last year, but is pretty much shown to be an underneath relief option thusfar. He hasn't been a great blocker but has been decent. Grimble seems to have plateaued.

One thing I have read numerous times about Fitchner is: he LOVES to substitute liberally and rotate skill position players. He enjoys figuring out ways to use different kinds of players and matchups.

My guess is: however many WRs and TEs and RBs are active on gameday, they're all going to be used for something.

So, it's not outrageous to think they could add a 3rd guy or that they could add someone near the top of the draft, even, to take McDonald's job.

I agree, b2b, as much as I like Vance (he hasn't proven he'll stay healthy). I doubt they would cut both he and James, but doing so would save almost $6.25 million on the cap this year without much dead money at all ($52K for James).

Next question is, how much are Trey Burton, AS-J or Cameron Brate gonna demand per year in FA? I like Brate better than Vance actually; underrated athlete, great red zone and very good blocker. What's he gonna cost you think?

Edit: oops, just realized Brate is a RFA, oh well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:11 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
cop1211 wrote:

Jesse James was hurt last year? Undisclosed? Anyway, If Vance was reliable I think they'd be pretty set @ the position. That's a big If. I'm happy with Jesse @ the #2, I'm not comfortable with him forced into the starting role 9 games a year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:36 pm 

Yeah, Steelers said he was injured last year. I think that was Colbert in Indy who said it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:54 am 

Yeah, when I was first suggesting the Steelers trade for McDonald last May, I thought his contract was very manageable, the first 3 years anyway. The contract that the 49ers gave him was weird and structured funny in the backend.

His last two years are club options and the base salary escalates to $5.5 million. If he plays well and really emerges then that $5.5 million base is a bargain, if he is injury prone and teases then he will be cut. I agree that Grimble has stalled, just really did not see any development last season. If Ben wants to play for 3 years or more, then adding a talented TE for that stretch makes sense. You see what Ben did with Green and McDonald in such a small amount of targets and then think what he could do with that type of TE over an entire season. Having that type of explosive TE could be one of the missing pieces to Ben having a true NFL MVP season.

Just like last year, I see the Steelers spending a top pick, rounds 1-3, on an offensive player. It could be RB, TE or WR. Or it could even be an OL.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:14 am 

Quote:
@SimonAChester
Source told me today there were as many as 28 different #NFL teams represented by scouts at the MTSU Pro Day including #Steelers scout Rich Reiprish. Apparently, CB Charvarius Ward put on a show for those in attendance. https://twitter.com/SimonAChester/statu ... pro-day%2F
I think they were there for the WR James. But I'm more interested in Ward. 8-)
Ward Measurables:
10 1/8 Hand

32 1/4 Arm

77 1/4 wingspan

37.5 Vert

132 Broad

4.43-4.46 40-yard dash

12 Bench Reps

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
@SimonAChester
Source told me today there were as many as 28 different #NFL teams represented by scouts at the MTSU Pro Day including #Steelers scout Rich Reiprish. Apparently, CB Charvarius Ward put on a show for those in attendance. https://twitter.com/SimonAChester/statu ... pro-day%2F
I think they were there for the WR James. But I'm more interested in Ward. 8-)
Ward Measurables:
10 1/8 Hand

32 1/4 Arm

77 1/4 wingspan

37.5 Vert

132 Broad

4.43-4.46 40-yard dash

12 Bench Reps

Cousin of Glover Quin and Darius Butler.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next