It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: #1 against the pass?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:49 am 

On Steelers post game radio yesterday I think they talked about Butler unleashing the DL to rush the passer more. I think they also mentioned because of that, it leaves some gaps in the DL in the run game.

I am thrilled with the idea of unleashing the DL to rush the passer.

I didn't get to hear too much of that conversation, but I'm pretty sure that is something they discussed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:08 am 

Havoc wrote:
On Steelers post game radio yesterday I think they talked about Butler unleashing the DL to rush the passer more. I think they also mentioned because of that, it leaves some gaps in the DL in the run game.

I am thrilled with the idea of unleashing the DL to rush the passer.

I didn't get to hear too much of that conversation, but I'm pretty sure that is something they discussed.

Makes sense. The DL are getting up field more and that could cause more gaps in run D.

I know people say jags but outside of the bears no team has really been that successful running. That is the bears clearly game planned around their run game and had the right backs to execute it.

I think this D is for real. Upgrades all over. Front 7 getting more pressure, secondary much steadier. They’ll have some ugly moments like chiefs td with the burns miss coverage and tackle. But overall it’s a good unit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:30 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
I wish they would demote M Mitchell and promote Wilcox.

This.

I fucking HATE Mike Mitchell. Him wearing the black and gold is a complete joke.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:39 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
sgtrobo wrote:
I hate to be "that guy", but...

rookie DeShone Kizer
backup Case Keenum
backup Mike Glennon
Joe Flacco
Blake Bortles

not exactly a murderer's row of talent there. That said, we rebounded magnificently and shut down a red hot team offensively.

Before today, the Steelers were the 3rd ranked Football Outsiders pass D-- and that is adjusted for strength of schedule (the steelers were downgraded to 3rd with the 27th ranked strength of offensive opponent.)

Well, Chiefs were #1 on O, so this performance is going to vault the Steelers to the top pass D spot-- ending up at #2 overall defense is a possibility, too. Huge performance today.

agreed thoroughly, and when you have 40 (edit - 36) minutes TOP, that helps relieve the pressure against the run on defense and we shut down the #1 RB so far this season. Outstanding performance indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:43 pm 

I like Dupree more than most, but does he REALLY only have one pass rushing move?

The giant wide loop around the tackle praying the QB takes a very deep drop?

Is this the fucking only thing he can do?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:07 pm 

I’ve been patient with Dupree because he’s shown some flashes and is still developing.

With that being said, I’ve been trying to focus on him more and it seems his motor is stuck in idle at times.

I don’t think he gives intense effort down in and down out.

Thus far he’s underwhelming and not producing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:12 pm 

KC wrote:
I like Dupree more than most, but does he REALLY only have one pass rushing move?

The giant wide loop around the tackle praying the QB takes a very deep drop?

Is this the fucking only thing he can do?

Um, yes. That's it. He's an athlete playing football. I've seen very very little progress on hand fighting, technique, or any sort of counter moves on the pass rush. The wide loop he takes is his only real move. Now, it wouldn't be so bad if he actually was able to lean and dip his shoulder around the corner. But, he really can't.

Our #1 pick had one tackle yesterday. Last week, he has zero tackles and an assist. One tackle and one assist in 2 weeks. I'm really trying not to hate Dupree, but it's getting hard. Now, there were a few plays where he maintained the edge and played the run well yesterday, so I want to be objective here. But he is a far far cry from the dynamic playmaking force that everyone expected coming out as a #1 pick.

Imagine how good this D could be if Dupree actually stepped up his game. I'm not holding my breath though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:15 pm 

955876 wrote:
I’ve been patient with Dupree because he’s shown some flashes and is still developing.

With that being said, I’ve been trying to focus on him more and it seems his motor is stuck in idle at times.

I don’t think he gives intense effort down in and down out.

Thus far he’s underwhelming and not producing.

I saw that on film when he was at Kentucky. That's why I wanted no part of him despite his great combine numbers. I wanted Shane Ray. Dupree is an athlete but I don't see the motor and desire to get better there. With his speed and size, he should be DECIMATING NFL right tackles. After all, they are the weaker pass protectors of the line (usually). Instead he plays pattycakes or does a loop around the RT tackle that is wider than a turn at the Daytona Speedway. It's pathetic at times.

I will give him this. He's not bad versus the run and if we can scheme him to be unblocked, he can make some plays. Otherwise, he sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:19 pm 

Wasn't Harrison taking reps in camp and preseason at Dupree's spot?

Remember, there's a "plan" for James Harrison :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:20 pm 

Zeke5123 wrote:
I think people are making too much re QBs. Our CBs have been dominate attacking WR. There hasn't been much separation. Haden is playing like a borderline No 1. Burns is a No 1. Hilton is playing like a legit corner. The quality of QB doesn't impact the quality of coverage.

Not to mention - how many years have we been making JAGs look like Pro Bowlers?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next