It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cam Sutton Breakdown
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:41 pm 

I need one of the esteemed analysts of this site to give me hope that Cam Sutton can be activated (even though he hasn't played a single NFL regular season snap) and come in and be an above average punt returner.....from the get-go......Please someone give me hope. Give me a breakdown of something you've seen in this kid......

I love me some AB....Might be the best Steeler playmaker of all time when he's all said and done, BUT what the fuck happened to his return ability???? Please, PLEASE find a fucking capable punt returner NOW. Please TAKE AB OFF the field when the other teams kicker is on it.

Call Ayers agent, find out what Giant Eagle Scott Ordorff is working at. Lol!!! Coax Radal El out of retirement......I don't know......Try something......Jesus, its losing us yardage in huge chunks.

Are my eyes deceiving me or is AB scared to fair catch a ball??? Did he not stand 30 yards away from where the ball is gonna hit, almost letting the ball hit or bounce into our own players and then roll to the 1/4 inch line MULTIPLE fucking times today???? HAVE WE HAD a player in like 30 years that has gotten more than a yard or two on a return???

I need one of those player breakdowns from Scunge, B2B, Drama, hell STD even; that gives me some hope that Sutton can be the savior. A small hint that he can come in and hold his own as a corner in Haden's absence would be a bonus too.

Anybody? Somebody? Any opinions? Any answers??? WHat the hell is the issue with this team finding a returner or getting a positive return EVERY NOW & THEN???

Post subject: Re: Cam Sutton Breakdown
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:10 pm 
Hows this:

Sensabaugh ran a 4.42 and a very respectable 6.6 3 cone. He has the tools and doesnt mind sticking his face in the fan. A slightly better pass rush and I doubt we see much difference.

Sutton comes on and provides a little lift in the return game. Gets his feet wet. Has some snaps should Sensabaugh falter.

I have high hopes both will be fine. Haden will be back before the playoffs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:12 pm 

It's the Colclough curse. Gonna take some incredible shit to break and I don't think Sutton can do it. I do think he can play cb though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:05 am 

I talked about Sutton as a punt returner a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, I will copy and paste from that thread, so here it is:

I love punt returns and love watching other punt returners. What we have masquerading as punt returners is pretty lame, and may be the lamest I have seen in 20+ years.

Whether it is Brown or Rogers they both have no balls, no guts, no confidence. I am tired of the excuses of there not being any blocking, what can Brown/Rogers do? Bullshit. Your punt returners have to have confidence and swagger and take chances. I am so tired of watching Brown just let the ball bounce and have it roll inside our 15, 10, 5 yard line. Those are prime opportunities to actually get a sizable return. You have to have the confidence to snatch that ball up and make a move.

I saw Cam Sutton do this time and time again in watching his returns. He almost took it as an insult to let a ball hit the ground and roll and ruin his team chances of getting field position. Here is an example of him playing against Bowling Green:

https://youtu.be/zhnk727-WQI?t=94

In that video the ball falls short of him and is tumbling right by him, but he runs back, tracks it and snatches the ball with his sure hands and then proceeds to have a big return of some 50 yards. The past two years, be it Brown or Rogers they would have let the ball continue rolling and be downed inside the 5 yard line.

Here is another example of a punter trying to punt away from Sutton:

https://youtu.be/x0O_afwVVcg?t=146

Sutton runs to the football along the sideline, and it is tumbling but he snatches it up and then returns it for 40+ yards. Again, the past two years with Brown and Rogers, that is a football that continues to tumble and be downed inside the 15, 10, 5 yard line. No balls no glory, if you don't have what it takes to get the job done put somebody in there who can.

This team needs the return game to start making contributions and specifically the punt return game. Sutton could be the elixir to solve the problem, I know that Brown and Rogers are not the answer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:10 am 

Steelersfan wrote:
I need one of the esteemed analysts of this site to give me hope that Cam Sutton can be activated (even though he hasn't played a single NFL regular season snap) and come in and be an above average punt returner.....from the get-go......Please someone give me hope. Give me a breakdown of something you've seen in this kid......

I love me some AB....Might be the best Steeler playmaker of all time when he's all said and done, BUT what the fuck happened to his return ability???? Please, PLEASE find a fucking capable punt returner NOW. Please TAKE AB OFF the field when the other teams kicker is on it.

