It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Uncomfortable Shazier article
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:59 pm 

I haven’t responded Lakecrest. Not because I didn’t have a response but rather Zeke has pretty much covered it...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:15 pm 

Zeke5123 wrote:
My guess is the facts you think you understand are different compared to facts actually identified. For example, I am sure if we look into the details regarding lawn darts, etc. we can find something to distinguish between darts and guns. The law you want to articulate is that if Manufacturer X creates Product Y and Product Y harms third party Z, then Z can sue X. That is a really bad system.

I am talking about the spirit of consumer protection agencies and laws.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission banned lawn darts and I believe they also banned the manufacturing of 3 wheelers, and then later it became voluntary from the ATV sellers.

The very heavy irony in all of this is that I can think of several instances of personally being impacted by 3 wheelers, and know several friends and family that were impacted as well. Even lawn darts we were heading down the path for an involuntary lobotomy.

Owned a Honda 180cc...no suspension, big bubble tires. Riding on the banks of a sulphor creek, have a nice scar when it rolled over me. Had a broken and crooked nose and probably concussion from reaching the top of steep hill and flipping backwards and betting cracked square on the bridge of the nose by the center of the handle bars. Several accidents flipping backwards on refuse coal piles. Sister got a broken leg on a three wheeler....wrecks left and right on these things with friends as well. Yet I remember zero outrage. No talk about how dangerous they were. No talk of bans!

The lawn darts....we use to play with them. We would try to throw them as high as we could into the air. I remember they would not always land where we intended. I remember my buddy putting one squarely through the liner of our childhood friend's swimming pool. No outrage about the danger, only about having to patch a liner in cold water of late October. No calls for lawsuits!

Then one day they are just gone. No longer in the stores. they just start disappearing from the streets and the vocabulary Then 4 wheelers start showing up all over the place. I was young, this was before the internet, so really never knew about the bans.

Fast forward to our present day and there is outrage of highest order over the latest shooting and mass murder. High schools, elementary schools, movie theatres....concerts, dance clubs. Outrage! OUTRAGE! Boiling anger! Protests! Live near Sandy Hook and saw people flying out of work early for some strange reason. Billions spent; used to do something, anything!

Lawn darts and three wheelers, zero mass outrage, making millions of dollars and they disappear off the face of the earth.

Billions of dollars spent to do something to reduce gun violence, yet amazingly gun manufacturers continue to produce unabated!

I will watch the Steelers and it all melts away! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:24 pm 

955876 wrote:
I haven’t responded Lakecrest. Not because I didn’t have a response but rather Zeke has pretty much covered it...

No problem...we are off thread in a Steeler forum. All for the second amendment; just don't know if I am for it because the second amendment has made it necessary to be for it or I truly think something like Nazi Germany could happen here. I suspect we would all be frogs in the gradually warming waters and get boiled to death before pulling a trigger if it were to happen here. Also they don't need to be available like mints or toothpicks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:29 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
955876 wrote:

No problem...we are off thread in a Steeler forum. All for the second amendment; just don't know if I am for it because the second amendment has made it necessary to be for it or I truly think something like Nazi Germany could happen here. I suspect we would all be frogs in the gradually warming waters and get boiled to death before pulling a trigger if it were to happen here. Also they don't need to be available like mints or toothpicks!

That, and assuming the military supported by the government...9mm ain't going to do much against the might of the US military.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:30 pm 

What you are referring to with 3 wheelers is a design flaw that made them inherently more dangerous to the user than they needed to be. Far too easy to roll. Thus the transition to 4 wheelers. Still dangerous but not nearly as much.

If a firearm malfunctioned unexpectedly causing injury to user or bystander the company would be liable.

But that is not your argument.

Your argument implies that I should be able to sue Yamaha if you decide to run me over with your ATV. And that you could sue Louisville Slugger if retaliated by beating you with one of their bats.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:36 pm 

Quote:
Also they don't need to be available like mints or toothpicks!

Do you have to pass a federal background check to buy mints or toothpicks?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:55 pm 

I actually like Drew Magary but this article is just awful and honestly not even accurate. First off, Ryan Shazier doesn’t want to be the victim so why should people feel the need to make him into one? Secondly, did anyone really think that hit was brutal? The viciousness of the whole event was how benign the hit actually looked.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:19 pm 

And most likely or at least in part was due to his own poor technique.