It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Haden to start practicing this week
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:09 pm 

Those can be real game changers. Hope the refs stay out of it except for blatant cases.

BarryFoster wrote:
Steelergenie wrote:
Are Cam and Artie capable of playing Man coverage?

Curious to see how many infuriating ticky tacky DPI calls go against our secondary.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:34 pm 

The thing that kills me about Brady and those deep rainbow passes he throws is that they are so susceptible for INTs if you have DBs that can get their heads around and locate the ball.

I hope Cam Sutton does get the start and that they do put in Brian Allen some as well. Would be nice to get some youth out there that showed the ability to make plays on the ball in college and that Brady will face for the first time. Not knowing what to expect, not having film on Sutton and Allen could play into our favor as it may make things not as easy for Brady and McDaniels.

They have to play more man to man and our pass rushers have to hit Brady. If Brady's ankle is really gimpy, or his achilles etc, then the game plan should be to force him out of the pocket and make him try and throw on the move. That means pressure up the middle, blitzes up the middle, can't let him step up in the pocket and make it easy on him with little movement on his part.

Make that 39 year old QB with a tender Achilles scramble out of the pocket, force him to throw on the run and I think INTs will happen.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:11 pm 

Steelergenie wrote:

Well, we know Artie can't play zone for shit, so I hope he can play man.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:21 pm 

We are going to have to mix it up maybe using both 92and 90 as your OLB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:37 am 

I suspect Sensabaugh will start. Like his last several starts he will be asked to play 10 yards off and marsha will annihilate him. Sutton will eventually be on the field to mop up but I fear at that point it may be too late. I do believe that both Burns and Sutton have experience in man and was part of the reasons for being drafted. Hilton is a stud in the slot. The only concern there of course is he's a smurf. At least Hilton tackles well and is also instinctive. Two very helpful advantages IMO. Feel really good about Hilton. The outside corners I feel are suspect Sutton included. I hope they prove my suspicions inaccurate.

Side Note: I doubt very seriously Haden will be a full go Sunday. No information just a hunch. I would not rush him into action too soon. There will still be the postseason. Patience are a virtue.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:16 am 

A couple thoughts. I've heard grumblings about Brian Allen practicing with the starters. Could this be the secret man to man weapon against the neanderthal Gronk? Reminiscent of Cortez Allen back on Halloween several years back?

Let me say this, I haven't watched the Pats much this year, but that o-line looked small and weak in the interior. I also didn't realize the injuries they've had on defense. If this offensive gameplan is an aggressive one, they should score 35+ that still may not be enough.

All I know is I'm sick and tired of the pundits on the radio talking about the Pats having a chip on their shoulder or some shit. Annoying!

Last edited by R S on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:34 am 

Scunge wrote:
The thing that kills me about Brady and those deep rainbow passes he throws is that they are so susceptible for INTs if you have DBs that can get their heads around and locate the ball.

What's infuriating is NE's receivers, more than any other team, are GREAT at defending interceptions. And it seems like half the time they draw even draw a DPI while doing so. I think that's a big reason why Brady's int% is so low, not all of it but his receivers probably bail him out of at least a few more picks a year.

See, take a guy like Martavis Bryant and he should get 2 jump balls a game with his physical gifts....except he's TERRIBLE at defending against the interception.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:48 am 

Man coverage has advantages and disadvantages. It’s easier, so if a CB like Sutton does play it’s much simpler from an assignment perspective.

But let’s not pretend like there are no downside. Man puts a lot of stress on the pass rush. Because when zone breaks down it usually means completion. If man breaks down very well could mean TD.

Steelers has this the right way with Haden and burns. Give burns the bump and run task while Haden did a lot of trailing man or quasi zone looks.

I don’t think butler/tomlin have the stomachs to go true man. Their real advantage comes from hopefully creative uses of packages. Brady always chewed up their 3-4. Now without their best LB? Recipe for disaster.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:00 pm 

I think Haden plays this week. It's a pain issue, non-weight baring issue/injury. Average recovery time is 4-6 weeks; this Sunday will be 5 weeks exactly.
Big, big game and this is what Haden has been living for his whole career.

I think he plays!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:27 pm 

yggy, if you look at all the long plays this year we have given up, many have been because a CB thought he had help from a safety, or was passing off to another player in zone and long TDs have ensued.

I think they need to simplify things, and literally just say here is your man, cover him. Burns, Sutton, Allen can do that, they just have to let them do it.

Zone allows Brady to get the ball out in less than 2 seconds, hell, Dalton was getting the ball out in 1.7, 1.8 seconds when they were feasting on Sensabaugh. Steelers make a change to Sutton, the 10-12 yard cushion is minimized and Dalton is less successful.

I think Haden has to play, they need to get him out there and win this damn game, this is the first step to ridding ourselves of that monkey on our back (New England). Undoubtedly, we will face them again in the playoffs, but I want to play that game in Pittsburgh, not NE.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:42 pm 

If Haden can play, he needs to play.

Hell, he once actually played in a game against New England that the Browns WON.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:57 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
Steelergenie wrote:

Curious to see how many infuriating ticky tacky DPI calls go against our secondary.
Especially after gronk complained and whined like a 12 year old girl the week he "accidentally" lost his cool and tried to decapitate a player lying on the ground. That message was sent loud and clear.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:15 pm 

Joe Haden, back in practice, smiles after catching his first pass.

http://d2s3dt9f4iyeup.cloudfront.net/im ... 1b9def.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:32 pm 

Ray Fittipaldo

@rayfitt1
Joe Haden said leg is a little sore after first practice. Will know more tomorrow after a more rigorous practice. today was walk thru
12:15 PM - Dec 13, 2017

Seems logical to sit him and wait.Can’t risk not having him for that first playoff game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:23 pm 

Haden says he wants to play against the Pats. He said I'm just trying to push it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:28 pm 

Steelergenie wrote:
Haden says he wants to play against the Pats. He said I'm just trying to push it.

Push it real good

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:10 pm 

Careful though, push too hard and you'll prolapse.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:23 pm 

TB wrote:
Careful though, push too hard and you'll prolapse.

What the even hell?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:38 pm 

Haden limited again today. Doesn't look like he's going to make it for the Pats. Cooty DNP. Cam's the man.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:43 pm 

Steelergenie wrote:
Haden limited again today. Doesn't look like he's going to make it for the Pats. Cooty DNP. Cam's the man.

Hard to expect him to play when he just got back to practice this week and saying he was still "sore".

The player that is pissing me off is Vance not practicing again...there is no way he's gonna play this week in a game where he COULD BE HUGE.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:45 pm 

Also I didn't see this
Per Rotoworld:
JuJu Smith-Schuster was added to the Steelers' injury report on Thursday, getting in a limited session with a hamstring issue.
Smith-Schuster spent the second half of November battling hamstring problems, but didn't miss any game action. Mid-week additions are never good news, but his Friday status will be key. For now, we would operate under the assumption that JuJu Smith-Schuster will be out there against the Patriots.

Dec 14 - 4:38 PM