It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shazier updates
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:27 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
When you see the force these guys run into each other over and over again, its shocking this doesn't happen more often than it does really.

Yep. In fact, I’m fully expecting someone to die on the field in a national broadcast at some point. Not to sound morbid, but the game is that fast, that brutal.

I think its more of a testament to how durable and resilient the human body is. Even more so when it's kept in optimal condition. Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:24 am 

While still way too premature to speculate about his recovery, I think this is positive knews in that it seems and you medical experts can correct me if I'm wrong that the surgery sure has as much do to about controlling Shaz's movements in order to give him the best recovery possible, whatever the level of recovery may be.

Quote:
Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer

While he remains hospitalized in Pittsburgh, Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier continues to show gradual improvement from his back injury, people familiar with his condition told ESPN.
Doctors are controlling and limiting his movement as they wait for the swelling and bruising in his back to subside, sources said.
It is premature to say whether Shazier will play football again, but the focus right now is not on his playing career but on trying to facilitate his recovery.

Wide receiver Antonio Brown is one of 15 Steelers players who will wear custom cleats featuring injured teammate Ryan Shazier during warm-ups for Sunday's game against the Ravens.

Shazier underwent spinal stabilization surgery Wednesday after suffering a severe back injury against the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday night. He spent Monday and Tuesday night at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center before being transferred to a University of Pittsburgh Medical Center facility.
The Steelers have not updated his status since Thursday's surgery announcement, but his season is over and the team says it is concerned solely about his short- and long-term health.
Since he returned to Pittsburgh, Shazier has received visits from Steelers owner Art Rooney and multiple teammates, sources said. Shazier's family is also with him.
The injury has weighed heavily on the minds of his teammates, the organization and city. For Sunday night's game against the Baltimore Ravens, at least 15 players will be wearing cleats honoring Shazier and his expression, "Shalieve."

Last edited by GreekSteel on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:22 pm 

NFL Today Show provided a little bit of positive news

I'm paraphrasing but they said the Steelers expect him to walk again.....playing football again was unclear but they expect him to be IR'd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:18 pm 

Someone put together a Shazier 6-minute movie which I'm linking. I'm not going to embed this video because the comments are worth reading:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ998HUS9no

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:56 pm 

Browns RB Duke Johnson gives a prayer for Shazier after TD, makes a #50 with his hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD4m9YVwbV4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:20 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
Someone put together a Shazier 6-minute movie which I'm linking. I'm not going to embed this video because the comments are worth reading:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ998HUS9no

This hit me in the feelers big time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:00 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
Browns RB Duke Johnson gives a prayer for Shazier after TD, makes a #50 with his hands.

Very classy move by Duke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 pm 

Duke Johnson grew up 20 minutes away from Shazier in Florida.
Here's a longer look at his tribute.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NOTSCTop10PI ... 53/video/1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:44 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:

Vince Williams crying really fuckin hit me last week

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:13 pm 

Officially placed on IR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:20 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
blu wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Gronks cheap ass shouldn’t even be playing next week.

It's better Gronk plays as they'll have the game to try to figure out how to utilize Watt to cover him for the playoffs. While this game of course matters, as well - the Steelers get to play again unlike in the post-season when it's do or die.

That’s a good point, but let’s be totally honest. You can’t cover Gronk. You can slow him a bit but it’s damn near impossible. He’s like Ewing on a post up inside the paint.

Best way to “cover” Gronk is to make his dumb ass have to play in front of a sold out crowd in Heinz Field for all the marbles. Gronk is a big dumb fuck and shouldn’t be playing next week.

Don't really want to add anything but speculation on Shaz to this thread, but there's some pretty solid tape out there showing that after numerous injuries and some age, Gronk isn't what he once was, isn't what his reputation is, and isn't what we're making him out to be. The reason he went Macho Man Savage against White is that he was pissed at all the OPI calls he's been getting, and all the DPI calls he hasn't, because he can't run by people to get past them anymore, isn't a great route runner, and basically has to barrel into guys and hope for the best. He isn't worth the amount of urine currently being spilt on our collective mattresses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:22 pm 

Ice wrote:
Don't really want to add anything but speculation on Shaz to this thread, but there's some pretty solid tape out there showing that after numerous injuries and some age, Gronk isn't what he once was, isn't what his reputation is, and isn't what we're making him out to be. The reason he went Macho Man Savage against White is that he was pissed at all the OPI calls he's been getting, and all the DPI calls he hasn't, because he can't run by people to get past them anymore, isn't a great route runner, and basically has to barrel into guys and hope for the best. He isn't worth the amount of urine currently being spilt on our collective mattresses.

