It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vince Williams
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:33 pm 

Guy is having a hell of a season. Leads all off-ball nfl players in sacks with 6 and is always always around the ball. Got robbed last week of a forced fumble and recovery as well. He is looking very Kirklandesque or Kendrell Bellish this season. Great decision to let Timmons walk and go with Vinny. Props to Tomlin for those moves.

Post subject: Re: Vince Williams
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:42 pm 

I won't venture into Kirkland comparisons. He's definitely surpassed Larry Foote.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:44 pm 

Pabst wrote:
I won't venture into Kirkland comparisons. He's definitely surpassed Larry Foote.

ok perhaps hyperbole but Vinny is having a hell of a season so far especially for a predominantly 2 down player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:49 pm 

Agreed

Loved Timmons and was worried about drop off in play

VW has played awesome

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:50 pm 

Pabst wrote:

I can't decide whether that's damning with faint praise or not. I ran pretty hot and cold on Larry (plus he was from *ichigan, which means by hot I mean lukewarm at best).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:00 pm 

Ice wrote:
Pabst wrote:

I can't decide whether that's damning with faint praise or not. I ran pretty hot and cold on Larry (plus he was from *ichigan, which means by hot I mean lukewarm at best).

It was more of a tongue in cheek comment, didn't really mean much. Foote was a solid role player for a number of years. Smart player, filled his role nicely, not too expensive. Williams offers that, plus the ability to hit a few splash plays. I have no complaints about the man.

Also, this:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:29 pm 

I have been pleasantly surprised by Vince Williams play but the Steelers have been very smart with how they chose to move on from Timmons.

For example, Timmons was a guy who even last season was dropping into coverage and expected to cover athletic TEs deep down the field. Timmons was also on the field for 90% of the snaps. Typically he never really left the field, would play 98-99% of the snaps in a typical year.

This year, the Steelers have instead used Shazier in coverage which he is doing very, very well and not putting Williams in positions to be taken advantage of like in coverage, etc.

Williams has seen only 73% of the snaps this year. He is not really doing the things that they expected of Timmons and that is okay, it is smart football. Timmons was really something, how he was able to play all of those snaps each year and never miss time was really extraordinary.

So, yeah Williams is doing well this year with less snaps but if he had to play the typical 1,000 defensive snaps that Timmons did, and had the coverage responsibilities that Timmons had it might be a different story. At the end of the day, it is all about putting your players in positions to succeed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:32 pm 

Scunge wrote:
I have been pleasantly surprised by Vince Williams play but the Steelers have been very smart with how they chose to move on from Timmons.

For example, Timmons was a guy who even last season was dropping into coverage and expected to cover athletic TEs deep down the field. Timmons was also on the field for 90% of the snaps. Typically he never really left the field, would play 98-99% of the snaps in a typical year.

This year, the Steelers have instead used Shazier in coverage which he is doing very, very well and not putting Williams in positions to be taken advantage of like in coverage, etc.

Williams has seen only 73% of the snaps this year. He is not really doing the things that they expected of Timmons and that is okay, it is smart football. Timmons was really something, how he was able to play all of those snaps each year and never miss time was really extraordinary.

So, yeah Williams is doing well this year with less snaps but if he had to play the typical 1,000 defensive snaps that Timmons did, and had the coverage responsibilities that Timmons had it might be a different story. At the end of the day, it is all about putting your players in positions to succeed.

agreed and I give Tomlin/Butler props for doing so but it also makes you scratch your head on why we Tomlin doesn't demand more no huddle which as we all know Ben excels at.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:51 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Ice wrote:
Pabst wrote:

It was more of a tongue in cheek comment, didn't really mean much. Foote was a solid role player for a number of years. Smart player, filled his role nicely, not too expensive. Williams offers that, plus the ability to hit a few splash plays. I have no complaints about the man.

Also, this:

I like when he threatened to PAINT Burfict last year, in Miami.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:31 pm 

Scunge wrote:

Good point

But that's where you have to make the right personnel decision and allocate dollars elsewhere. Timmons would've been nice to have back, sure but not at that price tag. I think every down LBers have become devalued as this becomes a passing league and it becomes more specialized. Good on Tomlin/Butler to recognize this trend and move on from Timmons