It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mike Mitchell Interview 93.7 The Fan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:24 am 

I just listened to a Mike Mitchell interview on 93.7 the Fan (if you can download it - do it). Mitchell compared the NFL to MMA, saying its a full contact sport and people are going to get hurt. He quoted Ray Lewis saying this is a man's sport. He said the Iloka hit on AB in the end zone was ok (by the way I agree with him on this - I thought he was trying to break up the TD - it was ok in my book. I actually thought his earlier hit to AB on the sideline was worse and there was no flag). Mitchell said "we should all be wearing flags." He said he didn't sign up for this kind of football.

Mitchell is 100% right and I loved the interview and his views! Awesome stuff!

But guess what............

This country is changing. This country is getting softer. It's getting politically correct. We are trying to cater to everybody. It doesn't matter if I think that is right or wrong, because it is happening. Football is changing with it. I am hearing many high school teams can't even field Junior Varsity teams because kids aren't coming out. The NFL is changing too as we can all see. Defensive football is on attack. They want Tom Brady Flag Football. They don't want injuries or law suits down the road.

Change is constant, Growth Is optional.

The Steelers have been slow to change - defensively.

I would rather change and win rings than fight this fight because we are not going to win it.

Post subject: Re: Mike Mitchell Interview 93.7 The Fan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:28 am 

Wondering though...are people really watching games and cringing at what they see? Or...and this is what I believe, my experience, are people that would be prone to cringe simply not watching. My guess is that the media is filled with the cringers, but their jobs require them to keep watching.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:46 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
Wondering though...are people really watching games and cringing at what they see? Or...and this is what I believe, my experience, are people that would be prone to cringe simply not watching. My guess is that the media is filled with the cringers, but their jobs require them to keep watching.

Media = Faux Outrage to get the masses riled up

"Hey you should be bothered by XYZ". Then the average person thinks about it and says "yea I really should be and if I'm not that makes me a bad person". And then it avalanches into some social justice cause celebre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:00 am 

swissvale72 wrote:

I agree with this.

But I agree with OP too -- I think there are elements of both

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:28 am 

swissvale72 wrote:

All I know is when I saw what Juju did, I FELT NOTHING. If the talking heads didn't make a fuss, I'd just move on to the next play feeling like it was just a tough hit, but a normal football play like I've seen for 50 years. Even after the replay, I FEEL NOTHING, no outrage, in fact GLEE from seeing a superior block. As for people getting hurt, I only played football 5-6 years, through high school, and even with that limited experience a long time ago, all I know is I got hurt to some degree every year, and if you want to avoid injury, just don't play football, because I don't believe you can have safe football no matter what you do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:45 am 

All good points made here.

This is essentially why I don't like Mike Mitchell. I wish he'd just shut up and play... and, I dunno, maybe adapt his game to the league.

Sure, it makes for a good soundbyte and he's the rah-rah guy for the defense I guess, but he's completely missing the mark with his tangent.

Goodell just got a big extension and the NFL isn't going to just decide, "Yeah we'd rather just have people watch the sport and not worry about being sued for player safety." Their system for doling out punishments needs to be revamped because it's a subjective/inconsistent mess, but what does Mitchell expect is going to happen?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:02 am 

Nick79 wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

All I know is when I saw what Juju did, I FELT NOTHING. If the talking heads didn't make a fuss, I'd just move on to the next play feeling like it was just a tough hit, but a normal football play like I've seen for 50 years. Even after the replay, I FEEL NOTHING, no outrage, in fact GLEE from seeing a superior block. As for people getting hurt, I only played football 5-6 years, through high school, and even with that limited experience a long time ago, all I know is I got hurt to some degree every year, and if you want to avoid injury, just don't play football, because I don't believe you can have safe football no matter what you do.

Spot on Nick. Just a football play between the whistles. It's astonishing that the WWE move by Gronk after the whistle was forgotten much faster than hard, tough hits in the field of play. I hold no grudge against the guy from the Bengals. That was a fast bang bang play. His best chance of breaking up the TD was to go where the ball was arriving, which was high. Even after all the rule changes, that's an instinctual thing for a football player. If he stays low at the wast he gives AB a much easier time hauling in the pass. Football, especially NFL football is so so fast. It's impossible to legislate injuries out of the game while still being able to call the game football. It's a fine line.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:20 pm 

One team refused to sign this shit CBA. The player's union is fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:24 pm 

Social media gives people a place to be recreational outraged at things that really aren’t important and/or they know nothing about. People just read headlines, form an uneducated opinion from it and believe that opinion matters.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:15 pm 

R S wrote:
It's astonishing that the WWE move by Gronk after the whistle was forgotten much faster than hard, tough hits in the field of play.

To me, that deserves suspension maybe for the season! WOW! That's worse than starting a fist fight IMO! Worst unsportsmanlike action I may have ever seen.