It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: How will the Steelers Beat NE?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:24 am 

How will the Steelers beat NE? With Haden hurt I am worried we will go into a turtle shell zone defense again. I was expecting full on mano e mano in the defensive backfield. Now I am afraid that Butler will elect not to use man because of personnel issues.

It is Super Bowl or bust and defeating NE in the regular season is a must, otherwise it is up to Lady Luck!

Don’t give me the jinx posts in this thread because none of the other games mean squat unless we thoroughly dismantle NE in the regular season.

If I was head coach for that game I would just set out to end Brady’s career via all out blitz’s on essentially every down until he was out. He is the only thing and person standing in our way. Blitz and blitz and blitz. If we lose 50 to nothing who cares, just take out Brady within the rules of the game. Smash him with borderline lane hits, hold in the secondary to allow coverage sacks and keep nailing him until his Achilles or rotator cuff are gone. Who will be the bucket of water to melt the witch?

Thoughts on how to exorcise this demon?

Post subject: Re: How will the Steelers Beat NE?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:15 am 

Sorry, but I think that first NE game is going to be the beginning of a letdown going into the playoffs. I will explain.

What if the Steelers win their next 4 games? That would put them at 11-2. They would have the division won, the Ravens have no shot of catching up. This season is shaping up be very dangerous because they are going to win the division so damn early.

So, division won with 3 games remaining. They then play NE at home, at Houston and then home against the Browns. I can see them starting to rest people for the playoffs, going conservative and actually losing 2 of those 3 games ending up 12-4.

Maybe that is good enough for the #2 seed and a bye for the playoffs. Maybe not. Winning the division so early and then letting up before the playoffs is dangerous because it could set up a one and done scenario like the Cowboys found themselves in last season.

Yes, I wish they would put the peddle to the floor and just win out and get that #1 seed but what have we seen from the coaching that leads anyone to believe that will happen? They had a bye week and then came out and couldn't execute a simple 2 point play, calling a timeout and a delay of game on back to back plays. WTF?

In terms of beating Brady, I take James Harrison out of his packaging and tell him to just play past the whistle and beat the shit out of Brady until the refs throw him out of the game. I don't know why teams play nice with Brady. Smack him in the mouth enough times and he will get rattled.

Last edited by Scunge on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 am 

They won't! They probably wouldn't even if Haden were healthy. Our lack of quality coaching makes this a nightmare match up every game. They will exploit our weakness till we break apart and flame out, all the while our offence operates completely underwhelming. Haley could create a good game plan against an elementary flag football team, let alone Belicheat. We can barely get past the doldrums of the league, so getting by a well-oiled machine would be monumental. Actually, I hope they lose this game to the Cheats and win in the playoff against them, as I doubt this team could win once, let alone twice in one season. Just my thoughts though. Sorry for such negativity, but until Haley is gone at least, it will be difficult for this team to get to the big dance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:17 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
How will the Steelers beat NE? With Haden hurt I am worried we will go into a turtle shell zone defense again. I was expecting full on mano e mano in the defensive backfield. Now I am afraid that Butler will elect not to use man because of personnel issues.

It is Super Bowl or bust and defeating NE in the regular season is a must, otherwise it is up to Lady Luck!

Don’t give me the jinx posts in this thread because none of the other games mean squat unless we thoroughly dismantle NE in the regular season.

If I was head coach for that game I would just set out to end Brady’s career via all out blitz’s on essentially every down until he was out. He is the only thing and person standing in our way. Blitz and blitz and blitz. If we lose 50 to nothing who cares, just take out Brady within the rules of the game. Smash him with borderline lane hits, hold in the secondary to allow coverage sacks and keep nailing him until his Achilles or rotator cuff are gone. Who will be the bucket of water to melt the witch?

Had a lot of coffee this morning and I know very little about football. If you combine those powers, you get:

Maybe Haley, Ben and the offense should score some fucking points. Tired of hearing about our god damned defense.
Understandably everyone lost their mind bc of the defense we trotted out in the AFCCG.
But, per usual recently, the offense shit the bed and could not respond.
I'm not as worried about the defense. It has worts. But it is much improved.

