It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Uncomfortable Shazier article
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:58 pm
Posts: 722
Man, you guys really hate having your point of view questioned, don’t you? It’s almost like you adhere to football the way extremists cling to religion. I guess that’s why “fan” is short for “fanatic.”

I don’t agree with everything he said. It’s an interesting point of view. There is nuance to this situation. If writers and articles didn’t have agendas, they would look like Excel spreadsheets reporting only the facts.

I guess how I approached it was, did the author raise a point that I hadn’t previously considered? Is it a valid point? Is the author credible? Does the article, as a whole, seem like a stretch?

If you did all of that and still came to the same conclusion, more power to you. If you read all or part of the article and immediately wrote it off as “snowflake bullshit,” I think you’re selling yourself short.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uncomfortable Shazier article
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2283
He's right though.

I just don't think he did a good job getting his point across.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uncomfortable Shazier article
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:11 am
Posts: 47
he's not right though, unless the nfl, or the Steelers, forced Ryan's dad to say that they were keeping the details of his recovery private until Ryan himself was willing to share, at Ryan's request. unless his dad or Ryan was lying, then that's the reason we don't know anything. not some conspiracy between the league, the Steelers, and whatever dark chamber of ghouls that run the whole show from behind the curtain that this reporter wants us to believe exists. besides...we all know those guys are too busy controlling instant replay to have time to convince his father to lie about the reasons the family is not sharing details. i don't think the reporter even researched enuff to know Ryan's dad said that. i think he's lazy, or so agenda driven he chose to not absorb the quote from Ryan's dad. idc which, and neither would surprise me. journalism is changing it is what it is. not what it was.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uncomfortable Shazier article
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1038
fortythree wrote:
He's right though.

I just don't think he did a good job getting his point across.


In what context is he right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uncomfortable Shazier article
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:44 pm
Posts: 99
Laying the Wood wrote:
Man, you guys really hate having your point of view questioned, don’t you? It’s almost like you adhere to football the way extremists cling to religion. I guess that’s why “fan” is short for “fanatic.”

I don’t agree with everything he said. It’s an interesting point of view. There is nuance to this situation. If writers and articles didn’t have agendas, they would look like Excel spreadsheets reporting only the facts.

I guess how I approached it was, did the author raise a point that I hadn’t previously considered? Is it a valid point? Is the author credible? Does the article, as a whole, seem like a stretch?

If you did all of that and still came to the same conclusion, more power to you. If you read all or part of the article and immediately wrote it off as “snowflake bullshit,” I think you’re selling yourself short.


Greg Lloyd said it best, its turning into a game for girls already. For us to self-flagellate every fucking time there is a serious injury is a publicity stunt all its own.


http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2752 ... games-soul

Is football dangerous? No shit! Thats why people watch. Goodell needs to embrace this. The author needs to watch slow pitch softball and mind his business.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uncomfortable Shazier article
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:58 pm
Posts: 722
sinceiwas4 wrote:
he's not right though, unless the nfl, or the Steelers, forced Ryan's dad to say that they were keeping the details of his recovery private until Ryan himself was willing to share, at Ryan's request. unless his dad or Ryan was lying, then that's the reason we don't know anything. not some conspiracy between the league, the Steelers, and whatever dark chamber of ghouls that run the whole show from behind the curtain that this reporter wants us to believe exists. besides...we all know those guys are too busy controlling instant replay to have time to convince his father to lie about the reasons the family is not sharing details. i don't think the reporter even researched enuff to know Ryan's dad said that. i think he's lazy, or so agenda driven he chose to not absorb the quote from Ryan's dad. idc which, and neither would surprise me. journalism is changing it is what it is. not what it was.


You don't think the NFL has spinmasters and influencers who frame news stories to show the NFL in the most positive light? You really think a multi-billion dollar company doesn't do that?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uncomfortable Shazier article
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:11 am
Posts: 47
i do believe they do that. i do believe they have done that with this story even. what i don't believe is that they are forcing Ryan or his family to keep quiet so they can. which you would have to believe to agree with the article.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uncomfortable Shazier article
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1038
Laying the Wood wrote:
sinceiwas4 wrote:
he's not right though, unless the nfl, or the Steelers, forced Ryan's dad to say that they were keeping the details of his recovery private until Ryan himself was willing to share, at Ryan's request. unless his dad or Ryan was lying, then that's the reason we don't know anything. not some conspiracy between the league, the Steelers, and whatever dark chamber of ghouls that run the whole show from behind the curtain that this reporter wants us to believe exists. besides...we all know those guys are too busy controlling instant replay to have time to convince his father to lie about the reasons the family is not sharing details. i don't think the reporter even researched enuff to know Ryan's dad said that. i think he's lazy, or so agenda driven he chose to not absorb the quote from Ryan's dad. idc which, and neither would surprise me. journalism is changing it is what it is. not what it was.


You don't think the NFL has spinmasters and influencers who frame news stories to show the NFL in the most positive light? You really think a multi-billion dollar company doesn't do that?


I don't think anyone would dispute this. However, the author is implying the league is somehow spinning or controlling Shazier's narrative. I don't believe that is in any way true.

From everything I've seen, the league, the Steelers, and the media are projecting and reporting on what Ryan allows and wants. Nothing more.

The author is making implications that aren't accurate, currently. IMO.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uncomfortable Shazier article
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:11 am
Posts: 47
"I don't think anyone would dispute this. However, the author is implying the league is somehow spinning or controlling Shazier's narrative. I don't believe that is in any way true.

From everything I've seen, the league, the Steelers, and the media are projecting and reporting on what Ryan allows and wants. Nothing more.

The author is making implications that aren't accurate, currently. IMO."


exactly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Uncomfortable Shazier article
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 721
This article is such a waste of words. There are way more important things to be concerned about than Ryan Shazier getting paralyzed doing something he loved and I love to watch.

Write an article about:
opioids and big Pharma
Obesity and reduced physical activities in schools
How are cigarettes still a thing?
Eating wings and drinking beer
Binge drinking
Uninsured gun owners
Gun manufacturers dumping guns in the US with no threat of lawsuits
Legalized MJ - does it create burn outs?

Let’s write a clickbait article at playoff time about an accident that happens once every 10 years. The guy isn’t even dead or permanently paralyzed that we know of.

Priorities America; Priorities.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
cron
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group