It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How will the Steelers Beat NE?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:20 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
I am tired of the fear NE BS too, but the truth hurts. They have a monkey on their back and a mental block. The season doesn’t mean squat until they make it past their nemesis. The Steelers know, everyone on this board knows it, Steeler fandom knows it.

If they don’t beat them in regular season, what’s the point.

Dress rehearsal. Hopefully, by that time the only thing at stake is home field and seeing how the Pats play this offense would be valuable in the playoffs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:00 pm 

VeritasSteel wrote:
Dress rehearsal.

It really is.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:07 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
Last thing I want to hear is we did not have time to incorporate more man defense with injuries to Hayden and Mitchell now.

They had the first half of the season to be working it in. Or were they too concerned not wanting to show man defense vs inferior opponents lesser quarterbacks. Etc. Etc.exce
and they'll just turn on the Man coverage switch when they need it

Mitchell is a liability when playing man coverage, so him being out would actually help things.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:16 pm 

The recipe to beat Brady is known, but doesn't suit our defense well. Lots of pressure up the middle to force him to move. Tight coverage on their midget receivers to interrupt their timing. Man up on Gronk and cover over the top with a safety to take away his routes down the middle. Use ball control on offense to keep the prick Brady off the field. Short passing game over the middle to our slot receivers, and lots of YAK. Don't screw up special teams. And most of all, keep "give up a big play Willie Gay" off the field.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:15 pm 

I don't think Brady i the biggest problem we face in this game. It's special teams. Their special teams won them a game this week-- when's the last time our specials won us a game? I think the Steelers simply have to catch the ball and not get over-enamored with the run-- hell, they could have hung with NE last year, with worse defensive talent than we have now and with 3rd and 4th string WRs on the field if they'd just catch the ball and have a TE whose instinct is to lower his shoulder into DBs near the goal line.

The pieces are in place, but I worry we'll have an advantage in O vs D but lose on STs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:30 pm 

I hope to hell the steelers aren't reading this thread.

They have the Titans and Dickie to deal with in short order.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I hope to hell the steelers aren't reading this thread.

They have the Titans and Dickie to deal with in short order.

They aren't reading it

Carry on

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:54 pm 

I'm sure the braintrust has been scheming together a plan since the playoff loss last year. Gradually implementing the personnel and strategy to get it right. Studying film, painfully and thoroughly analyzing a postmortem from last year. Determining the right approach, not only to start the game, but under multiple in-game scenarios. And testing this approach to vet out its effectiveness against anticipated opponent personnel.

Just kidding. Zone all the way, and hope the players make plays :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:57 pm 

the-other-burg wrote:
I'm sure the braintrust has been scheming together a plan since the playoff loss last year. Gradually implementing the personnel and strategy to get it right. Studying film, painfully and thoroughly analyzing a postmortem from last year. Determining the right approach, not only to start the game, but under multiple in-game scenarios. And testing this approach to vet out its effectiveness against anticipated opponent personnel.

We do what we do....

TOUCHDOWN HOGAN!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:06 pm 

We beat the Patriots the same way anyone ever does. Collapse the middle of the pocket. Put Brady on the ground early and often (even if it’s borderline late and you have to take a flag). Get him whining.

On offense, use the whole offense, the whole field, and the whole 60 minutes. Don’t try to sit on a lead. Don’t try to milk the clock. Don’t try to run downhill. Don’t do what you always do.

If you do all that. You MIGHT beat the Patriots. Or, Gronk might score three touchdowns. Alien might drop a TD pass in the end zone. A lacross player you never heard of might be open all day long. Because two things…

1. They cheat
2. Their coaching staff could spot our coaching staff 20 IQ points apiece, and it would still be an even battle of wits.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:19 pm 

the-other-burg wrote:

This type of statement always reminds me of the Dude asking about promising leads.

https://youtu.be/GvT_VOJaXvs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:24 pm 
Heres how.....

I think across the board we have better players...

