It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shazier updates
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:54 pm 

I think his career is over. He will walk away as his wife will make him see to his health for his families sake. The Steelers organization should do right by him by honoring his full contract and kick in some more to boot as he would have been a Steeler for many years to come. It's a shame as he was very talented. Had some growing to do but the athletic ability was there

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:16 pm 

R S wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
I selfishly hope he never plays again. I would be uneasy watching him out there.

aren't you also uneasy about watching big hits now too? Or am I mixing you up with someone else? It might be time to just stick with the PGA.

Yeah definitely not me. I’m all for big hits and hate the way refs instinctively throw flags anytime there is a big hit. I didn’t think the Shazier hit was anything unusual. I’m just personally would be nervous watching him play knowing that he’s already suffered what seems like a serious spinal injury. I’m not a doctor so maybe my fear would be misplaced but it would make me uneasy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:17 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Stillchest wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Happy he’s going to be OK, but man this is a massive blow to a defense that was clicking. Completely changes the look of that unit.

Absolutely. That defense goes from an A-B+ to C unit, imo.

Has a C unit defense ever won a SB?

Last year? NE was 16th, ATL was 26th.

Did either of those teams have offenses that struggle to score the way ours does?

This is shaping up to be this year’s excuse as the middle of the field will now having even bigger holes to exploit.

Might not be much the D can do about it this year. Maybe bump Watt inside and put Harrison in outside.

Best way to really counter this is to get the offense to crank out 30+. Short of that our season continues in name only as this D minus Shazier isn’t holding a team like NE to less than 20. Would have been a tall order with him.

Hoping the guy can lead a normal life....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:22 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Quote:
Sean Conboy‏
Verified ac

I almost never talk about my work at Thr Players’ Tribune on twitter, because twitter is bad, but I’m breaking that rule to tell a quick story about Ryan Shazier ...

Sean Conboy‏
Verified account

@seancon
2h

Ryan came into our office because he wanted to tell his story, about growing up with alopecia from the time he was 4 years old. He couldn’t ever remember having hair, and he couldn’t ever remember a time when people didn’t troll him for it.

But as he was telling me all these stories about kids making fun of him, he was doing it with a genuine smile of his face. Not like a fake smile. Not like “I’m a millionaire now” thing. He just seemed almost indifferent to the hate.

So I said, point blank, “man, I really admire your attitude, but honestly, I don’t get it. If someone says something mean to me on twitter, even now, it’ll make me genuinely upset. How could you ignore it, especially as a kid?”

And he said, “Football. Football, bro. I just ... I just love it. I knew I could go to the football field and nothing else mattered. People could say what they want, but out there, I was gonna be a beast, you know?”

The open secret of the nfl is that a lot nfl players don’t particularly enjoy playing in the nfl. It’s incredidbly brutal and demanding. But I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who loved playing football like Shazier.

He genuinely — and I mean genuinely — wanted to tell his story so that he could make things a little better for kids (and adults) who are embarrassed about having alopecia. When he left, I said to my colleague, “that guy is just special.”

A few weeks later, Dan Rooney passed away. We were putting together a tribute for him. I texted Shazier asking if he wanted to give one of his memories. He texted me back literally 30 seconds later. “Absolutely. When?”

Ryan Shazier is the ultimate Steeler, and one of the best guys in football. Keep him in your prayers.

All the more reason this sucks. Very difficult to not only replace the athlete but also replace the athlete with true passion for his craft...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:43 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
R S wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
I selfishly hope he never plays again. I would be uneasy watching him out there.

aren't you also uneasy about watching big hits now too? Or am I mixing you up with someone else? It might be time to just stick with the PGA.
Oh for fucks sake. Agenda much?

Dude has a history of stingers and the last injury was numbness in his arm. Could have been the same injury, only not as severe. Detailed reports suggest that once you've suffered an injury like this the chances of it happening again are high. And it might actually do irreparable damage.

I personally loved the JuJu hit. Clean. That's football.

But everybody is just soft when they show concern for a player, right?

i was responding because someone in another thread said they can't bare to watch big hits anymore. I thought it was Art.

Do you know what a stinger is? It has absolutely nothing to do with this injury, other than the fact that they can both be caused by poor technique, which Shazier can have at times.

People that moan around about not being able to watch hits anymore because what head injuries can do to someone latter in life confuse the hell out of me. Were you so damn naive to think that bashing your head into another man until you're 35 years old is healthy for longevity in life. Did you watch boxing 15 years ago (before the CTE publicity) and think those guys won't suffer repercussions later in life? I guess I should never underestimate the naivety of people and sports. Football is the same. Actually, its not, it was MUCH worse 20 years ago in terms of brutality that it is now.

Like everyone, I hope he recovers fully. I'll cheer him whether he plays again or doesn't.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:43 pm 

Art Vandelay wrote:
R S wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

Yeah definitely not me. I’m all for big hits and hate the way refs instinctively throw flags anytime there is a big hit. I didn’t think the Shazier hit was anything unusual. I’m just personally would be nervous watching him play knowing that he’s already suffered what seems like a serious spinal injury. I’m not a doctor so maybe my fear would be misplaced but it would make me uneasy.

My mistake Art.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:02 pm 

Glad he is going to be all right. As far as the team, he was never going to be a player that can be counted on because of injuries. Probably better to have to find his replacement than deal with him in and out of the lineup.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 pm 

alhill wrote:
He's made a solid chunk of money. Assuming he walks away from this (no pun intended), he should move on with his life. Played his ass off here and will always be loved, but go raise kids and grow old.

He made an OK chunk of money -- he was on the cusp of getting paid an extremely large chunk of money very soon, as his first contract was winding down this year.

What terrible timing, money wise. He was up for a very very large pay day --

That's gone now, but clearly not the most important issue.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 pm 

RemoAZ wrote:
Glad he is going to be all right. As far as the team, he was never going to be a player that can be counted on because of injuries. Probably better to have to find his replacement than deal with him in and out of the lineup.

:shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:20 pm 

RemoAZ wrote:

This is one of the more ridiculous posts I've read in some time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next