It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Our Defense
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:16 am 

I was reading that CTE article about Burns and decided to re-watch the Ravens game and focus on Artie and our defensive snaps.

A few thoughts.

It’s incredible but Burns actually goes out of his way to avoid taclkles. I’ve never seen anything like it. Combine this with Sean Spence’s lack of lateral speed, and this could be potentially ugly.

Even though Burns doesn’t want to tackle and he is a hot head emotionally, he plays a decent man to man coverage game. He was also burned by a terrible flag late in the game which wasn’t interference. Sutton much better than 24 - don’t get why he isn’t playing full time. .

They should put Spence on special teams and start Fort at ILB. Tomlin is an asshole if he doesn’t do this. I really fear Brady dumping to his RB’s against this D we started against Baltimore.

As many have said Bud is awful. I like Chickillo much better. Watt at LOLB and Chick/Deebo at ROLB is much more productive but that’ may be a pipe dream.

Davis 28 is also an emotional hot head which is too bad - he has great potential. Mike Mitchell is only good for run support and he is average at that. We desperately need an upgrade and a leader at Safety.

Special teams - I am wondering if Heyward Bey can return kicks? He is fast and pretty tough unlike Bryant.

Post subject: Re: Our Defense
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:57 am 

Since we're playing Brady and lack depth at ILB, I'd like to see them try Davis at that hybrid position teams are using now with more DBs on the field.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:37 am 

RemoAZ wrote:
Since we're playing Brady and lack depth at ILB, I'd like to see them try Davis at that hybrid position teams are using now with more DBs on the field.

I was thinking the same thing - only with Wilcox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:42 am 

But Wilcox is slow and sucks.Lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:16 am 

We're going to have major issues on Sunday. There's no way that Belichick has missed the fact that we can't tackle. I'd dump it to the backs all day and that should be good for 5-6 yards a pop.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:33 am 

StillerInCT wrote:
We're going to have major issues on Sunday. There's no way that Belichick has missed the fact that we can't tackle. I'd dump it to the backs all day and that should be good for 5-6 yards a pop.

You got it!

That's precisely, what will likely happen. Tommy loves him some cake soft, dump offs to his backs in the flats.

Pats should be able to control TOP and keep our potent offense off the field, while that also, protects a very, very average at best Pats D.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:49 pm 

Stillchest wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:

You got it!

That's precisely, what will likely happen. Tommy loves him some cake soft, dump offs to his backs in the flats.

Pats should be able to control TOP and keep our potent offense off the field, while that also, protects a very, very average at best Pats D.

We might as well have the most aggressive gameplan we possibly can play. If we play with the traditional idea of keeping the play in front of us we'll almost surely lose. Our tackling and containment are the absolute worst aspects of this defense. It's quite literally tailor made for Brady. They have to, have to, have to change it up and play aggressively. I'd rather have Brady picking on our corners and safeties than our LBs because at the very least they are lower percentage passes. Send 4-6 guys at him every play. There is absolutely no sense in having anybody sit in zones because they can't fucking tackle consistently anyway. At least you have a puncher's chance of rattling him and forcing him into mistakes by having guys pin their ears back and rush him.

I'll know from the first defensive drive whether we have a shot in the game. Just like I knew it in the AFCCG. Because I've never seen us make quality adjustments against these guys.