I think we are gonna beat them by double digits

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:31 pm 

SteelerChef wrote:
Heres how.....

Pot legalization coming to NJ

Is it already up and running in PA?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:44 pm 

One Step at a time.
Even at 7-2, we need to stay focused on the next game. That's the Titans. The Patriots don't even exist this week, only the Titans.

The Steelers need to get their Offense in Gear. Until we score 30 in a game, our Offense will be dubbed the Anemic Turtles. And we shouldn't take the Defense for granted either, with Joe Haden out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:48 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
One Step at a time.
Even at 7-2, we need to stay focused on the next game. That's the Titans. The Patriots don't even exist this week, only the Titans.

The Steelers need to get their Offense in Gear. Until we score 30 in a game, our Offense will be dubbed the Anemic Turtles. And we shouldn't take the Defense for granted either, with Joe Haden out.

FUCK, I'm on StubHub securing tickets for SB. Too presumptuous?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:50 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
Until we score 30 in a game, our Offense will be dubbed the Anemic Turtles.

:lol: I'm so glad that is catching on.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:55 pm 

How many times do you have to get hit over the head with the same hammer before you realize the results aren't going to change? The way the Steelers beat the Pats is to hope somebody does it for them in the playoffs. Get the 2 seed and hope KC gets the 4 and beats the Pats for you. I'll never ever again pick the Steelers to beat the Pats while Brady/Belichick are around. It's pointless.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:57 pm 

SP wrote:
How many times do you have to get hit over the head with the same hammer before you realize the results aren't going to change? The way the Steelers beat the Pats is to hope somebody does it for them in the playoffs. Get the 2 seed and hope KC gets the 4 and beats the Pats for you. I'll never ever again pick the Steelers to beat the Pats while Brady/Belichick are around. It's pointless.

^

This.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:02 pm 

I've said this a number of times before, but here goes....

In the days leading up to the AFCCG last year, I was concerned. I thought about the teams that have beaten the Patriots in the playoffs, and I decided they all had one thing in common: nasty pass rushers that kicked Brady's ass anytime he went back to pass. The Giants in two super bowls, the Broncos the other AFCCG, the Ravens once, the Jets once, they all had that. Hell, Houston had it last year. Heading into last year's AFCCG, I knew we didn't. And so, I longed for the Steelers to improve their pass rush over the offseason.

Things can be different for us this year vs. the Pats because now we have the makings of a dominant pass rush. We still have Tuitt, Heyward is back, Hargrave is improved and a handful himself. Watt is an animal. With all of that going on, Dupree can contribute. Throw in a side of Deebo off the bench and timely blitzes from Shaz, Williams, and the occasional DB, we just might have the pass rush prowess now to beat Brady's ass. In addition, we've improved the back end of the defense, so I expect coverage to be better vs. the Pats, and who knows, we might even play man against them.

On offense, score 7's instead of 3's. Run well, pass well. My fondest wish is for the Steelers to be the ones to fool Belichick for a change. Do something like he did to the Ravens. Find some quasi-legal formation and use it. Something he could not possibly have prepared for, and I don't mean some stupid trick play.

Anyway, we have the pieces on O and D to take a shot at the Pats this year. Get physical with these guys, lay a beating on them on both sides of the ball.

I'm saying there's a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:37 pm 

The best way to beat the Pats is to keep Brady off the field.

Even if we found a way to do this it would be nearly impossible to win with an offense that’s at the bottom of the league in red zone scoring.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:00 pm 

Quixotic wrote:
On offense, use the whole offense, the whole field, and the whole 60 minutes. Don’t try to sit on a lead. Don’t try to milk the clock. Don’t try to run downhill. Don’t do what you always do.

This can’t be stressed enough. If you get a lead, stay on them. Look to increase the lead...attack, attack, attack. CAN NOT TURTLE. Leave the door open and those fucks will kick it in.
Slay the dragon!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:35 pm 

StillerInCT wrote:
They'll win because I'll be there 8-)

Actually quite the opposite....I was in Foxborough for the Anthony Smith game. I was at Heinz for the game Gronk scored 3 TDs against us.

