It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How will the Steelers Beat NE?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:18 pm 

Quote:
If we lose to the Pats rs I'm not throwing in the towel and that includes the possibility of having to go to foxborough

I agree HVAOC.

Hoping by the time the playoffs roll around that Sutton has 6 games under his belt.
Hoping that Allen gets some defensive snaps over the same time.
And that Haden gets back on the field and plays like he did the first half.

Hilton and potentially Sutton / Allen defending the short middle of the field is what could be key in disrupting the quick Brady passing game.

Be nice if we can match up 6'-3" Allen vs. Gronk.

But.
But. They can not fear putting these kids on the field the next 4 games..... the rest of the season.
Especially vs. The offenses and QBs we will see last 7 weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:21 pm 

Last thing I want to hear is we did not have time to incorporate more man defense with injuries to Hayden and Mitchell now.

They had the first half of the season to be working it in. Or were they too concerned not wanting to show man defense vs inferior opponents lesser quarterbacks. Etc. Etc.exce
and they'll just turn on the Man coverage switch when they need it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:26 pm 
VeritasSteel wrote:
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Next up the Titans.

NE is not our opponent.

One game at a time. Do your job. Whatever it takes.

This. I am tired of this NE fear BS on this board. We are 7-2 basically leading our division by 3 games and that allows us to do what? Live in our Patriot fears? Yeah, I'll pass.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:01 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
VeritasSteel wrote:
I am tired of this NE fear BS on this board. We are 7-2 basically leading our division by 3 games and that allows us to do what? Live in our Patriot fears? Yeah, I'll pass.

Hey, we're tired of the Steelers losing to the Pats BS on the field.

Indeed, the Steelers have an excellent record.

But how is that translating into a win for the Steelers this week? I get it as fans we can live in the future and the past, but who cares what the Patriots are doing right now? That defense is held together by chewing gum and off-brand duct tape.

Do you want to beat the Pats? Go back and watch the Chiefs game, the Panthers game, and the Texans game. Force them to use all those spare parts they are using on defense to stop an offense that is hitting them from both sides of the field passing and gashing them running up the middle. Pressure Brady into those short passes against tight man and tackle surely, force them to become a long ball outside the hashes team. Don't make stupid mistakes turning the ball over or on special teams to give them the game. Teams that have beat the Pats have followed that formula going back to the Giants, Ravens, and up until this year the Broncos. Not rocket science, but can the Steelers do that is the question. I believe the FO has made the moves to implement that gameplan. If they can get Haden back and keep Bell off the basketball court I like our chances.

Let's not make them more than who they are. Titans are up next let's not overlook a really good team that has a running game that could give us trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:02 pm 

I am tired of the fear NE BS too, but the truth hurts. They have a monkey on their back and a mental block. The season doesn’t mean squat until they make it past their nemesis. The Steelers know, everyone on this board knows it, Steeler fandom knows it.

If they don’t beat them in regular season, what’s the point.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:20 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
I am tired of the fear NE BS too, but the truth hurts. They have a monkey on their back and a mental block. The season doesn’t mean squat until they make it past their nemesis. The Steelers know, everyone on this board knows it, Steeler fandom knows it.

If they don’t beat them in regular season, what’s the point.

Dress rehearsal. Hopefully, by that time the only thing at stake is home field and seeing how the Pats play this offense would be valuable in the playoffs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:00 pm 

VeritasSteel wrote:
Dress rehearsal.

It really is.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:07 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
Last thing I want to hear is we did not have time to incorporate more man defense with injuries to Hayden and Mitchell now.

They had the first half of the season to be working it in. Or were they too concerned not wanting to show man defense vs inferior opponents lesser quarterbacks. Etc. Etc.exce
and they'll just turn on the Man coverage switch when they need it

Mitchell is a liability when playing man coverage, so him being out would actually help things.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:16 pm 

The recipe to beat Brady is known, but doesn't suit our defense well. Lots of pressure up the middle to force him to move. Tight coverage on their midget receivers to interrupt their timing. Man up on Gronk and cover over the top with a safety to take away his routes down the middle. Use ball control on offense to keep the prick Brady off the field. Short passing game over the middle to our slot receivers, and lots of YAK. Don't screw up special teams. And most of all, keep "give up a big play Willie Gay" off the field.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:15 pm 

I don't think Brady i the biggest problem we face in this game. It's special teams. Their special teams won them a game this week-- when's the last time our specials won us a game? I think the Steelers simply have to catch the ball and not get over-enamored with the run-- hell, they could have hung with NE last year, with worse defensive talent than we have now and with 3rd and 4th string WRs on the field if they'd just catch the ball and have a TE whose instinct is to lower his shoulder into DBs near the goal line.

The pieces are in place, but I worry we'll have an advantage in O vs D but lose on STs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:30 pm 

I hope to hell the steelers aren't reading this thread.

They have the Titans and Dickie to deal with in short order.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I hope to hell the steelers aren't reading this thread.

They have the Titans and Dickie to deal with in short order.

