It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: I really hope Gruden gets a coaching job...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:08 am 

This piece has been referenced elsewhere....worth seeing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvVKkh1fYI0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:13 am 

One of the worst announcers I've ever heard. He's right up there with Fouts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:13 am 

"Antonio Bryant on one side, with Shuster-smith and Martavis Bryant on the other."

- Gruden.

In between praising Burfict for being a role model.

He's a fucking joke.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:48 am 

Scarletfire1970 wrote:
Ice wrote:
Watching it again today, it was slightly shameful the way they were favoring Cincitucky at almost every possible turn.

They were openly rooting for them like fanboys

I almost always (Dan Dierdorf, my favorite exception) feel like they're against us in the heat of the moment, like I think almost every NFL fan (except Packers, Patriots and Cowboys fans) does, but it's rare when you listen to it a day later and it's so blatant.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:52 am 

the-other-burg wrote:
"Antonio Bryant on one side, with Shuster-smith and Martavis Bryant on the other."

- Gruden.

In between praising Burfict for being a role model.

He's a fucking joke.

The Antonio Bryant thing killed me, and he did it more than once. Heck of a receiver for a couple of seasons at Pitt, though. I may be inclined to agree with the Thrillseeker about alcohol possibly being involved.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:07 pm 

Maybe Gruden thought Burfucked was unfairly ejected earlier in the year for touching an official. Maybe Burfucked asked Gruden to help put lipstick on a pig.

But it is true, though, that there is a narrative for each game. I know the NFL likes to promote rivalries and hard fought games, they don't want it to look like a brutal, gladiator-like spectacle. Painting burfucked as a legitimate player focuses the attention on good football, instead of the thuggery he's known for. "Thuggery" the NFL wants to remove from the game. Therefore, create an alternate reality surrounding the dirtiest player in the NFL. It was clearly a PR move.

This is our society today : Create an alternate reality and keep repeating it until it becomes everybody's reality. So the idea of hypocrisy or lying through your teeth has no meaning.

And speaking of lying, if anybody has the chance to watch "Icarus" on netflix, I highly recommend it. It's about russian athletes doping for the olympics and any other international sporting competition. Apropos now that they've recently been banned by the IOC for the next winter olympics. They've denied doping despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary over the course of decades, and the russian public believes they are being targeted with "politically driven" attacks. Poor russia.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:33 pm 

Why are we getting worked up over a promoter promoting a game? Gruden's job is to engage the viewer and by the looks of this thread, he has done his job. Remember my fellow posters the Bengals have been on MNF 6 times since 2004 and they suck! The only reason they were on was because of us. This was supposed to be about two dogs- one bone. And because they suck- you have to dress it up for those tuning in to see if the Steelers can maintain- most hoping they wouldn't.

Steelers in prime time is money for the networks, and they know no one with a "Turrible Towel" is turning the game off. So if Gruden cozies up to the Steelers and starts fellating the Steelers- where is that going to get them? Nowhere, no one outside of B&G is tuning in to hear the Steelers Radio Network on TV. Give them a slightly Bengals POV and they win what they want- viewers. And because of its fantastic ending, it made money (see below)

Quote:
A bruising and often brutal battle between rivals the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Cincinnati Bengals last night on the Disney-owned cabler delivered a 7.8 result in metered market ratings. With the Steelers winning 23-20, the rating is a jump up of 30% in the early numbers both from last week’s low MNF and the equivalent game of December 5, 2016.

Not defending Gruden but anyone that has watched pro Rassling knows a heel in the broadcast booth can drive your ratings. And while that wasn't JR and the King in the Booth- the lessons learned were evident.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:41 pm 

VeritasSteel wrote:
Why are we getting worked up over a promoter promoting a game? Gruden's job is to engage the viewer and by the looks of this thread, he has done his job. Remember my fellow posters the Bengals have been on MNF 6 times since 2004 and they suck! The only reason they were on was because of us. This was supposed to be about two dogs- one bone. And because they suck- you have to dress it up for those tuning in to see if the Steelers can maintain- most hoping they wouldn't.

Steelers in prime time is money for the networks, and they know no one with a "Turrible Towel" is turning the game off. So if Gruden cozies up to the Steelers and starts fellating the Steelers- where is that going to get them? Nowhere, no one outside of B&G is tuning in to hear the Steelers Radio Network on TV. Give them a slightly Bengals POV and they win what they want- viewers. And because of its fantastic ending, it made money (see below)

Quote:
A bruising and often brutal battle between rivals the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Cincinnati Bengals last night on the Disney-owned cabler delivered a 7.8 result in metered market ratings. With the Steelers winning 23-20, the rating is a jump up of 30% in the early numbers both from last week’s low MNF and the equivalent game of December 5, 2016.

Not defending Gruden but anyone that has watched pro Rassling knows a heel in the broadcast booth can drive your ratings. And while that wasn't JR and the King in the Booth- the lessons learned were evident.
Although I agree that it's all about ratings, gruden was over the top. Other broadcasters have engaged in ball washing for other teams to attract viewers, but what he said about burfucked was clearly a PR move for the linebacker. Having his clock cleaned only added to the re-imaging of his nfl career. And if your theory holds true, why does every single broadcaster and sports pundit fellate Belichick and Brady every week?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:12 pm 

They fellate Brady and Bellichick because it's good to have heels in the actual game, not just the announcers' booth. I get where you're coming from with promoting the product from the booth, but this was a serious course correction from the way Gruden has called Steeler contests in the past, combined with extremely over the top reactions/moralizing, as well as barely being able to get some relatively well-known players' names straight. Not all of that follows the narrative we're discussing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:41 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Although I agree that it's all about ratings, gruden was over the top. Other broadcasters have engaged in ball washing for other teams to attract viewers, but what he said about burfucked was clearly a PR move for the linebacker. Having his clock cleaned only added to the re-imaging of his nfl career. And if your theory holds true, why does every single broadcaster and sports pundit fellate Belichick and Brady every week?

Ask yourself the question who was watching MNF? Of course Steelers fans and Bengal fans (those who have TVs). And everyone else who has a dog in the AFC playoff fight. Which is pretty much EVERYONE- except the Browns. And while they were all hoping the Bengals lost- except the Patriots- they wanted to see the Steelers get exposed. So how do you keep those fans watching? You don't go hard on the favorite- you pump up the home underdog and for a half it was good. If Cincy had come out and laid a turd and we were up by 20 and Gruden was talking about Bell like he wanted to propose- ABC doesnt get what they want- eyes on screens.

But come on COR when JuJu smashed him you felt like you were 8 watching a villain wrestler finally get what was due him. That's the kind of stuff that is scripted and directed in the WWE, and ABC/Disney got a gift. They come out and condemn it- but they are cashing the checks. Everyone in both conferences knows what a heel Burfict is and seeing that was some sort of satisfaction for a lot of fans.

The game is nearly 48 hours old and we are still talking about him- in any marketing scenario- that's a victory.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next