It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin Monday Presser
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:13 pm 
Small Al totally whiffed on several snaps. Didnt even touch the defender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:42 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
Who's laughing now Oline?

I know I'm not. They played below the line. Maybe Tomlin didn't inspire them?

Or maybe they just aren't as good as advertised?

Hey, how aboutt that Shazpussy guy with that super athletic INT?

I hope he works out...despite his small frame and propensity for injury.

If he hadn't missed 6 tackles in the 1st half, he wouldn't have needed the ridiculous INT.

Thankfully no one else misses tackles on the team

Amazing thing is this...as bad a tackler as he is being made out to be......

It's crazy he leads the team in tackles....isn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:08 am 

TB wrote:
Anyone bitching about the o-line clearly hasn't watched much NFL outside of Steelers games this year.

I don't think Pouncey hasn't given up a sack since 2015. :lol: DeCastro will probably be a first ballot All Pro this year, definitely second team, and hasn't given up a sack all year. Gilbert is probably our best overall lineman, and Hubbard played damn well for a backup. Ramon Foster didn't allow a single sack in 2016, I'm not convinced he's 100% at this point, but rarely ever gives up a sack or penalty, and Finney is a great backup. The only guy who has really had ups and downs so far is Villanueva, but even then I'd describe his play as at least average.

Football Outsiders has the Steelers are the best pass protecting line in the NFL. #1. Go watch Russell Wilson play, or the two teams playing tonight, Arizona, Cincinnati, what Houston is trotting out now, if you want to see what actual bad pass protection looks like. It's like a different form of football. Our passing offense has the luxury of a great o-line.

I 100% agree-- which is why I find our refusal to use the intermediate passing game so frustrating. It seems like we squander a lot of good pass protection on designed dumpoffs to a RB or short crosser or throw it early and deep on the sidelines. The playcalls are what you might use if you had protection problems-- like they don't go together.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:45 am 

Quote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
This doesn’t mean I think Mark Madden is good at anything, but this morning his article references the fact that prior to Sunday, Steelers were 7-14 in their last 21 when they were favored on the road.

I know we all argue on here about whether Tomlin & Co. is bad against bad teams on the road, or if that concept is bullshit, but how can you argue with 7-14 in the last 21 when favored on the road?

And the talk about this being a “trap game”; where is that coming from? I don’t think Tomlin is getting the boys together after practice and talking about Indy being a “trap game”, but I think it is an indication of how undisciplined and full of themselves this team is. They aren’t focused on the task at hand, buy into the media too much, etc. That is 100 percent on coaching.

It's the heavy favoring that's he problem as much as anything. I'm as guilty as anyone-- teams are just too close to ignore the potential of little details making huge difference in game.

I repeat: We are 14-7 in our last 21 as road favorites. NOT 7-14.

Not sure where you’re getting 14-7. Found an article that includes a table that lists the losses up through last year. Sorry, I can’t embed the table...link below. 12 losses are listed. Add Chicago this year and you have at least 13 losses.

http://www.steelcityunderground.com/wp- ... record.png

Tomlin continually fails at getting his teams ready to play on the road.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:49 am 

BethlehemSteel wrote:
Stosh-67 wrote:
SP wrote:
Ben said Haley wanted to kick the extra point after the botched 2 point call and delay of game but Tomlin overruled him. Ben also said he shot down Haley’s play call on that 3rd and 2 pass to Martavis Bryant at the end of the game. Ben is not shy about taking credit for the big plays where he made the call. Clearly he and Haley don’t see eye to eye. I wonder if the team has the balls to make a coaching change after the season. Doubtful but needed

There have always been the critics that will argue its too late to change now and or Bens window is too small to start from scratch.
I believe we are at scratch.
So a new OC come Thursday is not going to happen.
We look like shit again on Thursday, we have 10 days to give the headset to a new guy and turn this offense into what it should be.

We aren't beating NE or other playoff teams with that grab bag pull and pray shit Haley is trotting out there.

He was on the other end of Ben's (football acumen) many times, now we want Ben to be cuckolded because Haley is what????

A golfer, a son of a coach, who never played.

Fucking dynamite this asshole already

NE is going to fucking obliterate us -- the most unimpressive 7-2 team in history

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:04 am 

Many posts on the 2pt conversion in this thread; there is some irony in the penalty. Many of Haley’s plays immediately remove the possibility of running, which completely removes a sizable portion of the playbook the defense needs to defend. As maddening as that is, the Colts seemed to have Bell’s number yesterday. Never saw so many hits in the backfield, shoestring tackles, and failed stiff arms and one on one battles. With Bell’s performance and Haley’s boner for empty backfields, there was no chance we were running on the 2pt conversion.

In order to expand the playbook and the route tree you need a slightly bigger field. So running a pass play from the 2 limits the already limited Haley playbook. Luckily, one could argue, we got the 5 yard penalty and it allowed for a better set of passing routes to be executed and defended against. That penalty may have saved the game.