They aren't reading it

Carry on

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:54 pm 

I'm sure the braintrust has been scheming together a plan since the playoff loss last year. Gradually implementing the personnel and strategy to get it right. Studying film, painfully and thoroughly analyzing a postmortem from last year. Determining the right approach, not only to start the game, but under multiple in-game scenarios. And testing this approach to vet out its effectiveness against anticipated opponent personnel.

Just kidding. Zone all the way, and hope the players make plays :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:57 pm 

the-other-burg wrote:
I'm sure the braintrust has been scheming together a plan since the playoff loss last year. Gradually implementing the personnel and strategy to get it right. Studying film, painfully and thoroughly analyzing a postmortem from last year. Determining the right approach, not only to start the game, but under multiple in-game scenarios. And testing this approach to vet out its effectiveness against anticipated opponent personnel.

We do what we do....

TOUCHDOWN HOGAN!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:06 pm 

We beat the Patriots the same way anyone ever does. Collapse the middle of the pocket. Put Brady on the ground early and often (even if it’s borderline late and you have to take a flag). Get him whining.

On offense, use the whole offense, the whole field, and the whole 60 minutes. Don’t try to sit on a lead. Don’t try to milk the clock. Don’t try to run downhill. Don’t do what you always do.

If you do all that. You MIGHT beat the Patriots. Or, Gronk might score three touchdowns. Alien might drop a TD pass in the end zone. A lacross player you never heard of might be open all day long. Because two things…

1. They cheat
2. Their coaching staff could spot our coaching staff 20 IQ points apiece, and it would still be an even battle of wits.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:19 pm 

the-other-burg wrote:

This type of statement always reminds me of the Dude asking about promising leads.

https://youtu.be/GvT_VOJaXvs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:24 pm 
Heres how.....

I think across the board we have better players...

I think we are gonna beat them by double digits

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:31 pm 

SteelerChef wrote:
Heres how.....

I think across the board we have better players...

I think we are gonna beat them by double digits

Pot legalization coming to NJ

Is it already up and running in PA?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:44 pm 

One Step at a time.
Even at 7-2, we need to stay focused on the next game. That's the Titans. The Patriots don't even exist this week, only the Titans.

The Steelers need to get their Offense in Gear. Until we score 30 in a game, our Offense will be dubbed the Anemic Turtles. And we shouldn't take the Defense for granted either, with Joe Haden out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:48 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
One Step at a time.
Even at 7-2, we need to stay focused on the next game. That's the Titans. The Patriots don't even exist this week, only the Titans.

The Steelers need to get their Offense in Gear. Until we score 30 in a game, our Offense will be dubbed the Anemic Turtles. And we shouldn't take the Defense for granted either, with Joe Haden out.

FUCK, I'm on StubHub securing tickets for SB. Too presumptuous?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:50 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
Until we score 30 in a game, our Offense will be dubbed the Anemic Turtles.

:lol: I'm so glad that is catching on.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:55 pm 

How many times do you have to get hit over the head with the same hammer before you realize the results aren't going to change? The way the Steelers beat the Pats is to hope somebody does it for them in the playoffs. Get the 2 seed and hope KC gets the 4 and beats the Pats for you. I'll never ever again pick the Steelers to beat the Pats while Brady/Belichick are around. It's pointless.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:57 pm 

SP wrote:
How many times do you have to get hit over the head with the same hammer before you realize the results aren't going to change? The way the Steelers beat the Pats is to hope somebody does it for them in the playoffs. Get the 2 seed and hope KC gets the 4 and beats the Pats for you. I'll never ever again pick the Steelers to beat the Pats while Brady/Belichick are around. It's pointless.

^

This.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:02 pm 

I've said this a number of times before, but here goes....

In the days leading up to the AFCCG last year, I was concerned. I thought about the teams that have beaten the Patriots in the playoffs, and I decided they all had one thing in common: nasty pass rushers that kicked Brady's ass anytime he went back to pass. The Giants in two super bowls, the Broncos the other AFCCG, the Ravens once, the Jets once, they all had that. Hell, Houston had it last year. Heading into last year's AFCCG, I knew we didn't. And so, I longed for the Steelers to improve their pass rush over the offseason.

Things can be different for us this year vs. the Pats because now we have the makings of a dominant pass rush. We still have Tuitt, Heyward is back, Hargrave is improved and a handful himself. Watt is an animal. With all of that going on, Dupree can contribute. Throw in a side of Deebo off the bench and timely blitzes from Shaz, Williams, and the occasional DB, we just might have the pass rush prowess now to beat Brady's ass. In addition, we've improved the back end of the defense, so I expect coverage to be better vs. the Pats, and who knows, we might even play man against them.

On offense, score 7's instead of 3's. Run well, pass well. My fondest wish is for the Steelers to be the ones to fool Belichick for a change. Do something like he did to the Ravens. Find some quasi-legal formation and use it. Something he could not possibly have prepared for, and I don't mean some stupid trick play.

Anyway, we have the pieces on O and D to take a shot at the Pats this year. Get physical with these guys, lay a beating on them on both sides of the ball.

I'm saying there's a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:37 pm 

The best way to beat the Pats is to keep Brady off the field.

Even if we found a way to do this it would be nearly impossible to win with an offense that’s at the bottom of the league in red zone scoring.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next