We're fucked.

Develop schizophrenia and go as someone else.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:48 pm 

SteelerChef wrote:
Heres how.....

Avatar bet on Steelers beating the Patsies by double digits. Steelers do it, you can pick my avatar for 5 years. They don't, I pick yours for five years. You game?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:24 am 

Stosh-67 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
How will the Steelers beat NE? With Haden hurt I am worried we will go into a turtle shell zone defense again. I was expecting full on mano e mano in the defensive backfield. Now I am afraid that Butler will elect not to use man because of personnel issues.

It is Super Bowl or bust and defeating NE in the regular season is a must, otherwise it is up to Lady Luck!

Don’t give me the jinx posts in this thread because none of the other games mean squat unless we thoroughly dismantle NE in the regular season.

If I was head coach for that game I would just set out to end Brady’s career via all out blitz’s on essentially every down until he was out. He is the only thing and person standing in our way. Blitz and blitz and blitz. If we lose 50 to nothing who cares, just take out Brady within the rules of the game. Smash him with borderline lane hits, hold in the secondary to allow coverage sacks and keep nailing him until his Achilles or rotator cuff are gone. Who will be the bucket of water to melt the witch?

Thoughts on how to exorcise this demon?

Had a lot of coffee this morning and I know very little about football. If you combine those powers, you get:

Maybe Haley, Ben and the offense should score some fucking points. Tired of hearing about our god damned defense.
Understandably everyone lost their mind bc of the defense we trotted out in the AFCCG.
But, per usual recently, the offense shit the bed and could not respond.
I'm not as worried about the defense. It has worts. But it is much improved.

Our offense, however, terrifies me. We're what, 9 weeks into the season? Look it this:
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

Offense is 19th in average points per game (20.8). Fucking Baltimore is 18th.

Have the Steelers faced some tough defenses? Yes, But Baltimore is playing the same teams. And their skill level on paper is, shall we say, not what the Steelers have.

Ben and Haley are not getting it done. Ben is the QB. He has to execute and make the plays. Haley is coordinator. He has to call better plays. They both have mud on their faces.

We'll beat NE by having the defense not shit the bed and by having the offense, for once in recent memory, actually show up when it matters, and play a complete game.

It's been a clown show of under performance since last year.

I don't want to hear about defense.

EDIT – more ranting:

People keep saying, just you wait until Ben retires and Tomlin has to win with average to good QB play instead of other-worldly Hall of Fame play and does not have Ben to do Ben magic plays to bail his ass out all the time. People: we're living in that era right now. Ben is not having an elite season. He is not having a great season. His play is trending upwards, but no way in hell is he a top 10 player right now. And the team is...7-2. But yeah, Tomlin is a moron in everything he does.

Loved seeing Ben avoid the sack, climb up the pocket and throw a dart to AB to seal the game (i.e., bail Tomlin's ass out). Loved it especially because we NEVER SEE IT anymore. We're already in the post Ben era as we have known it.

Hope I'm wrong. Would love for Ben to make me eat my words and to get shit from everyone for months. Would LOVE that. Avatar bet, whatever. What we've seen from Ben this year is exactly what we're going to continue to get: average play punctuated by rare moments of brilliance.

Cue the illusionists that will look at points per drive as the real indication of how this offense is really not as bad as it has been.
Although I have not seen that argument lately.
This offense, with the three headed brain trust of Tomlin, Haley and Ben has been awful this year. They need to stop playing like a bottom tier offense and start resembling an offense that should be putting up at least 28-30 per game. It does not start on game days. It starts with a mentality, a game plan, at practice with a tempo and sense of urgency. Pissing away drives does not infuriate this this team as "its a long game and we will have to work our way into the flow of the game" is status quo. We are cool, we got this, lets ease in here and win it in the 4th will not bring home #7. No reason this offense can not play with the mentality of first to 40 wins.

