It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sky Cam comments and potpourri
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:19 pm 

Yeah. It wasn't that big a deal for me deciphering distance or yardage gained. Look at the hash marks and numbers.

All 22 costs money. It's a desirable thing. Maybe not for live action, but it gives the average viewer insight that hasn't been seen unless you pay for it or look for film online. The NFL is leaking this out to create more interest. And as someone mentioned, it emulates madden, which is how many viewers are introduced to football. It's keeping them in the loop.

I personally liked it, but not for every play. Especially when you can't see all players, but jesus fucking christ. The middle of the field was empty all night.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:21 pm 

Probably moot whether you like it or not. Why is that in under five years, I bet you'll own a TV that will enable you to choose the angle you want to see the game from and the sounds you want to hear or emphasize.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:21 pm 

I suspect the NFL will soon have a viewing option of only the skycam view so nerds can have that on their laptop at the same time as the regular game feed. And the NFL will be able to charge the networks more!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:52 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Probably moot whether you like it or not. Why is that in under five years, I bet you'll own a TV that will enable you to choose the angle you want to see the game from and the sounds you want to hear or emphasize.

from your lips to Jobu's ear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:53 pm 

oh, and, last I checked, both fox and SNF online sites offer your choice of camera views when streaming the game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:54 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Yeah. It wasn't that big a deal for me deciphering distance or yardage gained. Look at the hash marks and numbers.

All 22 costs money. It's a desirable thing. Maybe not for live action, but it gives the average viewer insight that hasn't been seen unless you pay for it or look for film online. The NFL is leaking this out to create more interest. And as someone mentioned, it emulates madden, which is how many viewers are introduced to football. It's keeping them in the loop.

I personally liked it, but not for every play. Especially when you can't see all players, but jesus fucking christ. The middle of the field was empty all night.

My view of it as well. Kinda liked it here and there, but don't think I would for every play during an entire game. Loved seeing the perspective from QB view - gives you a real appreciation for what the player do or don't do.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:04 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Going forward....let's remember.

Four out of Patriots next five are on the road, play Steelers as final game of three-game road string, directly following their Monday nighter in Miami. Schedule maker couldn't have been more kind to Steelers. Hopefully, they take advantage.

I really hope we clinch the #1 seed before that NE game tho, because the only thing seemingly more insurmountable than beating NE in a game of consequence(the#1 seed) would be beating them in 2 meaningful games (#1 seed and in the playoffs) in the same season...aint happening..so lets clinch the 1 seed before the RS meeting and keep our cards close to the vest for that game, and ambush them in the playoffs at Heinz field.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:11 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

from your lips to Jobu's ear

They already do this with the NHL package here, pretty sure for tvs but for your laptop or computer I know you can select your preferred camera angle.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:12 pm 

VeritasSteel wrote:
I liked it. But it shouldn't be the default view. That's too much of an ask for the old die-hard fan. Using it on a clear passing down (3rd and 6 or longer)makes sense because you can actually see the play from the QBs view and see how tight those throwing windows are.

IMO if NBC is aiming at the Madden viewer and the film junkie they should do a separate feed that uses it exclusively but gives the fan the pre-snap read of the defense showing the type of coverage and hot zones in real time. "Next leveling" the first down marker overlay, if you will. Of course, defenses would show zone or man and hop into something else after the snap- but it could show a fan how the defenses try to fool a QB. Something like this

Right now it feels like they are forcing it on the public and if the XFL can be cited as an example- people got nauseous and couldn't watch the broadcasts.

Yeah, overlays would be nice, but it's hard to do that real-time.

Honestly, all the crapping on "young people who only know this view from playing Madden" is frustrating. THESE are the people that the NFL's trying to get interested in watching the games.

Should this be a primary angle? Not really.
Should this be like the SAP (second audio program) or watching the 'homer' broadcast of a game? Definitely.

Again, as bandwidth gets cheaper, they should offer and you should be able to see sporting events from multiple angles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:20 pm 

and 1 other thing that's been mentioned before when we last wore them, and is worth mentioning again...Absolutely SICK uniforms...make those permanent please and thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:20 pm 

R S wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
I loved it. Made me nervous as shit watching it!

The eliciting of emotion is the keystone of entertainment

Probably made Nick79 happy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:52 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
and 1 other thing that's been mentioned before when we last wore them, and is worth mentioning again...Absolutely SICK uniforms...make those permanent please and thanks!

