It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uncomfortable Shazier article
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:41 pm 

https://www.gq.com/story/nfl-ryan-shazi ... ssion=true

Post subject: Re: Uncomfortable Shazier article
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:47 pm 

Snowflake garbage if Ive ever seen it. What the hell does he want? A ban of football? Come out and say it then!

The fact that people are celebrating progress is somehow a bad thing? This is a pure malcontent finding a way to spin positive attitudes into some sort of spin machine.

You know who is the most upbeat about this situation?? Ryan Shazier!

This columnist needs to get a fuckin life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:00 pm 

The article misses the point. The feel good wave of support from football fans all over the country including myself has nothing to do with the NFL. It has to do with genuinely wanting the best outcome for Ryan Shazier.

Everybody understands the situation. The lack of detailed disclosure is the rightful choice of the Shazier family. It takes some time to find out the final outcome of such an injury. In a year, we will know the details.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 pm 

Um...does the author think we don’t know that Shazier is paralyzed?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:17 pm 

These fucking hack journalists need to get out of Mom's basement and get a real job

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:24 pm 

This article is written with an agenda - that's how it feels. Sometimes the way a person delivers a point of view diminishes the value of that POV. That being said, Goodell reminded me of the tobacco industry denying that concussions from football lead to CTE. The money train is going so strong that even while it's taking a ratings dip, it still crushes competing programming in the same time slot.

The NFL & Steelers can always say "we're honoring Ryan's wishes by not discussing his condition and recovery". I don't feel suckered in any way. I want Shazier to return to full health or as close to it as possible - to live as close to a normal life as possible. Watching that game, that tackle, I remember feeling scared for him and angry all at once "No! that's exactly how not to tackle...Come on, move your legs, please. Any movement, something please"...Those were my thoughts.

As Dr. Chao said, good news is delivered fast, and bad news, or no news comes slower, or not at all. I believe good news will come, and I'm holding on to that belief.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:41 pm 

i made this post in the other shazier thread yesterday

Quote:
95% of all the media has slanted down into the fucking toilet. Only a handful of people in 3rd party fashions are doing the old school journalistic integrity check. Narratives and clicks and flat out lies are more important.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:00 pm 

Ya, I don’t get the point. Football’s dangerous? NFL is bad?

Cars are dangerous. Flying can kill you. Rollerblades can be treacherous. Trivial article.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:15 pm 

The article implies the NFL has something to hide from the injury. What, exactly?

I understand bad injuries aren't good PR, especially for a league with the history of the NFL, but anyone who puts more than a half second of thought will realize Shazier's injury, however tragic, is a result of his consistently poor tackling form and not some NFL cover-up.

It'd be different if he suffered some kind of debilitating brain damage that was a result of the team throwing him back into the game even after the injury occurred, but that's not what happened.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:22 pm 

One of the most stupid assed articles I've seen. If Shazier stood up and walked on water he would write an
article on how he tracked up the floor and caused hardship on the janitorial crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:30 pm 

Man, you guys really hate having your point of view questioned, don’t you? It’s almost like you adhere to football the way extremists cling to religion. I guess that’s why “fan” is short for “fanatic.”

I don’t agree with everything he said. It’s an interesting point of view. There is nuance to this situation. If writers and articles didn’t have agendas, they would look like Excel spreadsheets reporting only the facts.

I guess how I approached it was, did the author raise a point that I hadn’t previously considered? Is it a valid point? Is the author credible? Does the article, as a whole, seem like a stretch?

If you did all of that and still came to the same conclusion, more power to you. If you read all or part of the article and immediately wrote it off as “snowflake bullshit,” I think you’re selling yourself short.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:53 pm 

He's right though.

I just don't think he did a good job getting his point across.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:14 pm 

he's not right though, unless the nfl, or the Steelers, forced Ryan's dad to say that they were keeping the details of his recovery private until Ryan himself was willing to share, at Ryan's request. unless his dad or Ryan was lying, then that's the reason we don't know anything. not some conspiracy between the league, the Steelers, and whatever dark chamber of ghouls that run the whole show from behind the curtain that this reporter wants us to believe exists. besides...we all know those guys are too busy controlling instant replay to have time to convince his father to lie about the reasons the family is not sharing details. i don't think the reporter even researched enuff to know Ryan's dad said that. i think he's lazy, or so agenda driven he chose to not absorb the quote from Ryan's dad. idc which, and neither would surprise me. journalism is changing it is what it is. not what it was.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:19 pm 

fortythree wrote:
He's right though.

