It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reports of Ben's demise are greatly exaggerated
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:56 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Ben hadn't been nearly as bad as many people here have been saying. PIT has a very different, rather unrealistic standard for QB.

He missed more throws than normal the first half of the year. Receivers also left more plays than normal on the field. Combine that with the shitfest in JAX (in which 3 or 4 picks were pretty unlucky) and you basically get the numbers he and the team have had. There's been a ton of near misses on bombs or I'm not sure we ever really have this conversation. If Martavis finishes removing his head from his ass this conversation will basically be over.

All I know is, when the offense uses the whole field, the passing game is on an entirely different level. In that offense, Ben looks elite. Running the vaunted Haley U-attack, Ben looks kind of like a scrub.

I'd also agree the entire offense seemed to view those first 3 games as an extended pre-season. Less reps in camp (and during the week) clearly didn't help the timing in the passing game.

The only standard I compare Ben to is his own, and he clearly (to me) hasn't been at that standard for the past year and a half. That doesn't mean I think he's been completely terrible during that stretch, just closer to average than what his own standard had been during his career.

That said, this game, particularly the second half, was a great step towards getting back to that standard and am absolutely excited at the possibility of him returning to that form. Most accurate I've seen him in a long time.

If I could pick one play that still worried me a little about his mentality, it'd be the one where he escaped from a tackle, then rolled right and was in the clear with absolutely no one around him and....he grounded it about 5 yards in front of a receiver by the sideline almost immediately after breaking the tackle and didn't have the pocket presence to realize he had a ton more time. Old Ben would have never gotten rid of that ball and quite possibly made a big play downfield and I still feel like he's swayed too far into the Tom Brady "Self Preservation" zone that handcuffs a lot of what has tradition made Ben great.

It's one play, and one play is never proof of anything, but there were certainly others where I felt he kind of pulled up a little quicker than he used to. But again, he was much better even in that regard than he has been, and I'm hoping he keeps on that trend.

(Also, you should spend some time on other team's boards. We're definitely not the only fanbase with unrealistic expectations for the QB position).

That's not what happened on that play. Ben escaped the sack attempt, only to end up with the same guy reaching for him-- he had to throw it away.

I'd need to see a replay, then. Looked to me like no one was around him. I could be wrong, though. Either way, like I said, it was something I saw multiple times throughout the game, but not nearly as often as the first half of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:09 pm 

Hey man, at this point of his career, I'm all for Ben's self preservation. Live to fight another day. This goes in the category of good decision.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:21 pm 

I'm more worried about Bell's demise.

yards per rush (3.8) and yards per catch (6.3) are near career lows and don't look the numbers of an elite back.

from a purely subjective standpoint he seems to be getting tackled by the first defender far too often, particularly in the open field.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:16 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:

yards per rush (3.8) and yards per catch (6.3) are near career lows and don't look the numbers of an elite back.

from a purely subjective standpoint he seems to be getting tackled by the first defender far too often, particularly in the open field.

Watch Bell's productivity go up as we use him more as a complement to the passing game, vs pounding him mindlessly into the stack.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:20 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

Watch Bell's productivity go up as we use him more as a complement to the passing game, vs pounding him mindlessly into the stack.

Would love to see him break a tackle post catch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:27 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

Would love to see him break a tackle post catch.

Well, you can't have everything. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:39 am 

Another phenomenal game tonight. I know he had two picks, but one was tipped. Two picks that normally hit the turf.

He missed, literally, about 3 throws tonight. One of the best games of his career. And Bryant is starting to heat up....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:40 am 

Gray matter. Lots of it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:41 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Another phenomenal game tonight. I know he had two picks, but one was tipped. Two picks that normally hit the turf.

He missed, literally, about 3 throws tonight. One of the best games of his career. And Bryant is starting to heat up....

Get JuJu back and this could be nice...

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:45 am 

Kodiak wrote:

He had 17 seconds to get us into FG range from our 30.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next