It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Uncomfortable Shazier article
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 pm 

Again, the question I have is, why would the NFL even need to twist the narrative?

The controversies around NFL injuries is centered around the NFL hiding data and also from them circumventing their own fake policies to get players back onto the field.

Cam Newton getting blasted in the head but then returning to the field 2 plays later? Yeah, that's a controversy. That's something the NFL would want to control the narrative on.

But there was nothing to hide with the Shazier injury, no blame to place the blame on the NFL. It's not a common injury, it wasn't created by a controversial play, and wasn't like the NFL was teaching players to lead with their helmets while hiding long term risk from it.

It was simply an unfortunate, and rare, event that happened during what would normally be a relatively safe play. If you're going to try and use it to push the narrative that the NFL is too dangerous of a sport to continue on, I'd say there's hundreds of WAY better examples of injuries that are much more common that you should be using. That narrative may be correct, but this is not the example you want to use.

That'd be like someone pointing to Blake Griffin getting elbowed in the head during the Clippers game the other night and saying basketball shouldn't continue being played because it's too dangerous.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:46 pm 

I take any article written about sports especially football from a non-football source aka GQ, BuzzFeed, etc as persona non grata. Football in and of itself is a sport where masculinity and violence is celebrated and where men impose their will on each other to achieve a desired outcome for victory.

Football in all of its glory is a violent, athletic, cerebral undertaking that will eventually sap the will of most men that play the game and it definitely will claim the body. This I know for a fact.

This doesn't sit well w/ the "soccer is true football", hipster, participation trophy crowds who are taught to be in touch w/ their feelings and put themselves in a woman's shoes. This doesn't sit well for the single mothers who don't want their sons to get hurt. This doesn't sit well with the women who show up just to be seen and say they went to a venue and "look @ me w/ my pouty duck face selfie at <insert stadium name>".

True football fans understand what this game is about. For true fans, they embrace their team of choice because they embrace the ideal, or the city, or the state or even certain players who perform athletically on a level that they can only hope to achieve. They appreciate the chess match in the game. They appreciate the violence that they wish they could inflict on a bully, annoying co-worker or pointed-hair boss. (See Terry Tate Office Linebacker). They watch their team overcome and they watch their team fall in defeat and outside of Cleveland, where their fans are now numb to defeat (see 0-16 parade), they feel the same sense of loss because of how they identify w/ their team.

Football is about excellence, hard work and a will to win against all odds. Football is overcoming a difficult injury and returning to one of the world's biggest stages and excelling for all to see. Football is falling down, getting knocked down and shrugging it off and telling the other side to bring it. Football is ,after all the de-cleating hits, nut punches in the pile, cussing and trash talk, the ability to look at your opponent on the other side at the end of the game and give a nod of respect, handshake or hug and depart knowing that you gave it all you had no matter the outcome.

Football represents man. Football represents life.

Mike Mitchell in all his ineptitude did say one thing correctly. "We all know what we signed up for in this game. If I had to do it all over again I would do the same."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:50 pm 

What the hell is wrong with eating wings and drinking beer??? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:53 pm 

I was hesitant to post this here as this subject is very raw fo us Steeler fans but it was by Drew Magary from Deadspin and I enjoy their work at times. I think the part that made me really feel for Ryan was the part about the Bills player who was the last player to get to this point from an injury. I hope beyond anything that it doesnt come to that for Ryan. Just sad that he went from one of the best players in the league to Bam. He joins this group of players that this has happened to and I think he is probably the most talented of all. Just sux

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:15 pm 

RooneyTunes wrote:
I was hesitant to post this here as this subject is very raw fo us Steeler fans but it was by Drew Magary from Deadspin and I enjoy their work at times. I think the part that made me really feel for Ryan was the part about the Bills player who was the last player to get to this point from an injury. I hope beyond anything that it doesnt come to that for Ryan. Just sad that he went from one of the best players in the league to Bam. He joins this group of players that this has happened to and I think he is probably the most talented of all. Just sux

Deadspin went to shit about 3 years ago. I used to enjoy visiting it often. It's now Complete utter garbage. Its become more of a political site that a funny sports site. MeanBarlow's comment makes total sense now. I won't bother reading the article.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:03 pm 

Hoping this brightens the thread up...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:51 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
This article is such a waste of words. There are way more important things to be concerned about than Ryan Shazier getting paralyzed doing something he loved and I love to watch.

