It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert suspended 4 games for PEDs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:01 pm 

Stillchest wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Sorry...in this day and age, there’s no way a player “inadvertently” uses a substance on the banned list.

That’s just face-saving for Gilbert.

So let’s hope his improvement over the past couple of years hasn’t been the result of PED-enhancement.

Hmmm?! Do you suspect his improvement as a player, to be a result of taking PED's?

I was inclined to think Gilbert took the PED's more recently, to enhance the healing time of his hammy.

One can hope.

And on the basis of that WSJ article, maybe I was premature with my assessment.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:10 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
Pittsburgh will receive salary cap relief for the four games Gilbert is set to miss. Also, As Gilbert’s suspension is PED-related, the Steelers must, by rule, also recover a portion of his prorated bonus for the four the games he will miss.
In total, Gilbert looks set to lose as much as $1,707,882 for inadvertently taking a substance on the banned list. A very expensive mistake fans can only hope is a warning to everyone else on the team to be more careful in the future.
http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/1 ... uspension/
Very expensive mistake indeed. Damn what an inadvertent dumb ass!

I'm all for making and enforcing the rules as a necessity in this league full of entitled, spoiled brats...
I also realize we don't get to peek into all of the intimate details of each case...

...however...

If this is a case of Gilbert not reading the label of the cough medicine that he took a couple of tsp of for the sniffles, then this is an incredibly fucked up NFL policy...

Hell, even the strictest criminal judges show leniency for honest-but-stupid mistakes, especially first offenses, but why not the NFL?!
Why is the suspension just automatic with this league?
Why can't they consider each case independently, and show leniency when it's certainly merited?!

To me, something doesn't smell right, here...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:49 pm 

Steeledge wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
Pittsburgh will receive salary cap relief for the four games Gilbert is set to miss. Also, As Gilbert’s suspension is PED-related, the Steelers must, by rule, also recover a portion of his prorated bonus for the four the games he will miss.
In total, Gilbert looks set to lose as much as $1,707,882 for inadvertently taking a substance on the banned list. A very expensive mistake fans can only hope is a warning to everyone else on the team to be more careful in the future.
http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/1 ... uspension/
Very expensive mistake indeed. Damn what an inadvertent dumb ass!

I'm all for making and enforcing the rules as a necessity in this league full of entitled, spoiled brats...
I also realize we don't get to peek into all of the intimate details of each case...

...however...

If this is a case of Gilbert not reading the label of the cough medicine that he took a couple of tsp of for the sniffles, then this is an incredibly fucked up NFL policy...

Hell, even the strictest criminal judges show leniency for honest-but-stupid mistakes, especially first offenses, but why not the NFL?!
Why is the suspension just automatic with this league?
Why can't they consider each case independently, and show leniency when it's certainly merited?!

To me, something doesn't smell right, here...

Probably because the only thing NFL fans like doing more than watching actual games is digging for "evidence" that the NFL "hates" their team and favors all the other teams over theirs.

So when the NFL suspends one guy on Team X for a PED violation, then let's another play on Team Y off the hook because they claim it was accidental, the conspiracy machine gets revved up and we have to deal with a week's worth of articles/talk shows bitching up how inconsistent the NFL is in their policies.

As we've learned from the league's handling of the various domestic abuse cases over the years, the NFL is not good at handling things on a subjective basis, and the fans are even worse at attempting to form a perception of those same subjective rulings.

The drug policy is one of the few areas the NFL actually does handle somewhat consistently, and subsequently, probably has the least amount of controversy around it when compared to their other disciplinary policies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:13 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Stillchest wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Sorry...in this day and age, there’s no way a player “inadvertently” uses a substance on the banned list.

That’s just face-saving for Gilbert.

So let’s hope his improvement over the past couple of years hasn’t been the result of PED-enhancement.

Hmmm?! Do you suspect his improvement as a player, to be a result of taking PED's?

I was inclined to think Gilbert took the PED's more recently, to enhance the healing time of his hammy.

One can hope.

And on the basis of that WSJ article, maybe I was premature with my assessment.

I don't think so
I agree with your first assessment and do not believe the punishment would be so harsh if he could provide eveidence it was inadvertent .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:34 am 

Quote:
For Gilbert, this could amount to as much as $766,706 he would have to repay the Steelers. Thanks to a back-to-back contract restructure in 2015 and 2016, the offensive tackle had a prorated signing bonus charge worth $3,258,500 for this season.

In total, Gilbert looks set to lose as much as $1,707,882 for inadvertently taking a substance on the banned list. A very expensive mistake fans can only hope is a warning to everyone else on the team to be more careful in the future

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/21/salary-cap-implications-for-steelers-from-marcus-gilbert-suspension/

I wish every Steelers can take a look at what is coming out of Gilberts pocket and do a little math with their own contract and what they would lose for 4 games or more.

On the other hand the Steelers picked up $766k for any late season pick up. You never know who may get released around the NFL. Teams going south a little early for the winter may want to part ways with some players to move forward and onto 2018.

Or, the $766k can carry over to the 2018 team cap.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:45 am 

Wasn't Gilbert grumbling about a new contract or extension in the off-season or camp?

He is under contract for 2 more years.
His restructuring in 2015 and 2016 put some nice cash in his pocket. Giving back some now.
$ 4.0 base in 2018
$ 4.86 in 2019
UFA in 2020.

Pretty affordable.
Dont see his long term replacement on roster.
Dont need to think about that for a year or two.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6