Our offense, however, terrifies me. We're what, 9 weeks into the season? Look it this:
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

Offense is 19th in average points per game (20.8). Fucking Baltimore is 18th.

Have the Steelers faced some tough defenses? Yes, But Baltimore is playing the same teams. And their skill level on paper is, shall we say, not what the Steelers have.

Ben and Haley are not getting it done. Ben is the QB. He has to execute and make the plays. Haley is coordinator. He has to call better plays. They both have mud on their faces.

We'll beat NE by having the defense not shit the bed and by having the offense, for once in recent memory, actually show up when it matters, and play a complete game.

It's been a clown show of under performance since last year.

I don't want to hear about defense.

EDIT – more ranting:

People keep saying, just you wait until Ben retires and Tomlin has to win with average to good QB play instead of other-worldly Hall of Fame play and does not have Ben to do Ben magic plays to bail his ass out all the time. People: we're living in that era right now. Ben is not having an elite season. He is not having a great season. His play is trending upwards, but no way in hell is he a top 10 player right now. And the team is...7-2. But yeah, Tomlin is a moron in everything he does.

Loved seeing Ben avoid the sack, climb up the pocket and throw a dart to AB to seal the game (i.e., bail Tomlin's ass out). Loved it especially because we NEVER SEE IT anymore. We're already in the post Ben era as we have known it.

Hope I'm wrong. Would love for Ben to make me eat my words and to get shit from everyone for months. Would LOVE that. Avatar bet, whatever. What we've seen from Ben this year is exactly what we're going to continue to get: average play punctuated by rare moments of brilliance.

Last edited by Still Lit on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:32 am 

I am not worried about offense; Haley and Ben will have their A game, Bell too. It all comes down to defense.

I really believe you have to sell out....I like the poetic scenario described above with Harrison demolishing Brady and removing the curse, and both fading away into Canton on their final curtain call. Nothing cheap or cheating, just through the whistle, a couple of friendwiches, with Brady as the meat.

This is all psychological and you absolutely have to play the regular season as the biggest game of the season! Anything less and you are not playing to win a Super Bowl. Sure there are scenarios where you don’t have to play them, but Baltimore looks not to be a factor and you should want to beat the best.

Trailblaze and see what happens! Worst case you lose and start all over again for the playoffs. Best case you win, take out Brady and get #1 seed and an autobahn to Minneapolis.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:33 am 

Play a full 60 minutes of well executed play making scoring drives. Scoring 7's instead of stalling and punting or kicking field goals. Defense needs to take the ball away and put marsha under a lot of pressure. Game winning formula IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:36 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
I am not worried about offense; Haley and Ben will have their A game, Bell too.

This is the problem with hope: it springs eternal. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:38 am 

They'll win because I'll be there 8-)

Actually quite the opposite....I was in Foxborough for the Anthony Smith game. I was at Heinz for the game Gronk scored 3 TDs against us.

We're fucked.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:10 am 

Still Lit wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

Had a lot of coffee this morning and I know very little about football. If you combine those powers, you get:

Maybe Haley, Ben and the offense should score some fucking points. Tired of hearing about our god damned defense.
Understandably everyone lost their mind bc of the defense we trotted out in the AFCCG.
But, per usual recently, the offense shit the bed and could not respond.
I'm not as worried about the defense. It has worts. But it is much improved.

Our offense, however, terrifies me. We're what, 9 weeks into the season? Look it this:
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

Offense is 19th in average points per game (20.8). Fucking Baltimore is 18th.

Have the Steelers faced some tough defenses? Yes, But Baltimore is playing the same teams. And their skill level on paper is, shall we say, not what the Steelers have.

Ben and Haley are not getting it done. Ben is the QB. He has to execute and make the plays. Haley is coordinator. He has to call better plays. They both have mud on their faces.