Write an article about:
opioids and big Pharma
Obesity and reduced physical activities in schools
How are cigarettes still a thing?
Eating wings and drinking beer
Binge drinking
Uninsured gun owners
Gun manufacturers dumping guns in the US with no threat of lawsuits
Legalized MJ - does it create burn outs?

Let’s write a clickbait article at playoff time about an accident that happens once every 10 years. The guy isn’t even dead or permanently paralyzed that we know of.

Priorities America; Priorities.

None of those things directly involve sports. He's a sports writer.

If we go by your idea of priorities, writing or talking about football at all is a waste of time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:33 pm 

Quote:

Ummm by that logic people would be able to sue alcohol manufacturers for DUI deaths. Doesn’t happen. And holding a company liable for the actions of an individual is a huge slippery slope.

What about car companies? Anybody sue a car company after some scumbag drives said car through a crowd of people?

Let’s just agree your comment was silly and not well thought out.

Best thing about this thread are the photos of the smile on Shaziers face.

That right there is a grounded and quality individual. I hope he plays again. If he doesn’t though, he most definitely will find success doing something else in life.

Same could not be said about a lot of pros if something similiar happened to them. The injury would become their crutch...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:30 am 

Laying the Wood wrote:
Man, you guys really hate having your point of view questioned, don’t you? It’s almost like you adhere to football the way extremists cling to religion. I guess that’s why “fan” is short for “fanatic.”

I don’t agree with everything he said. It’s an interesting point of view. There is nuance to this situation. If writers and articles didn’t have agendas, they would look like Excel spreadsheets reporting only the facts.

I guess how I approached it was, did the author raise a point that I hadn’t previously considered? Is it a valid point? Is the author credible? Does the article, as a whole, seem like a stretch?

If you did all of that and still came to the same conclusion, more power to you. If you read all or part of the article and immediately wrote it off as “snowflake bullshit,” I think you’re selling yourself short.

It’s not an “interesting point of view” because the entire premise that Shazier’s injury has been “whitewashed” is not held up by the evidence.

Everyone knows he was paralyzed.

Everyone knows those injuries can happen. And that football players often end up life being in constant everyday pain or have lack of mobility. Hell...one of the key stories leading up to Super Bowl XL was a feature on Jerome Bettis and I remember them showing him in his house being barely able to walk up and down stairs.

I don’t need to see story after story complete with graphic images of Ryan Shazier’s rehabilitation regimen to know he’s still paralyzed. I do like seeing that despite his horrific injury, he’s still in high spirits...that will be key for whatever recovery he can have.

A bigger story would be the lip service they are paying to head trauma safety and the like as opposed to actually doing something about it.

To focus on this was dumb.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:47 am 

Laying the Wood wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
This article is such a waste of words. There are way more important things to be concerned about than Ryan Shazier getting paralyzed doing something he loved and I love to watch.

Write an article about:
opioids and big Pharma
Obesity and reduced physical activities in schools
How are cigarettes still a thing?
Eating wings and drinking beer
Binge drinking
Uninsured gun owners
Legalized MJ - does it create burn outs?

Let’s write a clickbait article at playoff time about an accident that happens once every 10 years. The guy isn’t even dead or permanently paralyzed that we know of.

Priorities America; Priorities.

None of those things directly involve sports. He's a sports writer.

If we go by your idea of priorities, writing or talking about football at all is a waste of time.

He's more of a social/political commentator that uses sports to push his views. Kind of like a Bob Costas with down syndrome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next