I just don't think he did a good job getting his point across.

In what context is he right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:29 pm 

Laying the Wood wrote:
Man, you guys really hate having your point of view questioned, don’t you? It’s almost like you adhere to football the way extremists cling to religion. I guess that’s why “fan” is short for “fanatic.”

I don’t agree with everything he said. It’s an interesting point of view. There is nuance to this situation. If writers and articles didn’t have agendas, they would look like Excel spreadsheets reporting only the facts.

I guess how I approached it was, did the author raise a point that I hadn’t previously considered? Is it a valid point? Is the author credible? Does the article, as a whole, seem like a stretch?

If you did all of that and still came to the same conclusion, more power to you. If you read all or part of the article and immediately wrote it off as “snowflake bullshit,” I think you’re selling yourself short.

Greg Lloyd said it best, its turning into a game for girls already. For us to self-flagellate every fucking time there is a serious injury is a publicity stunt all its own.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2752 ... games-soul

Is football dangerous? No shit! Thats why people watch. Goodell needs to embrace this. The author needs to watch slow pitch softball and mind his business.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:36 pm 

sinceiwas4 wrote:
he's not right though, unless the nfl, or the Steelers, forced Ryan's dad to say that they were keeping the details of his recovery private until Ryan himself was willing to share, at Ryan's request. unless his dad or Ryan was lying, then that's the reason we don't know anything. not some conspiracy between the league, the Steelers, and whatever dark chamber of ghouls that run the whole show from behind the curtain that this reporter wants us to believe exists. besides...we all know those guys are too busy controlling instant replay to have time to convince his father to lie about the reasons the family is not sharing details. i don't think the reporter even researched enuff to know Ryan's dad said that. i think he's lazy, or so agenda driven he chose to not absorb the quote from Ryan's dad. idc which, and neither would surprise me. journalism is changing it is what it is. not what it was.

You don't think the NFL has spinmasters and influencers who frame news stories to show the NFL in the most positive light? You really think a multi-billion dollar company doesn't do that?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:42 pm 

i do believe they do that. i do believe they have done that with this story even. what i don't believe is that they are forcing Ryan or his family to keep quiet so they can. which you would have to believe to agree with the article.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:50 pm 

Laying the Wood wrote:
sinceiwas4 wrote:

You don't think the NFL has spinmasters and influencers who frame news stories to show the NFL in the most positive light? You really think a multi-billion dollar company doesn't do that?

I don't think anyone would dispute this. However, the author is implying the league is somehow spinning or controlling Shazier's narrative. I don't believe that is in any way true.

From everything I've seen, the league, the Steelers, and the media are projecting and reporting on what Ryan allows and wants. Nothing more.

The author is making implications that aren't accurate, currently. IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:54 pm 

"I don't think anyone would dispute this. However, the author is implying the league is somehow spinning or controlling Shazier's narrative. I don't believe that is in any way true.

From everything I've seen, the league, the Steelers, and the media are projecting and reporting on what Ryan allows and wants. Nothing more.

The author is making implications that aren't accurate, currently. IMO."

exactly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:04 pm 

This article is such a waste of words. There are way more important things to be concerned about than Ryan Shazier getting paralyzed doing something he loved and I love to watch.

Write an article about:
opioids and big Pharma
Obesity and reduced physical activities in schools
How are cigarettes still a thing?
Eating wings and drinking beer
Binge drinking
Uninsured gun owners
Gun manufacturers dumping guns in the US with no threat of lawsuits
Legalized MJ - does it create burn outs?

Let’s write a clickbait article at playoff time about an accident that happens once every 10 years. The guy isn’t even dead or permanently paralyzed that we know of.

Priorities America; Priorities.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 pm 

Again, the question I have is, why would the NFL even need to twist the narrative?

