It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: QB Thought Regarding 2018
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:16 am 

SP wrote:
Ben is not going anywhere. He’ll play out his contract, 2 more seasons, at least. If he did retire, you get Kirk Cousins.

I agree.....UNLESS the Steelers win it all this year.

Then I'll bet Ben will want to go out on top....and he will.

Guarantee you the wife is in his ear to quit so he can spend quality time going forward with his little kids.

If we win it and Ben ends up being MVP? HE'S DONE.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:22 am 

KC wrote:
SP wrote:
Ben is not going anywhere. He’ll play out his contract, 2 more seasons, at least. If he did retire, you get Kirk Cousins.

I agree.....UNLESS the Steelers win it all this year.

Then I'll bet Ben will want to go out on top....and he will.

Guarantee you the wife is in his ear to quit so he can spend quality time going forward with his little kids.

If we win it and Ben ends up being MVP? HE'S DONE.

See I think if he wins it all, that's what brings him back for another SB run. Hes goal has always been to surpass Bradshaws 4 SBs. If on the other hand, say we have another afccg thrashing at the hands of the pats and its due in large part to another we do what we do tomlin/haley gameplan, then ya, he walks.

Cousins would be the best get tho. Not sure id see it happening but id welcome it, he aint Ben but hes pretty damn good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:37 am 

Regardless of what happens this year, financially Ben is almost guaranteed to be back next year.

Otherwise, in addition to giving up $12M in salary...he could potentially have to give back $18M in unearned SB. He's got the money, but not nearly enough for writing an $18M check not to hurt REAL bad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:53 pm 

Ben was a fan of Elway growing up. He saw Elway finish with two super bowl wins. I don't know that Ben wouldn't want to do the same if he won the SB this year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:28 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
Ben was a fan of Elway growing up. He saw Elway finish with two super bowl wins. I don't know that Ben wouldn't want to do the same if he won the SB this year.

This I would absolutely Love to See. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:51 pm 

Also, Ben has always stated that he doesn't care about stats, records, but come on!!!

It has to be in the back of his mind that there are some that might feel he is not HOF worthy because of the off the field issues of his youth, whether they happened or not. And there are some that have always tried to say that he can't compare statistically to the top QBs.

And yet he just passed Warren Moon for 8th place all time in passing yards, he now has 49,411 yards. He will easily become just the 8th NFL QB to pass for 50,000 yards within the next 2-3 games.

But if he retires after the season he will have fallen short of one of his heroes John Elway who sits at 51,475.

If Ben can finish out his contract he will push his career stats into the stratosphere where voters can't even attempt to use that as an argument for not voting for him. He would most likely end up in the top 5 for most of the major categories.

So, yeah, I would love to see Ben play out his contract, but still think it would be prudent to take a QB where they can, be it through the draft or free agency.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:01 pm 

jebrick wrote:
StillerDownSouth wrote:
Just draft Baker Mayfield...the mobile Drew Brees...and enjoy the show.

Mayfield will be a top 5 pick. I still like Nick Fitzgerald from Miss St. in either the 1st or 2nd.

Fitzgerald with a serious and ugly leg injury vs Ole Miss.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:01 pm 

ive listened to more Ben interviews than I can remember, here are his stated on the record goals.

1. He is on the record as saying he wants more SBs than TB. Gonna be tough to complete
this one but if he wins a SB this season, I say its a virtual certainty that he comes back for 1 more
run to at least equal TBs 4.

2. He wanted his high school jersey retired and it was.
He wanted his college jersey retired and it was.
He wants his Steelers jersey retired and id say that's a lock.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:14 pm 

Ben has also stated multiple times his desire to be the best QBs from the 2004 class. I can’t see him quitting while those two are still out there compiling stats. V

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:37 pm 

I believe Ben will finish out his contract. He has about 25 million reasons to do so. After 2018 though it’s anyones guess.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next