It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF THIS TEAM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16562
Zeke5123 wrote:
I don't mind the challenge. If there is even a decent chance of getting a turnover, I think a TO is worth it. I still have a huge problem with timeout after the sack.

1st goal is to not leave them any time... our drive was going to end with 0:00 on the clock, no matter what. The TO was only for getting the FG unit on the field. Calling TO after the snap allowed the O to operate in near normal conditions, with every thing in play, and more or less forced the Bengals to use their TOs, regardless of whether we were hurrying or not.

The difference is: we were able to manipulate the clock and playcall according to our plans, instead of scrambling at the end of the game and risking a mistake.

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF THIS TEAM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16562
Jeemie wrote:
StillerDownSouth wrote:
I’m guessing Tomlin valued the extra 40 seconds over an extra timeout at the end of the game, guess he was just full of shit in his presser last week.


Tomlin repeated himself in a pregame interview that he values timeouts over time saved. He wants timeouts for his offense and will burn clock as needed to preserve them.

That said...the situation last night was utterly different than the situations we were talking about before. By calling that timeout on defense, Tomlin was giving himself flexibility to run clock as he wished while STILL having a timeout in his pocket. There was way more time left on the clock than there was in the previous situations we discussed.

You know who really fucked up time management last night?

Marvin Lewis.

Once the Steelers got the ball at their own 40, the odds they were going to drive into position for at least a FG attempt were quite high. Marvin should have been in time preservation mode...and yet he let clock run twice when he could have used timeouts to stop it.

Thank you for saying it better than I did.

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF THIS TEAM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23445
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:
I don't mind the challenge. If there is even a decent chance of getting a turnover, I think a TO is worth it. I still have a huge problem with timeout after the sack.

1st goal is to not leave them any time... our drive was going to end with 0:00 on the clock, no matter what. The TO was only for getting the FG unit on the field. Calling TO after the snap allowed the O to operate in near normal conditions, with every thing in play, and more or less forced the Bengals to use their TOs, regardless of whether we were hurrying or not.

The difference is: we were able to manipulate the clock and playcall according to our plans, instead of scrambling at the end of the game and risking a mistake.


Actually, I don't think you can definitively say our drive was going to end with 0:00 on the clock. Marvin Lewis twice allowed the clock to run instead of calling timeout- that helped matters.

Yes- we could have bled clock ourselves once Cincinnati used its remaining timeouts, but that would have required running the ball...and we can't guarantee we would have kept picking up first downs doing that.

Marvin Lewis' abysmal clock management decisions helped us out there.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF THIS TEAM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:08 am
Posts: 1259
Miter Saw wrote:
StillerDownSouth wrote:
On a side note, hope I never have to hear Gruden and Sean McDontKnow ever call another Steeler game ever again. Quite possibly the worst commentary I have ever heard.


Quite possibly the worst announcing job I can remember.

It's like they took 2 drunk dudes out of the stands and said here's some mic's.

No signs of any preparation....just reactions.

I'm going to keep writing this team off every week....man they're a surprising bunch.

Game was very reminiscent of that playoff game. Weather. Late win. Injuries. Ugliness. No more Bengals games this year, that's another positive.



I agree whole hardheartedly that they were over the top with some of the stuff after the Burfict hit. Was not nearly as egregious as they suggested. Taunting was stupid

However I have to give them props when they took a shot at the officiating which is very rare. They went after the officials hard. They mentioned this crew threw the third(??) most flags in the league etc.

For me if there is one issue with the NFL that is turning me off it is the over officiousness of the game. Waaaaaay to many penalties called, kills any flow. Ticky tack has become a penalty every time. There is a saying in football officiating and it is "if you THINK you have a penalty you DON'T". Point being it has to 100% be a penalty AND have an impact on the play. Holding 30 yards away from the play does not affect the play, let it go. I liked very much that they called that crew out for all kinds of ticky tack bullshit flags. The holding call on Watt, ticky tack (the interference call on Bryant was a penalty)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF THIS TEAM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6602
I agree about the officiating. Abysmal. Bengals TD should have stood, as the return by bryant - which was a make up call. JuJu's block in my book was legal.

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF THIS TEAM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 9275
My brother and I were bewildered when we saw time ticking off the clock under 2 minutes. What’s the goal there, Marvin?

Bell’s run on first down where he waited in the backfield for eternity was spectacular. Bengals could not stop us on that last drive. Perfect balance of running and safe throws (well, the one to Bryant may have not been “safe” but I trust Grey to hit that window).

Masterful offensive game plan to win at the end. Was that Todd Haley? Who stole our Todd Haley?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF THIS TEAM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 2257
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:
I don't mind the challenge. If there is even a decent chance of getting a turnover, I think a TO is worth it. I still have a huge problem with timeout after the sack.

1st goal is to not leave them any time... our drive was going to end with 0:00 on the clock, no matter what. The TO was only for getting the FG unit on the field. Calling TO after the snap allowed the O to operate in near normal conditions, with every thing in play, and more or less forced the Bengals to use their TOs, regardless of whether we were hurrying or not.

The difference is: we were able to manipulate the clock and playcall according to our plans, instead of scrambling at the end of the game and risking a mistake.


