It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Believing!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:11 am 

I knew this would happen. I said so earlier this year, repeated a little louder as fall marched on, headed toward winter.

After last year's AFCCG, when I once again did my best imitation of Charlie Brown when that Little Bitch Lucy pulls out the football once again, I maintained that Mike Tomlin would NEVER beat Bill Belichick in a game of consequence. I also added the caveat, a little louder each time, that when time came, I would make myself believe once again. Well, Steeler brethren, it's happening. I'm about to go all in on the Pittsburgh Steelers at 4:25pm Sunday afternoon, having exited a Christmas celebration down the road from me, attended my the New England douchebaggery. The host was clueless that she was scheduling in the midst of the season's biggest game, maintains there will be no football on during her Christmas party. Instead, the least deserving fan base in all of sports will be reciting the collective works of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, et al. If I knew that the collective asshats would be watching Steelers-Patriots, I might be tempted to stick around, gloat while the Black & Gold pound the Belichickians.

Lest you think, this is purely an emotional appeal, there's some rationality to my believing. First off, the Steelers will close the season with the improbable occurrence of playing seven of their final nine games in the friendly confines of Heinz Field once they solidify their hold on the #1 seed this coming weekend. And....the two road games. One was in the arguably friendlier confines of Paul Brown Stadium, where the Steelers are what, 14-2, including a pair of playoff wins since shortly past the onset of the 21st century? They make common practice of dispatching tiger-striped idiots to the escalators early whilst Steeler Nations pillages the venue. The other road affair will be Christmas Day in Houston. The home team's playoff hopes long since gone on the ravaged knee of QB Deshaun Watson, the stadium (not still the Astrodome, is it?) will be seized by native yinzers, relocated to one of the nation's fastest growing metropolitan areas.

What's got me on board with this Steeler edition? Why will it be different this time? First was a post by fellow poster Old School Steeler several weeks ago, making the case that #7, no longer just a Hall of Fame quarterback, is functioning as player-coach, the maestro of the offense, analyzing the opposing D, pulling all the right levers, pushing all the right buttons. Here, behind enemy lines, the local populace fears the Steelers running game against the Patriots bedraggled front seven. It's a legit fear, but I believe the Steelers will be balanced in their attack. They will travel over ground and through the air, behind a dominant offensive line, scoring points and chewing clock.

On the defensive side, the most worrisome component of the game, confronting Tom Brady, who regularly slices and dices Black & Gold defenses, while the Steelers line up without their best linebacker and quite possibly their best defensive back. Well, this is where we must remind ourselves that football is a team game, with eleven players taking the field at a time. The linebacker by committee approach will work. Sean Spence will be better after ridding himself of the negative effects of weeks of inactivity. L.J. Fort showed some promise on Sunday night, particularly at game's end. Arthur Moat won't see the field from scrimmage. The unit will coalesce, will not sit in an 8-man zone, experiencing death by a thousand cuts. They WILL put the heat on TB12. Joe Haden? Might play, might not. We do know this. At the latest, Joe will be on the field for the finale against is former mates, the Cleve Brownies. How blessed must #21 feel? He's wearing the number of Roberto Clemente. He's been exiled from a team that's won exactly one game over the past two seasons, and has landed on his feet with the six-time, soon to be seven time, Super Bowl champion. So what, he broke his fuckin' leg! Reports are out of 'Ol Joe with an ear-to-ear, shit-eating grin adorned in an AFC Norf cap and t-shirt on Sunday night, happier than a pig in shit. And he was back on the practice field today. He may, or may not, play Sunday, but he's been a contributor, and will contribute mightily toward the 7th Lombardi Trophy.

Lastly, and poignantly, this is a team of destiny, and now a team on a mission. They dodge a bullet weekly, yet come out on top, week, after week, after week, eking out wins on the last second toe of their kicker. And, clearly, they're playing for #50, for their fallen teammate, still confined to a hospital bed. Don't know when he's leaving UPMC, but I know, that before season's end, regardless of the shape he's in, Ryan Shazier will join his teammates on the Heinz Field turf, as they honor him by first qualifying for, and then winning, their 7th Lombardi Trophy.

So...it's late in the evening of December 13...and once again, I'm all in with the Pittsburgh Steelers....Believing!!

Post subject: Re: Believing!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:16 am 

Great post, I was all in way before, nothings happened to change my mind, and as another diehard Steelers fan said...Steelers don't lose again this season!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:26 am 

Good post Swiss

But I think you’ve taken over the mantle of most Patriot threads in 2017 :D

My last offering was of cloak and dagger scripting

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:05 am 

I would like to believe, but since I quit drinking booze, am unable to do so.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:08 am 

The Steelers haven't said this since the offseason, but remember, Ryan Shazier said that this season is dedicated to Dan Rooney. I'm sure that the absence of the immensely respected and loved Dan Rooney is still felt throughout the organization. 5-0's absence is more top of mind now, but I strongly believe both men are driving forces in the inspired play of this team. This is all conjecture, so I will add a few facts. Last time the Steelers beat NE was in 2011. Here are some things I recall about that game:

1. The Steelers offense was not as explosive as it was competent. It was balanced with multiple runners like Mewelde Moore, Mendenhall, and Redman.