Call Ayers agent, find out what Giant Eagle Scott Ordorff is working at. Lol!!! Coax Radal El out of retirement......I don't know......Try something......Jesus, its losing us yardage in huge chunks.

Are my eyes deceiving me or is AB scared to fair catch a ball??? Did he not stand 30 yards away from where the ball is gonna hit, almost letting the ball hit or bounce into our own players and then roll to the 1/4 inch line MULTIPLE fucking times today???? HAVE WE HAD a player in like 30 years that has gotten more than a yard or two on a return???

I need one of those player breakdowns from Scunge, B2B, Drama, hell STD even; that gives me some hope that Sutton can be the savior. A small hint that he can come in and hold his own as a corner in Haden's absence would be a bonus too.

Anybody? Somebody? Any opinions? Any answers??? WHat the hell is the issue with this team finding a returner or getting a positive return EVERY NOW & THEN???

I am so disgusted with the punt returns. The word returns should not be used. AB is put that there to fair catch or not get hurt. Fuck that. Put Rodgers back there. Put Sutton back there. Put T.J. Watt back there. Put someone who could actually return a punt back there.

Last edited by jebrick on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:31 am 

I am really, really disgusted with special teams coach Danny Smith.

How many years of this crap do we have to put up with before they fire him?

I am reminded of when we had so much trouble with our offensive line back when we had the likes of Sean Kugler and Jack Bicknell Jr coaching the unit. Then we hired a real, talented coach in Mike Munchak and things improved drastically.

I feel the same thing can and will happen with our special teams once they let Smith go and hire a better coach.

Remember when Landry Jones came out to hold for a FG and then attempted a pass which got intercepted?

Remember when Smith thought it was a brilliant idea to have Boswell do a fancy River Dance type of crossing legs maneuver while attempting an onside kick?

Who exactly thought Demarcus Ayers was the best punt returner in that draft? Colbert or was he going by Danny Smith's recommendation?

Who exactly thought Colin Holba was the best long snapping prospect in 5 years? Was it Colbert or was he going by the say so of Danny Smith?

Smith has talked about how he does not have many options for the return game. For kick returns you have a former slot WR/RB in college who averaged 25.2 yards a return and had 1 TD. JJ Wilcox started out on offense before moving to defense in college. He is big and shifty, and has very good lateral agility. Why not let him take a crack at kick returns? How hard is it? It isn't like he is inactive for the games, he is one of the backup safeties, use him!!

Just have no respect for Smith, I think we can do much better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:00 am 

Scunge wrote:

I am reminded of when we had so much trouble with our offensive line back when we had the likes of Sean Kugler and Jack Bicknell Jr coaching the unit. Then we hired a real, talented coach in Mike Munchak and things improved drastically.

I feel the same thing can and will happen with our special teams once they let Smith go and hire a better coach.

Remember when Landry Jones came out to hold for a FG and then attempted a pass which got intercepted?

Remember when Smith thought it was a brilliant idea to have Boswell do a fancy River Dance type of crossing legs maneuver while attempting an onside kick?

Who exactly thought Demarcus Ayers was the best punt returner in that draft? Colbert or was he going by Danny Smith's recommendation?

Who exactly thought Colin Holba was the best long snapping prospect in 5 years? Was it Colbert or was he going by the say so of Danny Smith?

Smith has talked about how he does not have many options for the return game. For kick returns you have a former slot WR/RB in college who averaged 25.2 yards a return and had 1 TD. JJ Wilcox started out on offense before moving to defense in college. He is big and shifty, and has very good lateral agility. Why not let him take a crack at kick returns? How hard is it? It isn't like he is inactive for the games, he is one of the backup safeties, use him!!

Smith is a joke...agree. I literally get pissed off when they show him chomping in his gum. Fuck that guy, should have been gone years ago as you said.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:23 pm 

Since Hayden is not going on IR, Sutton probably won't be activated until 11/20, the last day he can come off short term IR. Somebody must go off the roster. Mitchell says he's coming back for the Titans but probably won't be effective.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:31 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Who exactly thought Colin Holba was the best long snapping prospect in 5 years? ...

Still get a good laugh thinking about this whole saga, from the draft to the classic Steeler Fury argument.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:31 pm 

Charles Demarr wrote:
Scunge wrote:

Smith is a joke...agree. I literally get pissed off when they show him chomping in his gum. Fuck that guy, should have been gone years ago as you said.

Our special teams have been shit since Bobby April left.