I liked 'me, too. I'm not for permanent though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:18 pm 

Texas Steel wrote:
Yeah, overlays would be nice, but it's hard to do that real-time.

Honestly, all the crapping on "young people who only know this view from playing Madden" is frustrating. THESE are the people that the NFL's trying to get interested in watching the games.

Should this be a primary angle? Not really.
Should this be like the SAP (second audio program) or watching the 'homer' broadcast of a game? Definitely.

Again, as bandwidth gets cheaper, they should offer and you should be able to see sporting events from multiple angles.

Overlays are not an issue- (first down marker and now the down and distance on the field have been there for years. NBCSN.com has had multiple angles since its SNF debut.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:24 pm 

I say screw the sky cam. I prefer the traditional camera angles. Don't mind sky cam on the replays, but give me the normal sideline view for the live game.

If I want to watch the all 22, I'll do that on my own time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:30 pm 

seabs926 wrote:
My main complaint about the camera angle is that you can't see the players split out wide. I'd like for them to go to it on obvious passing downs, with a bit wider view. There's limitations just like any other camera angle, it'll just take some getting used to.

plus 1....it is like they need to go fish eye for a bit or back the camera down the field, or zoom out. Not sure why they can't get the whole 22 going more effectively. It is like they think the average American still has the 13' color TV as a staple.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:39 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:

Four out of Patriots next five are on the road, play Steelers as final game of three-game road string, directly following their Monday nighter in Miami. Schedule maker couldn't have been more kind to Steelers. Hopefully, they take advantage.

No, this weeks game is a neutral site

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:39 pm 

My feelings ...

I can stick a camera up the hole to get a great look at an ass, but that isn't really how I want to see one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:41 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

I really hope we clinch the #1 seed before that NE game tho, because the only thing seemingly more insurmountable than beating NE in a game of consequence(the#1 seed) would be beating them in 2 meaningful games (#1 seed and in the playoffs) in the same season...aint happening..so lets clinch the 1 seed before the RS meeting and keep our cards close to the vest for that game, and ambush them in the playoffs at Heinz field.

Not sure how this is even possible Greek?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:55 pm 

Steel Reign wrote:
My feelings ...

I can stick a camera up the hole to get a great look at an ass, but that isn't really how I want to see one.

LOL. RIP Chris Farley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:57 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

Not sure how this is even possible Greek?

It's possible if Steelers go into that game, for example, 11-2, New England is at 10-3 and Steelers win. And that's assuming that KC loses again, and Jax loses twice.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:01 pm 

R S wrote:
Sky cam comments? Loved it personally. They mixed it in well with the normal angle. I don't play video games and frankly people who talk about "Madden" often, annoy me. But it was a a great perspective of making the reads and seeing through the QB's eyes. Going forward I hope they keep mixing this is in.

Ross Tucker this morning on NFL radio said the Steelers have the most talented team in the NFL. He stated there are about 5 guys on the Pats that could/would start on the Steelers. I respect the hell out of Ross Tucker. Princeton educated former NFLer, PA boy. He knows his shit.

I've been saying this for awhile now. Colbert has amassed A LOT of talent on the roster. What more can the guy do? Time to fucking win.

It was okay. I'm turning into an old bastard resistant to change, but think it could grow on me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:33 pm 

I complained in the game thread about not being able to judge the distances of plays gained. What I didn't mention is that I also had a hard time telling where on the field teams were. At one point we were Madden-viewing our way through a Titans position, and they cut to the side view, and I saw that the Tits were at our 20 yard line. I had no idea they were that far into our territory.

But it was interesting to see the receivers run their routes and the DB's covering. One play Ben fired a pass to JuJu, and he looked covered to me, but Ben put it outside enough that he was able to make the catch. It was interesting to see Ben throw to a "covered" receiver but see the receiver make the catch from that viewpoint.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:44 pm 

Sky cam was awful, I'd flat out not watch the games other than the Steelers if it continued.

Distance was hard to gauge and it seemed weird as hell. I play Madden and still hated the camera angles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:47 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
How many targets did Eli Rogers get?

Who???

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:27 am 

If Steelers play like that I don’t care if they duct tape a go pro to a pigeons ass