It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 1st Half KC drives
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:40 pm
Posts: 2999
Pure dominance. KC didn't miss on plays because they were being shut down and never had a chance to make plays. If Steelers play near this level for remainder of season on D it will be a ton of fun to watch.

Drive 1:

1st down: run play: Tuitt destroys it and Dupree gets off block to clean up for 1 yard gain.
2nd down: Tuitt knife through butter and is tackled = hold. He split a double team.
2nd down & long....: snaps over Smith's head = safety. Even on this play Heyward and Dupree were in backfield.

Drive 2:
1st down: Chiefs do usual run everyone all over the damn place to get Steelers out of gaps. Steelers maintain gaps and Williams doesn't bite and cleans up on backside pursuit: 3 yard gain.
2nd down: Smith fires quick pass to Hunt: Watt in coverage makes good play limits to 1 yard gain.
3rd down: Blitz on pass play. Burns makes good play on Harris to break up pass. Dupree rushes inside and gets double team, leaves Shazier and Davis 2 v 1 on outside. Davis provides pressure forces Smith to settle for short pass to Harris. Tuitt also in backfield. He should start moving furniture to backfield it is currently his home.

Drive 3:
1st down: quick pass to Hill. Deebo makes play holds Hills to 5 yards.
2nd down: Chiefs again with motion trying to fool Steelers. Steelers don't bite. Dupree stays in gap forces Hill on jet sweep to go wider where he lands right into blitzing arms of Hilton for - 9 yards.
3rd down: Erving sees Tuitts shits himself + false start.
3rd down: Hilton despite being shoved in back & held makes great play on WR screen.

Drive 4:
1st down: 3 man rush on pass play. Good pressure, Smith tries to get ball in between defenders to Kelce (tough throw) and can't do it. Haden ensures Kelce has no play.
2nd down: hot route to Hill. Shaz despite going opposite direction from Hill makes play to limit gain to 4 yards.
3rd down: Smith tries to go deep. Tuitt great pressure and Dupree helps collapse pocket. Smith has to get rid of it and it looked like he was throwing it away as Hill was blanket covered by Davis and Gay.

Drive 5:
1st down: Hunt run play blow up by Watt and Heyward: Davis cleaned up for no gain.
2nd down: Good pressure on 3 man rush but Steelers playing that infuriating soft zone allows Smith to dump to West for 9 yards over middle.
3rd down: run inside by Hunt for 3 yards. Heyward took wrong gap allowed small crease for 1st down.
1st down: 4 man rush on pass play. Williams destroys Hunt and sacks Smith. KC obviously petrified of dline & OLBs left Williams on rb.
2nd down: pass play Dupree beats OT easily and is ready to light up Smith but a Hunt false start stops play.
2rd down: Heyward and Dupree in Smith's face who promptly throws it to no one (int grounding) but Dupree has dumb dumb moment and hits Smith in helmet
2nd down: pass play Dupree and Watt get doubled and again Williams v Hill. No contest Williams destroys him and sack ends half.

Watt dropped into coverage a ton. He rushed maybe once or twice. Dupree gets edge continually but he just doesn't bend like Deebo. Nonetheless he has improved. Dline was superb and especially Tuitt. Hargrave eat up center and was huge reason Hunt was a complete non factor. Heyward wasn't far behind Tuitt living in backfield. Tuitt was simply unblockable. Front 7 is a pleasure to watch.

I'll do 2nd half sometime this week.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1st Half KC drives
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 7983
steelclan wrote:
Drive 3:
1st down: quick pass to Hill. Deebo makes play holds Hills to 5 yards.
2nd down: Chiefs again with motion trying to fool Steelers. Steelers don't bite. Dupree stays in gap forces Hill on jet sweep to go wider where he lands right into blitzing arms of Hilton for - 9 yards.
3rd down: Erving sees Tuitts shits himself + false start.
3rd down: Hilton despite being shoved in back & held makes great play on WR screen.


Lol

Thanks for taking the time, Clan.

_________________
Frank Sinatra, Jr. 'Black Night'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdwl7X6Jruo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1st Half KC drives
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:40 pm
Posts: 2999
Still Lit wrote:
steelclan wrote:
Drive 3:
1st down: quick pass to Hill. Deebo makes play holds Hills to 5 yards.
2nd down: Chiefs again with motion trying to fool Steelers. Steelers don't bite. Dupree stays in gap forces Hill on jet sweep to go wider where he lands right into blitzing arms of Hilton for - 9 yards.
3rd down: Erving sees Tuitts shits himself + false start.
3rd down: Hilton despite being shoved in back & held makes great play on WR screen.


Lol

Thanks for taking the time, Clan.


Erving had Tuittetts syndrome.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1st Half KC drives
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 3548
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
I thought the pressure without bringing pressure was some of the best I've seen in a while.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1st Half KC drives
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 8899
Ice wrote:
I thought the pressure without bringing pressure was some of the best I've seen in a while.


Yeah, I like how Butler is letting these guys get upfield...and worry about solving any run issues that pop-up. Lebeau simply refused to evolve that way.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1st Half KC drives
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 3548
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
That quick pressure without having to commit blitzers is going to be helpful if it continues against more elite QBs, though it appears one of those is sadly off the menu later in the season.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1st Half KC drives
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:04 pm 
Kodiak wrote:
Ice wrote:
I thought the pressure without bringing pressure was some of the best I've seen in a while.


