It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is the HaleyBall offense a consequence of....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:31 am 

Oh, I didn't realize I was back in class. In short, this is now a rb centric offense, with mostly horizontal passing mixed in, per Tomlin's orders. It's Pennington and curtis martin all over again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:11 am 

The offense was running back centric last year too. And the year before that.

The problem most of us have with your point is...

1.) Your history makes it hard to take anything you say about Tomlin seriously.

2.) You have done nothing to prove that a.) there is a difference in how the offense is being called this year vs prior years and b) That any change is the result of Tomlin forcing it on Haley.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:40 am 

Lynch wrote:
Oh, I didn't realize I was back in class. In short, this is now a rb centric offense, with mostly horizontal passing mixed in, per Tomlin's orders. It's Pennington and curtis martin all over again.

You still haven't pointed out where it is "Tomlin's orders, presumably upon direction from Art II".

The run/pass mix may have changed, but this offense is not significantly different than it was in 2013. Haley's offense has always been about running and horizontal passing and getting YAC.

Also totally discounts all the personnel turnover since 2013.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:59 am 

Our weapons are not anywhere near what we think they are. AB is AB....I will grant you that. James is a good #2 TE, but no ILB is scared of him. Bryant is a shell of himself from 2 years ago. Go watch the film. His speed and quickness has deteriorated and so has his route running. I don't think the added muscle weight has helped him any.

Finally, we have Bell. He looks like he's running in quicksand this year. I really hope and pray it is because of the holdout, but my eyes don't lie. He seems to have lost that extra gear. Defenses are closing on him faster than ever and he can't get away from them. Without that burst after his trademark hesitation at the line, Bell is nothing more than a middle-of-the-pack NFL back (at best).

Toss in the fact that AV lost a lot of weight and looks like shit and that Hubbard is a dumpster fire...and you have the results you see today.

Is a lot of it playcalling? Yes, of course. But, we are deluding ourselves if we think we have all this elite offensive firepower and that Ben should be lighting it up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:28 am 

Hey guys... The sky appears blue to us here on earths surface. Do you need someone to explain to you why?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:30 am 

franco32 wrote:
Our weapons are not anywhere near what we think they are. AB is AB....I will grant you that. James is a good #2 TE, but no ILB is scared of him. Bryant is a shell of himself from 2 years ago. Go watch the film. His speed and quickness has deteriorated and so has his route running. I don't think the added muscle weight has helped him any.

Finally, we have Bell. He looks like he's running in quicksand this year. I really hope and pray it is because of the holdout, but my eyes don't lie. He seems to have lost that extra gear. Defenses are closing on him faster than ever and he can't get away from them. Without that burst after his trademark hesitation at the line, Bell is nothing more than a middle-of-the-pack NFL back (at best).

Toss in the fact that AV lost a lot of weight and looks like shit and that Hubbard is a dumpster fire...and you have the results you see today.

Is a lot of it playcalling? Yes, of course. But, we are deluding ourselves if we think we have all this elite offensive firepower and that Ben should be lighting it up.

FC is right. Regarding Bell, DeCastro had a TERRIBLE game. Just got done reading a breakdown of the line's run blocking in Jags loss. It was putrid. Is Bell done or is the line playing like shit or both?

Take a gander, but hold your nose.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/fi ... struggles/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:31 am 

Jeemie wrote:
Lynch wrote:

You still haven't pointed out where it is "Tomlin's orders, presumably upon direction from Art II".

Sorry, I wasn't clear on "higher up" in my earler post. I meant higher up than Haley. Meaning Tomlin. This is the word whistling through the proverbial grapevine. May not be true, but again, it fits, as has been pointed out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:41 am 

Agree with many of Franco's sentiments.

Bell is still good but not even close to what he was in 2014.

Bryant is in a freefall and I agree the added bulk has not helped him. Might have hurt him.

JJ is a #2 TE

We better hope JuJu puts up huge rookie numbers and that McDonald emerges and makes a significant impact.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:06 pm 

I'm not judging Bell on the plays he has poor blocking. I'm actually watching him on plays when he has holes. Compared to past years, a run that used to be 8-9 yards is now 3-4. A catch that used to be 10-12 yards is now 4-5 (as seen by his putrid 5.3 average on catches).

It is in space that he is lacking acceleration and it is scary. It's scary because we have no alternative right now. Ben's dump offs do not go anywhere near as far as Brady's or Ryan's do right now. And, it is primarily because Bell seems a full step slower. That is a BIG problem when you are paying someone 12 million/yr.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:43 pm 

We are so fortunate Bell did not sign that contract.

I really hope the FO is smart about him moving forward.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next