It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: #1 against the pass?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:45 pm 

I think people are making too much re QBs. Our CBs have been dominate attacking WR. There hasn't been much separation. Haden is playing like a borderline No 1. Burns is a No 1. Hilton is playing like a legit corner. The quality of QB doesn't impact the quality of coverage.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:49 pm 

There are lots of reasons for it. Burns and Davis are a year older. Haden and Hilton are huge additions right now. Watt and the DL are getting pressure. Shazier has been good in coverage. VW has been surprising.

It bodes well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:51 pm 

I do think they aren't No 1 in passing in terms of talent. But top 5 against passing? Sure. And with a healthy Tuitt + adding in Harrison ... I think it is a top 5 defense. Offense needs to start attacking like they did in the first half. Can get to be the best team in the NFL from a talent perspective.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:54 pm 

I'm sure being 28th against the run plays into the opposing team's game plan.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:51 pm 

Looking forward to it balancing out into a top 5-10 unit.

These guys will be dominant by the end of the year.

If the Offense gets out going....if...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:24 am 

Everyone mentioning the QBs faced thus far, that's exactly what all the talking heads said before the game today. So much for the vaunted Chiefs juggernaut offense. Could not pass. And, more importantly, could not run.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:28 am 

sgtrobo wrote:
I hate to be "that guy", but...

rookie DeShone Kizer
backup Case Keenum
backup Mike Glennon
Joe Flacco
Blake Bortles

not exactly a murderer's row of talent there. That said, we rebounded magnificently and shut down a red hot team offensively.

Before today, the Steelers were the 3rd ranked Football Outsiders pass D-- and that is adjusted for strength of schedule (the steelers were downgraded to 3rd with the 27th ranked strength of offensive opponent.)

Well, Chiefs were #1 on O, so this performance is going to vault the Steelers to the top pass D spot-- ending up at #2 overall defense is a possibility, too. Huge performance today.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:21 am 

RemoAZ wrote:
I'm sure being 28th against the run plays into the opposing team's game plan.

historically, if your team gets consistently gashed in the run game, you will have artificially bloated ranking in pass defense. That's part of it, but this is the best overall secondary the Steelers have had since possibly the steel curtain if you think about it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:23 am 

vs the Chiefs, the Steelers played a lot more zone which helps them vs the run. They went back to some zone blitzes to generate more pressure. I am impressed with the amount of pressure they are getting. Dupree is getting pressure but not finishing. He needs to take a more direct line at some point ( see Deebo).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:46 am 

steelsmitty wrote:
It's a bit misleading

Kizer
Keenum
Glennon
Flacco
Bortles
Smith

Today was the first real test at QB and he was missing a few targets. I still think this is the best the secondary's been in quite sometime. If the defense as a whole can play more disciplined (looking at you shazier) the sky is the limit

So there are 10 more games on the regular season schedule: Facing Stafford and Brady in two of them. Are there any more worthy (by you) QB's left other than that?

Love that these teams field sub par QB's and give our D a hand getting good reps because come play off time, maybe they'll be even better. I could give a rats ass how lines up across form our D. I care about what they've put on tape. A win is a win and I'll take a W no matter how we get it. I hope we beat the Packers in a few weeks, minus Rogers and I will not care one bit that Rogers isn't in the game! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next