It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mike Mitchell Interview 93.7 The Fan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:23 pm 

R S wrote:
Spot on Nick. Just a football play between the whistles. It's astonishing that the WWE move by Gronk after the whistle was forgotten much faster than hard, tough hits in the field of play. I hold no grudge against the guy from the Bengals. That was a fast bang bang play. His best chance of breaking up the TD was to go where the ball was arriving, which was high. Even after all the rule changes, that's an instinctual thing for a football player. If he stays low at the wast he gives AB a much easier time hauling in the pass. Football, especially NFL football is so so fast. It's impossible to legislate injuries out of the game while still being able to call the game football. It's a fine line.
I can agree with all of this. However, the officiating is out of control. They had to call the penalty on the DB hitting AB after the JuJu hit, and they should have suspended Iloke just like they did JuJu. But they didn't.

But my observations has to do with what the NFL is doing by way of marketing. If you watched Inside the NFL on showtime - which is an NFL product - they started the show with talking about Shazier. Talked about the cheap hits. Talked about how football is a violent sport. Then they immediately proceeded to show highlights and mic'd the field of play instead of players so you could hear the pads collide and the hits were visible and palpable. Highlights of hits published all over the internet and celebrated every monday. Sports journalists and media consistently show clips of linemen being pancaked, RB being upended violently.

They contradict themselves. They are walking a fine line between selling a violent sport and talking about trying to take the "unnecessary" violence out of the game. But you can't. That's what football is and what every single player on the field knows and talks about. The NFL is talking out of both sides of its mouth.

Last edited by COR-TEN on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:27 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
R S wrote:
It's astonishing that the WWE move by Gronk after the whistle was forgotten much faster than hard, tough hits in the field of play.

To me, that deserves suspension maybe for the season! WOW! That's worse than starting a fist fight IMO! Worst unsportsmanlike action I may have ever seen.

And it really isn’t astonishing at all. Par for the course really given how the news media has devolved from reporting stories to creating their own narrative and thus creating the “story”.

It’s up to the individual more than ever to disseminate information and form their own opinion.

Unfortunately, far far too many people lack the cognitive ability or depth of thought to be able to do so. Throw in some inherent laziness and for many it is much easier to just believe what you are fed.

Gronkowski isn’t a story because those that pull the strings have decided it’s against their interest. The game Monday provided the needed material to pull a slight of hand...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:36 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
R S wrote:
Spot on Nick. Just a football play between the whistles. It's astonishing that the WWE move by Gronk after the whistle was forgotten much faster than hard, tough hits in the field of play. I hold no grudge against the guy from the Bengals. That was a fast bang bang play. His best chance of breaking up the TD was to go where the ball was arriving, which was high. Even after all the rule changes, that's an instinctual thing for a football player. If he stays low at the wast he gives AB a much easier time hauling in the pass. Football, especially NFL football is so so fast. It's impossible to legislate injuries out of the game while still being able to call the game football. It's a fine line.
I can agree with all of this. However, the officiating is out of control. They had to call the penalty on the DB hitting AB after the JuJu hit, and they should have suspended Iloke just like they did JuJu. But they didn't.

But my observations has to do with what the NFL is doing by way of marketing. If you watched Inside the NFL on showtime - which is an NFL product - they started the show with talking about Shazier. Talked about the cheap hits. Talked about how football is a violent sport. Then they immediately proceeded to show highlights and mic'd the field of play instead of players so you could hear the pads collide and the hits were visible and palpable. Highlights of hits published all over the internet and celebrated every monday. Sports journalists and media consistently show clips of linemen being pancaked, RB being upended violently.

They contradict themselves. They are walking a fine line between selling a violent sport and talking about trying to take the "unnecessary" violence out of the game. But you can't. That's what football is and what every single player on the field knows and talks about. The NFL is talking out of both sides of its mouth.

Applies to all the hypocrites on ESPN and NFLN doubly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:51 pm 

Manufactured emotions are all the rage.

In politics, they want you continuously pissed off about something.

Look at our news reports...15 minutes of terrifying events in the world and in nature to scare you into thinking the world is coming to an end, 10 minutes of bad people doing bad things (usually trying to rip you off or scam you), and 5 minutes of a heartwarming story usually involving a brave animal, a kind stranger helping out someone down on his luck, or an adorable four year old doing something really cute.

The degree to which media manipulates our emotions or beliefs is astonishingly horrifying in its effectiveness and scope.

Some days I wonder if we ever have a genuine moment in our lives anymore...every day more and more it feels like we are in a real life game of The Sims.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:33 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Wondering though...are people really watching games and cringing at what they see? Or...and this is what I believe, my experience, are people that would be prone to cringe simply not watching. My guess is that the media is filled with the cringers, but their jobs require them to keep watching.

I think the slow-motion replay dissection of pretty much every gruesome injury is probably a good indication where the sport and its fans lie.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:43 pm 

It's at a point where players will start getting hurt by trying to avoid flags. Imagine Juju holding up on that hit. He gets run over by a bigger man. That's a good way to get hurt.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”