Nominating that for best quote of the week

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:24 pm 

"]
Orangesteel wrote:
blu wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Gronks cheap ass shouldn’t even be playing next week.

It's better Gronk plays as they'll have the game to try to figure out how to utilize Watt to cover him for the playoffs. While this game of course matters, as well - the Steelers get to play again unlike in the post-season when it's do or die.

That’s a good point, but let’s be totally honest. You can’t cover Gronk. You can slow him a bit but it’s damn near impossible. He’s like Ewing on a post up inside the paint.

Best way to “cover” Gronk is to make his dumb ass have to play in front of a sold out crowd in Heinz Field for all the marbles. Gronk is a big dumb fuck and shouldn’t be playing next week.

Don't really want to add anything but speculation on Shaz to this thread, but there's some pretty solid tape out there showing that after numerous injuries and some age, Gronk isn't what he once was, isn't what his reputation is, and isn't what we're making him out to be. The reason he went Macho Man Savage against White is that he was pissed at all the OPI calls he's been getting, and all the DPI calls he hasn't, because he can't run by people to get past them anymore, isn't a great route runner, and basically has to barrel into guys and hope for the best. He isn't worth the amount of urine currently being spilt on our collective mattresses.[/quote]

not quite, at least against buffalo and White in particular..he was getting held big time, its why he lost his cool, and lots of dbs have been getting away with holding and or mugging him which suggests he can still indeed run past dbs and out muscle them..oh and let me be clear its more than just a suggestion btw, he isn't even remotely washed up...not that ure suggesting hes washed up but hes still a major mismatch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:33 pm 

If he's not getting by them, and they're not bouncing off (and White isn't exactly the biggest CB in the league), then he's not what he once was, sir. He's not frustrated because the clutching and grabbing is happening. It always has. He's frustrated because it's working.

And again, totally happy to pick this debate up in any one of the unnecessarily large number of Patriots threads below. No offense to anybody, but as a Buckeye, Steeler and Ryan Shazier fan, would like to keep this thread on point.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:59 pm 

Back to Shazier going to IR, we bring someone up to replace, correct? Wonder if Adams is a possibility at OLB?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:23 pm 

SteelWill wrote:
Back to Shazier going to IR, we bring someone up to replace, correct? Wonder if Adams is a possibility at OLB?

JuJu back from suspension.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 pm 

Ice wrote:
If he's not getting by them, and they're not bouncing off (and White isn't exactly the biggest CB in the league), then he's not what he once was, sir. He's not frustrated because the clutching and grabbing is happening. It always has. He's frustrated because it's working.

And again, totally happy to pick this debate up in any one of the unnecessarily large number of Patriots threads below. No offense to anybody, but as a Buckeye, Steeler and Ryan Shazier fan, would like to keep this thread on point.
Agreed. Leave this thread for Shazier's health.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:13 pm 

Quote:
Ryan Shazier remains hospitalized at UPMC recovering from the spinal stabilization surgery performed last week by UPMC neurosurgeons and Steelers team physicians Drs. David Okonkwo and Joseph Maroon. Mr. Shazier has started physical rehabilitation as part of his recovery process. Further updates will be provided by UPMC.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-4/Statement-on-Shazier-Dec-14/df2e8599-d0ff-4faf-a0cf-8c2b7d62cdc9

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:14 pm 

From Dr. Chao

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-ryan-shazier-movement-legs-hospital-rehab-1215-story.html

By ProFootballDocContact Reporter
Sports Medical Analyst
There is possible bad news and possible good news to be gleaned from the reports Ryan Shazier remains in the hospital as he begins his rehabilitation phase.

Obviously, doctors believe there is hope for improvement, or there would be no need to move to rehabilitation.