Last edited by LakecrestSteeler on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:10 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
TB wrote:
Anyone bitching about the o-line clearly hasn't watched much NFL outside of Steelers games this year.

I don't think Pouncey hasn't given up a sack since 2015. :lol: DeCastro will probably be a first ballot All Pro this year, definitely second team, and hasn't given up a sack all year. Gilbert is probably our best overall lineman, and Hubbard played damn well for a backup. Ramon Foster didn't allow a single sack in 2016, I'm not convinced he's 100% at this point, but rarely ever gives up a sack or penalty, and Finney is a great backup. The only guy who has really had ups and downs so far is Villanueva, but even then I'd describe his play as at least average.

Football Outsiders has the Steelers are the best pass protecting line in the NFL. #1. Go watch Russell Wilson play, or the two teams playing tonight, Arizona, Cincinnati, what Houston is trotting out now, if you want to see what actual bad pass protection looks like. It's like a different form of football. Our passing offense has the luxury of a great o-line.

I 100% agree-- which is why I find our refusal to use the intermediate passing game so frustrating. It seems like we squander a lot of good pass protection on designed dumpoffs to a RB or short crosser or throw it early and deep on the sidelines. The playcalls are what you might use if you had protection problems-- like they don't go together.

Honest question: why are those dump offs not on Ben? I swear the guy is looking to get rid of the ball faster this year. Just doesn't look like he's interested in moving around in the pocket. Of course, with no intermediate routes there may not be much to do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:05 am 

TB wrote:

All that may be true, but they were not at the top of their game on sunday. They were lazy and flat. How many pressures did the colts get? BR also got slammed a few times after launching passes in a hurry. The superman throw to AB he had his jersey being held from behind and a pocket rapidly closing. The Colts defensive front isn't great, and Bell had how many yards? Regardless of shoe string tackles.

I do believe the O line is one of the better ones in the league, and have said so since last year. But they were lackadaisical and forgot there was a game on sunday. At least for the first half, anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:37 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Stinger8 wrote:
Steelers are #10 in yards per game, not great but not bad. Got bad news for the agenda driven haters, Haley aint goin anywhere this year. Start holding players accountable. Josh McDanials is probably the best OC out there I would love to see him hear to see what he could do. It would not surprise me 1 bit if the results were similar to the current production.

5th pass, 8th run, 5th overall before yesterday's game

I looked it up we are as per the site I went to averaging 350 somethin yards a game. Since your claim is better than mine we'll go with yours ( :P )

If the above is accurate why is there SO MUCH bitching??? It gets so fuckin old. Yes we need to improve in the red zone, no question. Red zone is influenced a lot by Haley, agreed. BUT how about the touchdown to McDonald where he was schemed wide the fuck open and our HOFer did not look his way until about 5 seconds after he had the ball (and then almost threw it over his head). That is a microcosm of the complexity of the issue, guys do sometimes get schemed open, then the LT whiffs on a block, the HOF QB throws a shit pass and then says my bad expecting to be absolved of it immediately cause well he is a HOFer, the receiver goes to the wrong spot or drops the pass etc. We probably have an average of 50 more yards a game if our execution is better (not elite, better).

It is so simplistic to blame the OC and absolve everybody else.

Chef please save your "Mcdonald was not schemed open but got lucky cause a gravitational vortex shifted his momentum and he tumbled to that area of the field and that is why Ben did not see him until after McDonald finished his sandwich AND cigarette waiting for the pass" reply

As a total aside watch Brady when he throws a shitty pass, he is apoplectic at himself, demands perfection from himself, watch Ben shrugs his shoulders oh well my bad we'll get em next time. Different levels of commitment and desire.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:34 pm 

It's really hard to know when a misconnected pass is the QB's fault, the receiver's fault, the OC's fault, or just a good play by the defense. I think the temptation is to believe the narrative that supports your beliefs.

I tend to push back on "the QB is 90% of the problem folks, because that's patently false. With the film and the cryptic comments/explanations afterwards, we're left to look at breadcrumbs and tea leaves and very little evidence. All I can do is call it like I see it-- the structure of the primary pass game is for one on ones on the outside to run up the field outside of the numbers and for QB to either throw a quick deep ball if he likes the matchup and the coverage OR then there are short crossers underneath and the plan is to hit one of those guys with the best chance to get YAC. Either way, ball comes out quickly. We rarely run slants any more and only JJSS and AB get pattern variation.

After seeing Ben go kind of John Wayne and seeing not just that he's frustrated with the OC but seeing which plays Ben called when he called them-- utilized the intermediate middle of the field on the two plays we know he called-- it's done nothing to dissuade me from my stance that the OC is a huge part of the problem. Who you want to blame for hiring and enabling him is open to some debate. That he is a huge problem should be obvious to everyone besides Lynch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next