2:45 seconds left. Let’s say first down you go incomplete or tackled for no gain. Next down incomplete. All of a sudden, you have a huge third down with a lot of time left on the clock. If the Steelers get into field goal range, they wouldn’t need 2:45. All they really need is two minutes (or 29 seconds). But if they fail, the extra time would’ve helped the Bengals. Having the extra timeout would have enabled you to use it once the drive was appeared to be successful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF THIS TEAM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 2257
COR-TEN wrote:
I agree about the officiating. Abysmal. Bengals TD should have stood, as the return by bryant - which was a make up call. JuJu's block in my book was legal.


Bengals player had a handful of Watts’ jersey after Watt passed him. That’s called holding on DBs all of the time. Bengals got hosed on other calls; of course Green used a swim move to get open on a TD.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF THIS TEAM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16562
Zeke5123 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:
I don't mind the challenge. If there is even a decent chance of getting a turnover, I think a TO is worth it. I still have a huge problem with timeout after the sack.

1st goal is to not leave them any time... our drive was going to end with 0:00 on the clock, no matter what. The TO was only for getting the FG unit on the field. Calling TO after the snap allowed the O to operate in near normal conditions, with every thing in play, and more or less forced the Bengals to use their TOs, regardless of whether we were hurrying or not.

The difference is: we were able to manipulate the clock and playcall according to our plans, instead of scrambling at the end of the game and risking a mistake.


2:45 seconds left. Let’s say first down you go incomplete or tackled for no gain. Next down incomplete. All of a sudden, you have a huge third down with a lot of time left on the clock. If the Steelers get into field goal range, they wouldn’t need 2:45. All they really need is two minutes (or 29 seconds). But if they fail, the extra time would’ve helped the Bengals. Having the extra timeout would have enabled you to use it once the drive was appeared to be successful.

I would have bet the house the Steelers were running on 1st play of their drive. They called plays to run clock, and it happened to gain yards.

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF THIS TEAM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7337
I think at that point Tomlin has to (which he did, and which he said he did last week as well) put all his eggs in the basket of how can his team best drive for the winning FG. It is with 2:00 left and two timeouts, or is it with 2:47 and one timeout. He chose the latter. I agreed with him last night, disagreed with him last week.

I don't think he was focused on what would happen if his team goes three and out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF THIS TEAM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:53 pm 
Online

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:43 am
Posts: 243
Why are we posting in complete hypotheticals too? Tomlin played it perfectly in this scenario. I get the sense that if they needed to burn more clock they would have thrown a couple more times to pick up another first down. They were moving the ball at will in the 4th and there's no reason to believe that it wouldn't continue to happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF THIS TEAM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6602
Zeke5123 wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
I agree about the officiating. Abysmal. Bengals TD should have stood, as the return by bryant - which was a make up call. JuJu's block in my book was legal.


Bengals player had a handful of Watts’ jersey after Watt passed him. That’s called holding on DBs all of the time. Bengals got hosed on other calls; of course Green used a swim move to get open on a TD.
I just saw the replay in slow motion. He did slow down watt.

I haven't been able to find the MB return for TD called back. That seemed like a ticky tacky call as well.

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF THIS TEAM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7337
COR-TEN wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
I agree about the officiating. Abysmal. Bengals TD should have stood, as the return by bryant - which was a make up call. JuJu's block in my book was legal.


Bengals player had a handful of Watts’ jersey after Watt passed him. That’s called holding on DBs all of the time. Bengals got hosed on other calls; of course Green used a swim move to get open on a TD.
I just saw the replay in slow motion. He did slow down watt.

I haven't been able to find the MB return for TD called back. That seemed like a ticky tacky call as well.


Watt was definitely held. Hell....the blocker had a handful of jersey. They showed another clip of the Wilcox penalty....it seemed as though he was holding him for several seconds prior to the point that MB passed him. I think they were both good calls.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF THIS TEAM
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Posts: 4414
JackSplat58 wrote:
After seeing their teammate possibly paralyzed (knock on wood) and being devastated in the first half, they went into the locker room and got it together just as I predicted.

And say what you want about Mike Tomlin, he has to be given a lot of credit for composing his team and making adjustments (Sutton) and pulling this out.

I'm loving this season, these are the good old days!


Never?

Cripes, I was far more prouder in Jan '75, Jan '76, Jan '79, Jan '80, Feb '06 and Feb '09.

_________________
Because Tomlin.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD OF THIS TEAM
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 pm
Posts: 11756
Obviously wrote:
JackSplat58 wrote:
After seeing their teammate possibly paralyzed (knock on wood) and being devastated in the first half, they went into the locker room and got it together just as I predicted.

And say what you want about Mike Tomlin, he has to be given a lot of credit for composing his team and making adjustments (Sutton) and pulling this out.

I'm loving this season, these are the good old days!


Never?

Cripes, I was far more prouder in Jan '75, Jan '76, Jan '79, Jan '80, Feb '06 and Feb '09.


Right with ya.

_________________
86n96 wrote:
I might've finally been right about something.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 14Thumb, 86n96, AirRescueFF, bam morris, Bing [Bot], DrMalba, franco32, Google [Bot], Greenwood13x, Joey's Pitbull, Kodiak, LakecrestSteeler, Miter Saw, Poltargyst, seabs926, SOCALSTEEL, Steel in Paradise, steelmann58, steelsmitty, Still Lit, Stillcajun, TB, tunch, USS Steelerworks and 103 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group