We'll beat NE by having the defense not shit the bed and by having the offense, for once in recent memory, actually show up when it matters, and play a complete game.

It's been a clown show of under performance since last year.

I don't want to hear about defense.

EDIT – more ranting:

People keep saying, just you wait until Ben retires and Tomlin has to win with average to good QB play instead of other-worldly Hall of Fame play and does not have Ben to do Ben magic plays to bail his ass out all the time. People: we're living in that era right now. Ben is not having an elite season. He is not having a great season. His play is trending upwards, but no way in hell is he a top 10 player right now. And the team is...7-2. But yeah, Tomlin is a moron in everything he does.

Loved seeing Ben avoid the sack, climb up the pocket and throw a dart to AB to seal the game (i.e., bail Tomlin's ass out). Loved it especially because we NEVER SEE IT anymore. We're already in the post Ben era as we have known it.

Hope I'm wrong. Would love for Ben to make me eat my words and to get shit from everyone for months. Would LOVE that. Avatar bet, whatever. What we've seen from Ben this year is exactly what we're going to continue to get: average play punctuated by rare moments of brilliance.

Cue the illusionists that will look at points per drive as the real indication of how this offense is really not as bad as it has been.
Although I have not seen that argument lately.
This offense, with the three headed brain trust of Tomlin, Haley and Ben has been awful this year. They need to stop playing like a bottom tier offense and start resembling an offense that should be putting up at least 28-30 per game. It does not start on game days. It starts with a mentality, a game plan, at practice with a tempo and sense of urgency. Pissing away drives does not infuriate this this team as "its a long game and we will have to work our way into the flow of the game" is status quo. We are cool, we got this, lets ease in here and win it in the 4th will not bring home #7. No reason this offense can not play with the mentality of first to 40 wins.

Quote:
I am not worried about offense; Haley and Ben will have their A game, Bell too. It all comes down to defense.

No. I expect the defense to play better vs New England. But an offense has to take advantage of a turnover on downs, a NE punt and put points on the board. We can not expect to win a defensive game vs NE. Still don't have that Von Miller or Houston that's gonna be creating havoc every other or every third passing down. Forcing NE to punt on 5 or 6 out of 11 or 12 possessions in a game will be a win. Putting 17-21 points on the board after those 5 or 6 punts is a must.

The NE offense right now has a law degree, passed the bar and has been arguing and winning cases at the supreme court. They are taking advantage of all the loop holes of the law and get away with picks and rubs, rarely called on them. They know all the judges and are getting the little ticky tacky holding calls that extend drives. They do not get flagged for offensive pass interference. And no one hits or knocks down a judge (TB) without hearing from a fellow judge himself asking for a ruling in his favor. Stopping the NE offense will not be easy without the PS being at their best on both sides of the ball.

The Steelers offense can not get out of the community college, criminal justice 101 class, 10 weeks into the season, staring at the deadline on dropping the class. It needs to wake up on Thursday night and then against the Packers, Ravens and Bengals. It needs to find a rhythm, a faster pace, no huddle, start putting points on the board. It needs to stop thinking that "18-21 points should be fine and should win games because the defense is playing well". Indictment on the mentality of the OC and HC. Fireable comment. It needs to start incorporating all the new plays we heard Ben talk about in training camp, now. And not look stupid when we pull them out for the first time when we need to execute it and not false start, illegal motion or illegal procedure. This HC, OC and QB are not smart enough to take this offense and turn on a switch when we need to.

You can not expect to shut down NE.

Hence, it has to be the Steelers offense that keeps the NE offense off the field.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:38 am 

Quote:
="Stosh-67"Cue the illusionists that will look at points per drive as the real indication of how this offense is really not as bad as it has been.

We are 16th in Pts/Dr Stosh (not updated yet with this past weekend). I didn't post that in another thread to try to say the offense is better than it appears. This was supposed to be a vaunted offense. It's not. Still hoping that will change though.

Overall, the offense has been mediocre but not good. Often a shit show with some moments and stretches of brilliance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next