However, the circumstance also indicates Shazier does not have full neurologic function.

The spinal stabilization surgery Shazier underwent last week after being injured making a tackle in a game on Dec. 4 requires rehabilitation and therapy, but that is usually done on an outpatient basis if there is no neurologic issue.

Shazier still being in the hospital as he begins the rehab process indicates the likelihood his neurologic recovery from lower body paralysis and/or a lack of feeling is not complete.

If the patient has full motor strength, he/she is usually discharged to home within a week if it is just recovery from spinal fusion surgery where there is no neurological deficit.

Shazier is still at the same medical center but likely has been transferred out of the acute care section to a hospital facility specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation for spinal cord injuries.

There are still a wide variety of possibilities here. Those range from inpatient rehab as a spare-no-expense approach to help Shazier through a minor neurological deficiency to a rehab regimen that will literally attempt to teach him how to walk again.

Again, this can be interpreted as good news.

If Shazier had a complete spinal cord Injury, he would likely not be headed to intensive inpatient rehab. In other words, if there was no chance of progress, this step might be bypassed.

Of course, his being in the hospital and needing to rehabilitate is worrisome, as it indicates we do not have the best-case scenario of full recovery. Any neurologic recovery that does not come quickly – in the first 24-48 hours – often takes months of hard work to improve.

Shazier is on IR, as football is out of the question for 4-6 months as the result of his spine fusion surgery. And really, no one should be concerned about football right now, as the focus is first on a full recovery to a normal life.

I have been worried about Shazier’s neurological function for some time now, but we have refrained from providing that analysis out of respect to the player and the severity of the situation.

But the signs have been evident for a while that he has not regained full function in his legs.

Here are the cumulative reasons I have been worried since the injury.

1. As I said at the time, the hit prompted in me the most visceral reaction I have ever experienced in an injury involving a player I didn't know personally.

2. By video, Shazier did not have any movement in his lower extremities, and when he turned himself over with his upper body on the field, his legs and hips flopped from inertia and gravity, not purposeful movement.

3. There was initial speculation and circumstantial evidence that Shazier had no feeling in his lower body.

4. The need for spinal stabilization surgery indicated an unstable spinal column and the need to protect the spinal cord going forward, though sometimes this is done for someone 100 percent neurologically normal.

5. The lack of information on his neurological status is concerning, as good news usually comes easily where bad news comes slowly. Still, I continue to hope lack of information is due to the player/family request for privacy.

6. No question Shazier is loved by his teammates, but a broken back without neurologic compromise doesn't typically lead to 15 teammates wearing clears to honor him.

7. A video posted on Instagram showed Shazier in his hospital room with a strap across his chest while semi-sitting, which typically indicates some level of muscle weakness in his lower body. The strap is commonly used to avoid sliding down when in the recumbent chair.

8. In the video, there was no purposeful movement detected in Shazier’s lower body, even though that obviously was not the focus of his video. Usually when someone lifts and moves both arms to cheer there is some accompanied lower body slight movement.

9. Adam Schefter’s report last Sunday of progress coming but slowly portended continued neurological issues.

Even with the above fact pattern, I could previously talk (and hope) myself into reasons (although slim) that Shazier’s nerves were 100 percent. But add the inpatient rehab announcement, and it is highly unlikely his neurologic function is 100 percent today.

The hope is he still can get there with this rehab.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:34 pm 

I hope the steelers organization takes care of their own. Long term.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:39 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
From Dr. Chao

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-ryan-shazier-movement-legs-hospital-rehab-1215-story.html

By ProFootballDocContact Reporter
Sports Medical Analyst
There is possible bad news and possible good news to be gleaned from the reports Ryan Shazier remains in the hospital as he begins his rehabilitation phase.

Obviously, doctors believe there is hope for improvement, or there would be no need to move to rehabilitation.

However, the circumstance also indicates Shazier does not have full neurologic function.

The spinal stabilization surgery Shazier underwent last week after being injured making a tackle in a game on Dec. 4 requires rehabilitation and therapy, but that is usually done on an outpatient basis if there is no neurologic issue.

Shazier still being in the hospital as he begins the rehab process indicates the likelihood his neurologic recovery from lower body paralysis and/or a lack of feeling is not complete.