The controversies around NFL injuries is centered around the NFL hiding data and also from them circumventing their own fake policies to get players back onto the field.

Cam Newton getting blasted in the head but then returning to the field 2 plays later? Yeah, that's a controversy. That's something the NFL would want to control the narrative on.

But there was nothing to hide with the Shazier injury, no blame to place the blame on the NFL. It's not a common injury, it wasn't created by a controversial play, and wasn't like the NFL was teaching players to lead with their helmets while hiding long term risk from it.

It was simply an unfortunate, and rare, event that happened during what would normally be a relatively safe play. If you're going to try and use it to push the narrative that the NFL is too dangerous of a sport to continue on, I'd say there's hundreds of WAY better examples of injuries that are much more common that you should be using. That narrative may be correct, but this is not the example you want to use.

That'd be like someone pointing to Blake Griffin getting elbowed in the head during the Clippers game the other night and saying basketball shouldn't continue being played because it's too dangerous.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:46 pm 

I take any article written about sports especially football from a non-football source aka GQ, BuzzFeed, etc as persona non grata. Football in and of itself is a sport where masculinity and violence is celebrated and where men impose their will on each other to achieve a desired outcome for victory.

Football in all of its glory is a violent, athletic, cerebral undertaking that will eventually sap the will of most men that play the game and it definitely will claim the body. This I know for a fact.

This doesn't sit well w/ the "soccer is true football", hipster, participation trophy crowds who are taught to be in touch w/ their feelings and put themselves in a woman's shoes. This doesn't sit well for the single mothers who don't want their sons to get hurt. This doesn't sit well with the women who show up just to be seen and say they went to a venue and "look @ me w/ my pouty duck face selfie at <insert stadium name>".

True football fans understand what this game is about. For true fans, they embrace their team of choice because they embrace the ideal, or the city, or the state or even certain players who perform athletically on a level that they can only hope to achieve. They appreciate the chess match in the game. They appreciate the violence that they wish they could inflict on a bully, annoying co-worker or pointed-hair boss. (See Terry Tate Office Linebacker). They watch their team overcome and they watch their team fall in defeat and outside of Cleveland, where their fans are now numb to defeat (see 0-16 parade), they feel the same sense of loss because of how they identify w/ their team.

Football is about excellence, hard work and a will to win against all odds. Football is overcoming a difficult injury and returning to one of the world's biggest stages and excelling for all to see. Football is falling down, getting knocked down and shrugging it off and telling the other side to bring it. Football is ,after all the de-cleating hits, nut punches in the pile, cussing and trash talk, the ability to look at your opponent on the other side at the end of the game and give a nod of respect, handshake or hug and depart knowing that you gave it all you had no matter the outcome.

Football represents man. Football represents life.

Mike Mitchell in all his ineptitude did say one thing correctly. "We all know what we signed up for in this game. If I had to do it all over again I would do the same."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:50 pm 

What the hell is wrong with eating wings and drinking beer??? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:53 pm 

I was hesitant to post this here as this subject is very raw fo us Steeler fans but it was by Drew Magary from Deadspin and I enjoy their work at times. I think the part that made me really feel for Ryan was the part about the Bills player who was the last player to get to this point from an injury. I hope beyond anything that it doesnt come to that for Ryan. Just sad that he went from one of the best players in the league to Bam. He joins this group of players that this has happened to and I think he is probably the most talented of all. Just sux

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:15 pm 

RooneyTunes wrote:
I was hesitant to post this here as this subject is very raw fo us Steeler fans but it was by Drew Magary from Deadspin and I enjoy their work at times. I think the part that made me really feel for Ryan was the part about the Bills player who was the last player to get to this point from an injury. I hope beyond anything that it doesnt come to that for Ryan. Just sad that he went from one of the best players in the league to Bam. He joins this group of players that this has happened to and I think he is probably the most talented of all. Just sux

Deadspin went to shit about 3 years ago. I used to enjoy visiting it often. It's now Complete utter garbage. Its become more of a political site that a funny sports site. MeanBarlow's comment makes total sense now. I won't bother reading the article.