It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FWIW: Postgame Free Thought Project
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:42 pm 

I know I have been strident in defending this team's QB and Head Coach, and that many (most of you) are gleefully belittling me for it. But last night's game is my defense in a nutshell. It's not about any one poor throw or bad decision-- that's not how you judge greatness. You judge greatness by how it handles adversity and how it refuses to give up.

It's why we fear the Patriots and Brady. When they were getting their asses kicked in the first part of the Buffalo game, was there any doubt they were going to find a way, likely to a blow out? That was the most likely outcome, and it's always a surprise when they get actually outscored and the game is over.

This QB & HC we have are like that to 30 franchises.

The reason I don't give a crap about nitpicking every throw/decision Ben makes is: he invariably makes so many more quality plays and comes up so big when the game and the season is on the line. He's totally in charge and icewater, in a "Look, it's John Candy!' kind of way. As long as that team has 7 out there, they've always got a chance.

As for the HC... the team turns like an oil tanker precisely so that it can stay the course and withstand huge blows like they did last night. However, he still manages to make the changes necessary to get the team to its best: more aggressive D, Fitchner to the sideline, more no-huddle, more Ben-centric offense, replacing Sensabaugh with Sutton, etc. Somehow, he's managed to, once again, press the buttons for his team. Even if you think it's a clusterfuck inside that black box, leave it alone-- it's working!

Can't say enough about what this team did after being down 17 and facing everything psychologically that they were at that point. They were dead in the water with :31 left in the half. From that point forward, 391-86 in yards, 19:13-11:18 TOP, 23-3 in points.

I think the NFL's strategy is trying to "penalty" STs out of existence... and it's working. Considering the affinity for return game penalties, pretty much every one of us on this board would take the ball at the 25 after KOs, and would take it 40 yards downfield after every punt. Encourage teams to go for it on 4th down when inside the opponents' 40, because a touchback is guaranteed.

I watch this team and, for all its drama/dysfunction... I don't think they're going to lose another meaningful game this season. 7 is getting us 7, and it's coming down the tracks before our very eyes. Get onboard the bandwagon now while there's plenty of room.

Post subject: Re: FWIW: Postgame Free Thought Project
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:06 pm 

I agree with most of this. Exactly the reason I also don't nitpick Ben, he makes way more good plays than bad and hes earned an enormous amount of goodwill with me for all the greatness hes displayed on the field. As for the HC, I don't have him anywhere near Bens level in comparison, but he was at his best last night, as stated by others, hes a leader of men, and lead he did last night, rallied the troops, that doesn't mean hes a great gameday tactician and and game manager and he isn't it imo, would I want him over most other present nfl HCs? Yes, but that's also not saying a lot cuz most nfl coaches are morons on gameday imo. Overall he does more good than bad. As for Fichtner, no way to tell whose decision to put him on the sideline these last 3 games was unless you know something most of us don't.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:17 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
I agree with most of this. Exactly the reason I also don't nitpick Ben, he makes way more good plays than bad and hes earned an enormous amount of goodwill with me for all the greatness hes displayed on the field. As for the HC, I don't have him anywhere near Bens level in comparison, but he was at his best last night, as stated by others, hes a leader of men, and lead he did last night, rallied the troops, that doesn't mean hes a great gameday tactician and and game manager and he isn't it imo, would I want him over most other present nfl HCs? Yes, but that's also not saying a lot cuz most nfl coaches are morons on gameday imo. Overall he does more good than bad. As for Fichtner, no way to tell whose decision to put him on the sideline these last 3 games was unless you know something most of us don't.

I don't know that it was the HC, but I'm saying that whatever changes need to be made, eventually they get made-- happens every year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:29 pm 

I’m not getting the Fichtner reference. Are we saying he’s the de facto OC right now?

Something going on of which I’m not aware?

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:32 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
I’m not getting the Fichtner reference. Are we saying he’s the de facto OC right now?

Something going on of which I’m not aware?

Just that he moved from the box to the sideline coincidentally with the uptick in Ben's/offense's performance.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:33 pm 

Nice post B2B. This team has some serious mental fortitude. And, as folks are fond of saying, that starts at the top. :)

What a legendary game . . .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:35 pm 

By the way, two more thoughts:

1. the throws Ben made on the would be TD AB dropped and especially on the DPI deep ball before the half were as good as he's ever thrown the deep ball, so I think we can ditch that "why can't Ben hit the deep ball any more???" meme.

2. the Lafell catch of the Bengals lone scoring drive in H2 was a blown call-- he was nowhere near inbounds.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:40 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

1. the throws Ben made on the would be TD AB dropped and especially on the DPI deep ball before the half were as good as he's ever thrown the deep ball, so I think we can ditch that "why can't Ben hit the deep ball any more???" meme.

2. the Lafell catch of the Bengals lone scoring drive in H2 was a blown call-- he was nowhere near inbounds.

Post the vid, B2B...I think he was in....was shown repeatedly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:46 pm 

another thought..the old and tired narrative of "Ben eye fucks his WRs"...#1 all QBs do it at times, and #2 Ben eye fucked AB the whole time on that last TD so how you like them apples.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:47 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Post the vid, B2B...I think he was in....was shown repeatedly.

His first foot was down when the ball arrived, but he didn't possess it clearly right away. By the time his second foot was down he had control. third foot oob.

I think this play would have been overturned with a challenge.