It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Torch was passed to JuJu tonight
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:40 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I thought Schuster might get caught from behind. He isn't very fast but fast enough to out run 3 DB's for that Huge, huge score. Most exciting play of the night.

Those of you that saw this will know what I mean. That play reminded me of the Phil Kessel breakaway in OT this past week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:04 am 

I'm thinking for this offense to really click they have to get Gilbert healthy and back. The run game will improve vastly. Who else shit their pants when Hubbard went out last night? OLine is crucial for this offense's success.
Bryant has to come back looking for any opportunities to explode on the field. Bryant is greedy and there's nothing wrong with that. I expect WR's to be greedy. How to handle it is where Bryant needs to get better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:05 am 

GreekSteel wrote:
Quote:
JuJu Smith-Schuster‏
Verified account
 @TeamJuJu
“Juju Smith-Schuster Draft Scouting Report: Will struggle to separate from NFL CBs, not a deep threat, not a precise route runner”

I like JuJu a lot, but that scouting report isn't entirely wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:10 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I'm thinking for this offense to really click they have to get Gilbert healthy and back. The run game will improve vastly. Who else shit their pants when Hubbard went out last night? OLine is crucial for this offense's success.
Bryant has to come back looking for any opportunities to explode on the field. Bryant is greedy and there's nothing wrong with that. I expect WR's to be greedy. How to handle it is where Bryant needs to get better.

I think one of the most important injuries we've had. He's extremely underrated, in both the passing and running games.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:12 am 

SP wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
Quote:
JuJu Smith-Schuster‏
Verified account
 @TeamJuJu
“Juju Smith-Schuster Draft Scouting Report: Will struggle to separate from NFL CBs, not a deep threat, not a precise route runner”

I like JuJu a lot, but that scouting report isn't entirely wrong.

Agreed. But if that motivates him to make himself better, this can be more important.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:17 am 

AB wasn't a precise route runner coming into the league either. Look how good he is now. JuJu will get there. He'll never be much of a deep threat though, which is fine because that's just not what he is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:44 am 

There was some inconsistent reports on him during the build up to the draft. Some thought he was too slow or not much of a route runner, then there were others that thought he would possibly be a late first round pick.

When I looked at his game, I leaned more to him being a late first round pick. Everything was there on tape, there was no projection, no squinting of the eyes to see how he would turn out as a player. I loved him as a prospect but thought we had no chance in hell of getting him, thought he would be gone by our late 2nd round pick, that we would have to settle for someone like Chris Godwin.

I will say it again, JuJu can get deep, he can attack the intermediate areas, he can line up as a quasi-TE, be a slot WR, outside WR, the sky is the limit.

He is so young, and his body will get stronger and more developed. He is 215 and runs a 4.54. I wish the Bolden comparisons would stop, Anquan ran a 4.72 40.

In many ways JuJu reminds me of another WR from a couple years ago, one of Bryants teammates at Clemson, DeAndre Hopkins. Here is a WR that just like JuJu, was told he was not big enough, 6'1" 215 to be a true #1 WR, or fast enough, 4.57, to be a deep threat, but just like JuJu he was a physical blocker, and just has 'it". Sometimes people can get so enamored with size, speed, the combine numbers and not see the forest for the trees, not able to see the football player before them.

In terms of what JuJu is doing this year, here are the only numbers that I care about:

36 targets 24 catches, that 66.7 catch percentage is the best among Steeler WRs, better than Browns 60.6%. 24 catches for 424 yards, a 17.7 yard average and 4 TDs. JuJu has 19 first downs on those 24 catches, that 79.2 first down percentage is not just the best on the team, but one of the best in the NFL. He has 5 catches over 20+ yards and 2 over 40+ yards.

I said when we drafted him that he could very well have 60 catches and 7-8 TDs as a rookie. With the way things are now, he may very well have a shot at going over 1,000 yards. Bryant and Rogers are in a funk, and maybe the answer is to fully commit to JuJu as the clear #2 WR leaving Rogers and Bryant to share the #3 role.

And when you think about it, that #3 role can be a lot of things, and be different in a number of ways. Is Bryant's struggles because his best production came when he was not the #2? You look over the years, the deep ball production to Wallace as a rookie, to Bryant, to Coates, did that happen with them being the #2 WR? Or was it because they were able to narrow down their focus and routes, to simplify things to make it happen?

Having JuJu opposite Brown and then being able to line up Bryant inside or wherever, that might be the ticket to get him jump started in a Mike Wallace rookie role when our starters at wideout were Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:46 am 

SP wrote:
AB wasn't a precise route runner coming into the league either. Look how good he is now. JuJu will get there. He'll never be much of a deep threat though, which is fine because that's just not what he is.

I believe JuJu is like Jerry Rice in the speed factor. Rice wasn't a deep threat but rarely got caught from behind. I saw that in spades on JuJu's long TD and to think he can only get better w/ his route running and separation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:29 am 

The key to Juju's success is the way they're using him. He runs a ton in the slot and he gets routes in the middle of the field. They use him in an entirely different way than they do Bryant. Have to get them both on the field and both doing more kinds of routes. It's actually true of the other receivers, too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:58 am 

I like jujus sense of humor.

Any rate yeah they need both him and Martavis on the field. This lions game to me had sort of a playoff feel. IOW we could see a team like that in the playoffs. Lions do not look bad either. I can see them going a ways in the NFC.

Relying on 3-4 goal line/ red zone stops is not a formula for success. It’s fun to watch but replay that game I’m pretty convinced lions get at least one of those tds. What did they have almost 500 yards passing?

Reason I say this is not to criticize the D but the O. Feeding bell half the offensive snaps is going to bite them. They need to get MB back and McDonald and use them.

Also I’ll add OT issues are a big factor this season. Gilbert needs to return. Villy needs to play better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next