It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 3rd down O
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 6191
Found these stats to be a bit remarkable:

3. THIRD AND ... THROW?
A fact regarding the Steelers' struggling red-zone (31st in the NFL) and goal-to-go offense: In third-and-goal situations this season, regardless of the line of scrimmage, they have passed every time.

In third-and-2 situations regardless of location, the Steelers have thrown 92.9 percent of the time this season — more than on any third down of fewer than 10 yards except third-and-5.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/129 ... ake-to-air


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3rd down O
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Posts: 3187
These stats are meaningless without context and without being compared to the rest of the league.

I would assume that a vast majority of the time that the rest of the league passes on 3rd and 2 or greater. Especially any team with a competent QB. And it seems like we've had a lot of long third and goal situations, whether it be due to penalties or early down runs that get a yard or two or go backwards. I don't think this team will be an improved red zone unit by running more on 3rd and goal to go from the 8 or the 6.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3rd down O
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 6191
TB wrote:
These stats are meaningless without context and without being compared to the rest of the league.

I would assume that a vast majority of the time that the rest of the league passes on 3rd and 2 or greater. Especially any team with a competent QB. And it seems like we've had a lot of long third and goal situations, whether it be due to penalties or early down runs that get a yard or two or go backwards. I don't think this team will be an improved red zone unit by running more on 3rd and goal to go from the 8 or the 6.


Rest of the league, OK...but what other context are you looking for.

There's a difference between majority, vast majority and 93%. That just seems like a VERY high percentage.

Obviously, no one supports running on 3rd & goal from 6 or 8...wasn't suggested or implied.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3rd down O
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 5847
How often do they run vs throw on 1st and goal?

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3rd down O
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Posts: 3187
swissvale72 wrote:
TB wrote:
These stats are meaningless without context and without being compared to the rest of the league.

I would assume that a vast majority of the time that the rest of the league passes on 3rd and 2 or greater. Especially any team with a competent QB. And it seems like we've had a lot of long third and goal situations, whether it be due to penalties or early down runs that get a yard or two or go backwards. I don't think this team will be an improved red zone unit by running more on 3rd and goal to go from the 8 or the 6.


Rest of the league, OK...but what other context are you looking for.

There's a difference between majority, vast majority and 93%. That just seems like a VERY high percentage.

Obviously, no one supports running on 3rd & goal from 6 or 8...wasn't suggested or implied.


Just looked it up: the Patriots have had 10 times they've had a 3rd and 2 this year. They've passed on 9 of them. 90%. The only time they ran it was their first drive of the season against KC. Every time since then, they've thrown it.

The Saints? Have had 9 times they've had a 3rd and 2, only ran it twice. And guess what, they didn't pick up the first down on either run.

Just looked up the Lions. 10 times outside of victory formation they've had 3rd and 2. Ran it once, didn't get it. Went to pass 9 times. 90%. The horror.

Like I said, it's meaningless stat, and also disingenuous. The vast, vast majority of the time teams are passing on 3rd and 2, unless you've got some mediocre running QB. Shitty, click-bait work from Adamski.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3rd down O
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 6191
TB wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
TB wrote:
These stats are meaningless without context and without being compared to the rest of the league.

I would assume that a vast majority of the time that the rest of the league passes on 3rd and 2 or greater. Especially any team with a competent QB. And it seems like we've had a lot of long third and goal situations, whether it be due to penalties or early down runs that get a yard or two or go backwards. I don't think this team will be an improved red zone unit by running more on 3rd and goal to go from the 8 or the 6.


Rest of the league, OK...but what other context are you looking for.

There's a difference between majority, vast majority and 93%. That just seems like a VERY high percentage.

Obviously, no one supports running on 3rd & goal from 6 or 8...wasn't suggested or implied.


Just looked it up: the Patriots have had 10 times they've had a 3rd and 2 this year. They've passed on 9 of them. 90%. The only time they ran it was their first drive of the season against KC. Every time since then, they've thrown it.

The Saints? Have had 9 times they've had a 3rd and 2, only ran it twice. And guess what, they didn't pick up the first down on either run.

Just looked up the Lions. 10 times outside of victory formation they've had 3rd and 2. Ran it once, didn't get it. Went to pass 9 times. 90%. The horror.

Like I said, it's meaningless stat, and also disingenuous. The vast, vast majority of the time teams are passing on 3rd and 2, unless you've got some mediocre running QB. Shitty, click-bait work from Adamski.


Did Adamski come to any conclusions? Didn't think so...was just stating some facts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3rd down O
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Posts: 3187
LOL just admit that you were wrong. You're acting like the Steelers passing a vast majority of the time on 3rd and 2 is something unusual. You even stated as much. And you're dead wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3rd down O
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 6191
TB wrote:
LOL just admit that you were wrong. You're acting like the Steelers passing a vast majority of the time on 3rd and 2 is something unusual. You even stated as much. And you're dead wrong.


Seems like you're hungry for a win, TB. I wasn't trying to make a federal case, merely stating that it the percentage of passes on 3rd & 2 seemed very high.

Congrats....you've a self-professed expert analyst by examining three teams....two of whom pass the ball 90% of the time in the same spot, the other 77%. Guess that proves your case, eh?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3rd down O
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Posts: 3187
The best part is you backing off acting like Adamski wasn't making any conclusions with his article, when you yourself took the conclusion he was ultimately trying to make: that the Steelers pass an exorbitant amount of time on 3rd and 2. With no context to what the rest of the league is doing. What will be his amazing stat next week, that the Steelers punt almost 100% of the time on 4th and long? :lol:

Sorry swiss, you were wrong. This is the NFL in 2017 and everyone passes in those situations a vast majority of the time. And guess what? The Steelers have been extremely successful on 3rd and 2 passing. Two TDs, only three incompletions in 12 passing attempts, no turnovers. A third and 2 pass to Eli Rogers helped win us the Colts game just last week. A 3rd and 2 pass won us that hugely important Chiefs game.

It's a dumb stat that leads to disingenuous, incorrect conclusions, just like the one you got from it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 3rd down O
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 6191
TB wrote:
The best part is you backing off acting like Adamski wasn't making any conclusions with his article, when you yourself took the conclusion he was ultimately trying to make: that the Steelers pass an exorbitant amount of time on 3rd and 2. With no context to what the rest of the league is doing. What will be his amazing stat next week, that the Steelers punt almost 100% of the time on 4th and long? :lol:

Sorry swiss, you were wrong. This is the NFL in 2017 and everyone passes in those situations a vast majority of the time. And guess what? The Steelers have been extremely successful on 3rd and 2 passing. Two TDs, only three incompletions in 12 passing attempts, no turnovers. A third and 2 pass to Eli Rogers helped win us the Colts game just last week. A 3rd and 2 pass won us that hugely important Chiefs game.

It's a dumb stat that leads to disingenuous, incorrect conclusions, just like the one you got from it.


Sorry TB....you're reaching disingenuous, incorrect conclusions about my intent.

Seemed like a high number, high percentage. You've cited three other teams, two with similar percentage, one a fair amount less.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill....but please, keep digging.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], JackSplat58, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group