Quote:
I am not worried about offense; Haley and Ben will have their A game, Bell too. It all comes down to defense.

No. I expect the defense to play better vs New England. But an offense has to take advantage of a turnover on downs, a NE punt and put points on the board. We can not expect to win a defensive game vs NE. Still don't have that Von Miller or Houston that's gonna be creating havoc every other or every third passing down. Forcing NE to punt on 5 or 6 out of 11 or 12 possessions in a game will be a win. Putting 17-21 points on the board after those 5 or 6 punts is a must.

The NE offense right now has a law degree, passed the bar and has been arguing and winning cases at the supreme court. They are taking advantage of all the loop holes of the law and get away with picks and rubs, rarely called on them. They know all the judges and are getting the little ticky tacky holding calls that extend drives. They do not get flagged for offensive pass interference. And no one hits or knocks down a judge (TB) without hearing from a fellow judge himself asking for a ruling in his favor. Stopping the NE offense will not be easy without the PS being at their best on both sides of the ball.

The Steelers offense can not get out of the community college, criminal justice 101 class, 10 weeks into the season, staring at the deadline on dropping the class. It needs to wake up on Thursday night and then against the Packers, Ravens and Bengals. It needs to find a rhythm, a faster pace, no huddle, start putting points on the board. It needs to stop thinking that "18-21 points should be fine and should win games because the defense is playing well". Indictment on the mentality of the OC and HC. Fireable comment. It needs to start incorporating all the new plays we heard Ben talk about in training camp, now. And not look stupid when we pull them out for the first time when we need to execute it and not false start, illegal motion or illegal procedure. This HC, OC and QB are not smart enough to take this offense and turn on a switch when we need to.

You can not expect to shut down NE.

Hence, it has to be the Steelers offense that keeps the NE offense off the field.

Hadn't paid much attention to this OP, went back re-read, and no surprise, the best analysis is by my friend, Stosh. That said, I've echoed Perch's thoughts as well, that being that the best way to win the AFCCG is to avoid playing New England in the playoffs, hope someone else beats them. I've been on record saying that Mike Tomlin will never beat Bill Belichick in a game of consequence.

Anyway, in simple terms, Steelers would need to:
*Put heat on Brady...not sit back, with 8 guys in coverage, none within 10 yards of Brady's eventual target.
*Treasure every fuckin' offensive possession....last year's AFCCG, first possession, 3rd & 1, deep pass to Sammie Coates, through his hands. Need a yard? Get two. Need three yards? Get four. Move the sticks, keep possession, and yes, score TDs when in the Red Zone.

Despite my previous comments about Tomlin v. Belichick, I know if it comes down to the Steelers v. Pats in the AFFCG, regardless of location, I'll be like Charlie Brown with that little bitch Lucy holding for his kick. I'll be believing that this time the Steelers will prevail, prepared to put my house on the market, move the fuck outta town rather than go to work, embarrassed to face all those Patriot mother-fuckers with whom I work.

So....comes down to it, I'll be believing....my heart will win out over my head. But...you will NEVER hear me saying that I want to face the Patriots in the playoffs, that somehow going to the SB without beating them is somehow diminished. Let the Chefs go into Foxboro, beat those bastards again, then let us beat The Fat Fuck Andy Reid for the AFC Championship, and I will be a VERY happy man.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:51 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Yup- I think the defense can take care of business vs NE, but the offense will continue to shit the bed in the Red Zone

What has changed besides stats that makes you feel like the defense will take care of business? I felt good until Haden injury. Thought we could employ man, but with him out I see us looking very similar to AFCCG. Dunk and dunk...and Brady picks us apart with little league lobs and frozen ropes.

Our pass rush is MILES better than last year. Last year Butler had to use smoke and mirrors to get sacks...now we've got 3 good DL who can rush and push the pocket

Butler is still rushing 5 a lot with DB’s blitzes. I don’t think that is going to beat NE.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next