Yeah, I like how Butler is letting these guys get upfield...and worry about solving any run issues that pop-up. Lebeau simply refused to evolve that way.


Kinda puts some of the times weve been run on in a perspective of sorts.

Outside of turnover gimmes how many TDs has this team really given up each game ? Im gonna guess 2 or less. ? As the offense plays into shape a large percentage of those games are gonna be wins


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1st Half KC drives
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 8899
SteelerChef wrote:
Kinda puts some of the times weve been run on in a perspective of sorts.

Outside of turnover gimmes how many TDs has this team really given up each game ? Im gonna guess 2 or less. ? As the offense plays into shape a large percentage of those games are gonna be wins


Yeah, it's a passing league. If you're weak against the pass, prioritizing stopping the run only INVITES offenses to attack your weakness.

It's still hard in today's NFL to put points on the board primarily running (we should all know that well from the Cowher years). Even against CHI, which gashed the run defense, they were largely held out of the EZ until the meltdown in OT. I can live with that. Defense is not why we lost to CHI.

You want to get teams to third and long, then pin your ears back. THAT is winning defense. I've never been a fan of "bend-don't-break". That's for flawed defenses. Go ahead and give-up the occasional splash play - if you're getting off the field you're winning both TOP and the field position battle.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1st Half KC drives
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 5769
steelclan wrote:
Pure dominance. KC didn't miss on plays because they were being shut down and never had a chance to make plays. If Steelers play near this level for remainder of season on D it will be a ton of fun to watch.

Drive 1:

1st down: run play: Tuitt destroys it and Dupree gets off block to clean up for 1 yard gain.
2nd down: Tuitt knife through butter and is tackled = hold. He split a double team.
2nd down & long....: snaps over Smith's head = safety. Even on this play Heyward and Dupree were in backfield.

Drive 2:
1st down: Chiefs do usual run everyone all over the damn place to get Steelers out of gaps. Steelers maintain gaps and Williams doesn't bite and cleans up on backside pursuit: 3 yard gain.
2nd down: Smith fires quick pass to Hunt: Watt in coverage makes good play limits to 1 yard gain.
3rd down: Blitz on pass play. Burns makes good play on Harris to break up pass. Dupree rushes inside and gets double team, leaves Shazier and Davis 2 v 1 on outside. Davis provides pressure forces Smith to settle for short pass to Harris. Tuitt also in backfield. He should start moving furniture to backfield it is currently his home.

Drive 3:
1st down: quick pass to Hill. Deebo makes play holds Hills to 5 yards.
2nd down: Chiefs again with motion trying to fool Steelers. Steelers don't bite. Dupree stays in gap forces Hill on jet sweep to go wider where he lands right into blitzing arms of Hilton for - 9 yards.
3rd down: Erving sees Tuitts shits himself + false start.
3rd down: Hilton despite being shoved in back & held makes great play on WR screen.

Drive 4:
1st down: 3 man rush on pass play. Good pressure, Smith tries to get ball in between defenders to Kelce (tough throw) and can't do it. Haden ensures Kelce has no play.
2nd down: hot route to Hill. Shaz despite going opposite direction from Hill makes play to limit gain to 4 yards.
3rd down: Smith tries to go deep. Tuitt great pressure and Dupree helps collapse pocket. Smith has to get rid of it and it looked like he was throwing it away as Hill was blanket covered by Davis and Gay.

Drive 5:
1st down: Hunt run play blow up by Watt and Heyward: Davis cleaned up for no gain.
2nd down: Good pressure on 3 man rush but Steelers playing that infuriating soft zone allows Smith to dump to West for 9 yards over middle.
3rd down: run inside by Hunt for 3 yards. Heyward took wrong gap allowed small crease for 1st down.
1st down: 4 man rush on pass play. Williams destroys Hunt and sacks Smith. KC obviously petrified of dline & OLBs left Williams on rb.
2nd down: pass play Dupree beats OT easily and is ready to light up Smith but a Hunt false start stops play.
2rd down: Heyward and Dupree in Smith's face who promptly throws it to no one (int grounding) but Dupree has dumb dumb moment and hits Smith in helmet
2nd down: pass play Dupree and Watt get doubled and again Williams v Hill. No contest Williams destroys him and sack ends half.

Watt dropped into coverage a ton. He rushed maybe once or twice. Dupree gets edge continually but he just doesn't bend like Deebo. Nonetheless he has improved. Dline was superb and especially Tuitt. Hargrave eat up center and was huge reason Hunt was a complete non factor. Heyward wasn't far behind Tuitt living in backfield. Tuitt was simply unblockable. Front 7 is a pleasure to watch.

I'll do 2nd half sometime this week.

It’s funny, I was just getting ready to re-watch some of the game when I came across this post. Taking Clan’s cue, I decided to focus on Tuitt. Clan was spot on... unblockable. Just so damn quick off the snap...a monster in this game!

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bigtoad, Bing [Bot], JackSplat58, Rod & Wire Mill and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group