2. Pass receiving options included the Young Money Crew, Heath, Cotchery and M. Moore. Compare that group to what we had facing the Pats in last season's two matchups. When Bell went down, AB was covered by 3 DB/LB. The other receiving options were unreliable. The current WR options are better.

3. On defense, injuries were taking a toll on veteran players in 2011. Brett Keisel & Lamaar Woodley gave Brady hell for 2.5 quarters. In coverage, Steelers used Ryan Clark as a slot CB, lining him up against Gronk (who was a rookie). Other DB's were Cortex Allen, Ike, Troy, and I think W. Gay. This secondary group was more suited than the current DB's IMO.

4. Most striking in that game was that the Steelers defense played a lot of man to man. And pressure up the middle was the strategy instead of from the outside. Keisel and Woodley ran stunts that allowed #56 to bring consistent pressure to Brady's face. I believe the Steelers front 7 is now suited to bring pressure to Brady in spots. LB/DB play will have to step up. I predict the DL is ready.

I believe the Steelers will win this game in their usual dramatic fashion. Gronk will be a beast early, but I think he's more fragile than ever. One well placed blow will impact him for the duration of the game - c'mon Vince/Mitchell.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:25 am 

I'm thinking we're going to hurt Gronk this game as well. Dude's a beast, but a fragile beast.

And despite all the cautions around rooting for injuries, Bad Karma, etc....I hope the fuck it happens.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:09 am 

I think it comes down to the secondary play. If they can contain the big plays, control slice and dice and get a few picks, we will win. Miami showed the way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:34 am 

This game is of historical importance and will be a watershed moment for Ben Roethlisberger and Mike Tomlin one way or another. If we cannot beat the Patriots in Pittsburgh under these conditions then as a poster indicated Mike is Bum Phillips and Ben will know in his heart that he doesn't have the support players and coaches to beat Brady and I believe that will manifest as disgust and might push him closer to retirement.

Watched Raven game last night and I agree with you Mr Swiss Spence played much better in the second half. The only legitimate heat came from Watt. Cam Sutton has the raw talent and throwing him to the wolves is a bold move by Tomlin and shows you how bad 24 is and how much Mike wants to win. The shot on Bell's knee could have literally ended our hopes right then and there. With him on the sidelines we are a different team he brings not just the talent level he brings an attitude and he has a spontaneous on the same page relationship with Ben that is truly the essence of any sport. Ben has that with Brown, Montana had with it with Rice Terry had with Swann and Stallworth Aikman had it with Irving. Ben and Brown have to do it in the Super Bowl and they're not going to get their chance unless they beat the Patriots on Sunday. Have never seen a wide receiver literally laugh after big plays.

Fans have been critical of Tomlin and rightfully so but I think he was learning on the job and he has almost arrived. Beating the Patriots on Sunday getting home field and the number one seed getting to and winning the Superbowl puts him legitimately in the ranks of a great coach. Based on what he's done this season I think he's a damn fine coach assuming that Ben is the player coach on Sunday and gets to do what Namath did in Super Bowl 3, survey the field, call the play and attack the Patriots vulnerability. That's the only way we're beating the Patriots on the offense side on Sunday because Belichek will have confusing deceptive looks, we can beat them with brains and we can beat them with skill. We cannot beat them with Todd Haley calling plays from the sidelines. Not only will his plays fail Ben will be reduced to a participant and not the Field General. If this theory about Ben being field Marshal is correct than Tomlin has done a masterful job of handling this behind the scenes.

Brady cannot be comfortable on Sunday and that's the aspect of what the Steelers need to do to beat the Patriots and win the Super Bowl that's harder to visualize. Our D in previous SB years had bloodlust in its DNA. The desire to finally stop the Raven offense required a team meeting on the sidelines conducted by Tomlin, then berating Davis and Cam getting in people's faces. The bloodlust had to be manufactured it's not really excusable but it's easy to understand why coming off that brutal win in Cincinnati and losing Ryan. The mission has to be Seek and Destroy on Sunday and if it's there and Ben is player coach we will win that game.

Sorry for the rambling. But we wait so long for these opportunities as fans and they don't come along that often. As Steeler fans we've had more than anyone and the Patriots are creeping up but we can finally handle them on Sunday.

Last edited by Old School Steeler on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:21 am 

I hate you all. Especially you Old School and Swiss. Damnit. Just when I'm set on not being able to buy in that we will beat those cheating fucks NE, I read this thread and I'm fuckin sold! I went from feeling like they're coming into town and are going to lite our asses up as usual to fuck them, we're gonna knock Marsha around, hit Gronk low and pull out the W.

Shame on me, I'll openly admit with the focus on #50 and how I think that could be the catalyst that puts them over the top this year for #7, I shamefully admit I forgot about Dan the mans passing. Do it for Dan. Do it for # 50.

Let's fuckin go!

I ride!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:36 am 

Be great to beat the Pats this Sunday.

But let's face it: the money game will be the playoff meeting, should it come to pass.

I'll be watching it with a good friend......who happens to be a huge Pats fan.

I'm ok doing so bc it is a reg season game.

Playoffs will require Swiss' rules. Drawn curtains, solo watching.