If the patient has full motor strength, he/she is usually discharged to home within a week if it is just recovery from spinal fusion surgery where there is no neurological deficit.

Shazier is still at the same medical center but likely has been transferred out of the acute care section to a hospital facility specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation for spinal cord injuries.

There are still a wide variety of possibilities here. Those range from inpatient rehab as a spare-no-expense approach to help Shazier through a minor neurological deficiency to a rehab regimen that will literally attempt to teach him how to walk again.

Again, this can be interpreted as good news.

If Shazier had a complete spinal cord Injury, he would likely not be headed to intensive inpatient rehab. In other words, if there was no chance of progress, this step might be bypassed.

Of course, his being in the hospital and needing to rehabilitate is worrisome, as it indicates we do not have the best-case scenario of full recovery. Any neurologic recovery that does not come quickly – in the first 24-48 hours – often takes months of hard work to improve.

Shazier is on IR, as football is out of the question for 4-6 months as the result of his spine fusion surgery. And really, no one should be concerned about football right now, as the focus is first on a full recovery to a normal life.

I have been worried about Shazier’s neurological function for some time now, but we have refrained from providing that analysis out of respect to the player and the severity of the situation.

But the signs have been evident for a while that he has not regained full function in his legs.

Here are the cumulative reasons I have been worried since the injury.

1. As I said at the time, the hit prompted in me the most visceral reaction I have ever experienced in an injury involving a player I didn't know personally.

2. By video, Shazier did not have any movement in his lower extremities, and when he turned himself over with his upper body on the field, his legs and hips flopped from inertia and gravity, not purposeful movement.

3. There was initial speculation and circumstantial evidence that Shazier had no feeling in his lower body.

4. The need for spinal stabilization surgery indicated an unstable spinal column and the need to protect the spinal cord going forward, though sometimes this is done for someone 100 percent neurologically normal.

5. The lack of information on his neurological status is concerning, as good news usually comes easily where bad news comes slowly. Still, I continue to hope lack of information is due to the player/family request for privacy.

6. No question Shazier is loved by his teammates, but a broken back without neurologic compromise doesn't typically lead to 15 teammates wearing clears to honor him.

7. A video posted on Instagram showed Shazier in his hospital room with a strap across his chest while semi-sitting, which typically indicates some level of muscle weakness in his lower body. The strap is commonly used to avoid sliding down when in the recumbent chair.

8. In the video, there was no purposeful movement detected in Shazier’s lower body, even though that obviously was not the focus of his video. Usually when someone lifts and moves both arms to cheer there is some accompanied lower body slight movement.

9. Adam Schefter’s report last Sunday of progress coming but slowly portended continued neurological issues.

Even with the above fact pattern, I could previously talk (and hope) myself into reasons (although slim) that Shazier’s nerves were 100 percent. But add the inpatient rehab announcement, and it is highly unlikely his neurologic function is 100 percent today.

The hope is he still can get there with this rehab.

Lately, I haven't commented on Ryan all the while hoping for the best. From my experience, I've bolded the most telling comments, which I agree with - at least by watching Ryan's video post.

My fingers are still crossed that Ryan's neurologic rehab turns out to be a 100%, best case scenario.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:39 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I hope the steelers organization takes care of their own. Long term.

That is one thing I trust the Steelers to do.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:42 pm 

I look at it this way.

If Shazier had completely regained lower body function, it would have been reported.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:45 pm 

Anyone else disgusted by the way Dr. Chao breaks down a fucking Instagram video of Ryan to speculate on his health?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:54 pm 

fortythree wrote:
Anyone else disgusted by the way Dr. Chao breaks down a fucking Instagram video of Ryan to speculate on his health?
I watched the clip maybe 5 times looking for signs of something. I noticed the strap, looked for a body cast, and was hyper attentive to the demeanor of those in the room as well as Shazier's.

So no.

People care, and want news. It's not like they didn't know it was going to be viewed under a microscope.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact he's not going to play football again and a long struggle to gain some degree of normalcy is in his future. Maybe I'm pessimistic, or just pragmatic/realistic. Or a little of both, but what I saw on that fateful night was not good. We all saw the same thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next