It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF THIS TEAM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:12 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:
I don't mind the challenge. If there is even a decent chance of getting a turnover, I think a TO is worth it. I still have a huge problem with timeout after the sack.

1st goal is to not leave them any time... our drive was going to end with 0:00 on the clock, no matter what. The TO was only for getting the FG unit on the field. Calling TO after the snap allowed the O to operate in near normal conditions, with every thing in play, and more or less forced the Bengals to use their TOs, regardless of whether we were hurrying or not.

The difference is: we were able to manipulate the clock and playcall according to our plans, instead of scrambling at the end of the game and risking a mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:15 am 

Jeemie wrote:
StillerDownSouth wrote:
I’m guessing Tomlin valued the extra 40 seconds over an extra timeout at the end of the game, guess he was just full of shit in his presser last week.

Tomlin repeated himself in a pregame interview that he values timeouts over time saved. He wants timeouts for his offense and will burn clock as needed to preserve them.

That said...the situation last night was utterly different than the situations we were talking about before. By calling that timeout on defense, Tomlin was giving himself flexibility to run clock as he wished while STILL having a timeout in his pocket. There was way more time left on the clock than there was in the previous situations we discussed.

You know who really fucked up time management last night?

Marvin Lewis.

Once the Steelers got the ball at their own 40, the odds they were going to drive into position for at least a FG attempt were quite high. Marvin should have been in time preservation mode...and yet he let clock run twice when he could have used timeouts to stop it.

Thank you for saying it better than I did.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:16 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:
I don't mind the challenge. If there is even a decent chance of getting a turnover, I think a TO is worth it. I still have a huge problem with timeout after the sack.

1st goal is to not leave them any time... our drive was going to end with 0:00 on the clock, no matter what. The TO was only for getting the FG unit on the field. Calling TO after the snap allowed the O to operate in near normal conditions, with every thing in play, and more or less forced the Bengals to use their TOs, regardless of whether we were hurrying or not.

The difference is: we were able to manipulate the clock and playcall according to our plans, instead of scrambling at the end of the game and risking a mistake.

Actually, I don't think you can definitively say our drive was going to end with 0:00 on the clock. Marvin Lewis twice allowed the clock to run instead of calling timeout- that helped matters.

Yes- we could have bled clock ourselves once Cincinnati used its remaining timeouts, but that would have required running the ball...and we can't guarantee we would have kept picking up first downs doing that.

Marvin Lewis' abysmal clock management decisions helped us out there.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:31 am 

Miter Saw wrote:
StillerDownSouth wrote:
On a side note, hope I never have to hear Gruden and Sean McDontKnow ever call another Steeler game ever again. Quite possibly the worst commentary I have ever heard.

Quite possibly the worst announcing job I can remember.

It's like they took 2 drunk dudes out of the stands and said here's some mic's.

No signs of any preparation....just reactions.

I'm going to keep writing this team off every week....man they're a surprising bunch.

Game was very reminiscent of that playoff game. Weather. Late win. Injuries. Ugliness. No more Bengals games this year, that's another positive.

I agree whole hardheartedly that they were over the top with some of the stuff after the Burfict hit. Was not nearly as egregious as they suggested. Taunting was stupid

However I have to give them props when they took a shot at the officiating which is very rare. They went after the officials hard. They mentioned this crew threw the third(??) most flags in the league etc.

For me if there is one issue with the NFL that is turning me off it is the over officiousness of the game. Waaaaaay to many penalties called, kills any flow. Ticky tack has become a penalty every time. There is a saying in football officiating and it is "if you THINK you have a penalty you DON'T". Point being it has to 100% be a penalty AND have an impact on the play. Holding 30 yards away from the play does not affect the play, let it go. I liked very much that they called that crew out for all kinds of ticky tack bullshit flags. The holding call on Watt, ticky tack (the interference call on Bryant was a penalty)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:55 am 

I agree about the officiating. Abysmal. Bengals TD should have stood, as the return by bryant - which was a make up call. JuJu's block in my book was legal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:33 pm 

My brother and I were bewildered when we saw time ticking off the clock under 2 minutes. What’s the goal there, Marvin?

Bell’s run on first down where he waited in the backfield for eternity was spectacular. Bengals could not stop us on that last drive. Perfect balance of running and safe throws (well, the one to Bryant may have not been “safe” but I trust Grey to hit that window).

Masterful offensive game plan to win at the end. Was that Todd Haley? Who stole our Todd Haley?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:38 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:

2:45 seconds left. Let’s say first down you go incomplete or tackled for no gain. Next down incomplete. All of a sudden, you have a huge third down with a lot of time left on the clock. If the Steelers get into field goal range, they wouldn’t need 2:45. All they really need is two minutes (or 29 seconds). But if they fail, the extra time would’ve helped the Bengals. Having the extra timeout would have enabled you to use it once the drive was appeared to be successful.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:42 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I agree about the officiating. Abysmal. Bengals TD should have stood, as the return by bryant - which was a make up call. JuJu's block in my book was legal.

Bengals player had a handful of Watts’ jersey after Watt passed him. That’s called holding on DBs all of the time. Bengals got hosed on other calls; of course Green used a swim move to get open on a TD.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:47 pm 

Zeke5123 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:

2:45 seconds left. Let’s say first down you go incomplete or tackled for no gain. Next down incomplete. All of a sudden, you have a huge third down with a lot of time left on the clock. If the Steelers get into field goal range, they wouldn’t need 2:45. All they really need is two minutes (or 29 seconds). But if they fail, the extra time would’ve helped the Bengals. Having the extra timeout would have enabled you to use it once the drive was appeared to be successful.

I would have bet the house the Steelers were running on 1st play of their drive. They called plays to run clock, and it happened to gain yards.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:51 pm 

I think at that point Tomlin has to (which he did, and which he said he did last week as well) put all his eggs in the basket of how can his team best drive for the winning FG. It is with 2:00 left and two timeouts, or is it with 2:47 and one timeout. He chose the latter. I agreed with him last night, disagreed with him last week.

I don't think he was focused on what would happen if his team goes three and out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next