It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jesse James calls out game planning aka coaching
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:20 am 

Quote:
. He has no pass plays over 20+ yards

How many did the rest of the team have?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:52 am 

Jesse James is doing an ok job. he's a #2 TE thrust into the #1 role because Vance McDonald cant' catch a cold. His quote was honest. he said the defenses have had good game plans. If anything it was a criticism to Haley. So why would people be pissed of Haley is getting called out? (as minor as a call out it was)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:53 am 

I've said it for weeks now in other threads. The scariest part of the offense right now is Leveon Bell. Jesse James is a late round pick that we are relying on to be our #1. He's a shit blocker, just OK as a receiver, and deceptively useful in the redzone at times as we can see from his number of TDs early in his career. That's all he is. If you expect him to be Jason Witten then you were deluding yourself from the beginning. Vance McDonald could have been a solution but he can't CATCH. That's a big problem for a TE. He has Limas Sweed hands right now.

Le'veon Bell is paid a fortune. Go back and look at his film from a year or two ago. Way quicker and faster. He is plodding out there right now. He's running in quick sand. Every time he's in space, I see defenders closing in on him easily. The next time I see him fake out a defender in the open field this season on a pass play will be the first time I see it. Don't be fooled from late game garbage running yards against Baltimore. The fact is that Bell this season has been pretty much stuffed when it counts.

That is killing the offense because it means we have to be perfect converting multiple 3rd downs on long plodding drives. I think I'm going to puke when someone calls Bell the best back in the league. I'd take about 10-12 other backs right now the way he's playing and maybe more. There is no burst or speed out of our backfield and MLBs aren't threatened at all.

All Brady or Ryan have to do at times is dump it to their quick speedy backs out of the backfield and enjoy 10-15 yard chunk plays. We don't have that at all and it's killing this offense because the MLBs can sit and relax in their zones.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:23 am 

I am not ready to give up on McDonald just yet, and I don't think he had Limas Sweed hands. On the first drop that I remember the LBer was tight in coverage and played the catch point and forced the ball out, not necessarily a dropped pass. He had one catch negated by penalty. He had one pass intercepted because Ben did not put enough on it, under threw it.

What I want to see is McDonald start a game as the #1, let him run the all the routes, and then see what happens. I bet he would be a big improvement over James. Don't forget, McDonald was signed so late before the season was to begin, he has to learn a new playbook and get comfortable, etc.

franco32, you are so right about Bell. I don't see what others see about Bell right now. He is not the same player, he is diminished. We got the best out of Bell and I have no problem watching him leave in free agency, it would be stupid for the Steelers to franchise him a second year in a row. And my idea of doing just that and somehow parlaying that into draft picks to move up and get a QB is a pipe dream at this point. All Bell is going to do the rest of the season is prove to the rest of the NFL how much he has declined, how his speed and quickness is deteriorating. And to think that the Steelers almost paid him $12 million a season! Sure they did that for the one year franchise tag, but it could have been for 5 years! Talk about dodging a bullet, he will be lucky to sniff what Freeman got paid by Atlanta.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:26 am 

This team is dysfunctional

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:37 am 

Kinda funny coming from this dude seeing as the offense gets considerably worse when he's on the field.

But if someone is gonna call out Haley I'm all for it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:50 am 

JJ has sure hands and seems like a team guy. Other than that he’s pretty limited at what he brings, but he’s still a decent depth guy. I too hope McDonald sees more time. Blocking alone will get him promoted then he’s gotta earn bens trust.

JJ is right about Haley’s strategic approach to games. What I don’t get about Haley is how could he have run such a good offense in zona and he’s such a moron now? The players including the qb aren’t doing him any favors but he’s getting outcoched on his own too.

Haley has even called a few good games for the Steelers. Yet he abandons what works.

Another interesting side of this is the storyline for a lot of media types who aren’t Steelers fans is Haley is reacting to the offense struggles, not the cause of them. They’ve tried the deep ball, really made it a point and it didn’t work so Haley retreats from it.

I don’t fully believe that but do believe there’s some truth in it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:12 am 

fortythree wrote:
Kinda funny coming from this dude seeing as the offense gets considerably worse when he's on the field.

But if someone is gonna call out Haley I'm all for it.

He's one of the few guys on the team that has shown an ability to catch passes in the endzone. that counts for something. His quote was pretty much nothing. If you're going to bitch and moan about people making a big deal out of Bell acting like an asshole, yet your cool with JJ making a nothing quote, that spells AGENDA.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:34 am 

He is a marginal NFL'r.

If Coach Tomlin told any Internet turds on this forum to suit up and play TE, you'd all do it and suck at it.

The problem of James isn't James. He's a late round pick so the comparison to Heath make zero sense. The problem of James is who puts him out there.

Eventually maybe Vance McD will learn the offense, learn how to catch, learn how to not hold. Until then, we're stuck with a marginal talent because this is how the team chose to address the position.

At least he catches the ball. Which to date makes him the 2nd or 3rd most valuable receiver on this team behind Brown and I guess Bell. Yes this needs to change quickly.

Maybe it's a faulty observation...but it seems you see James more involved after McD f's something up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:35 am 

Yeah.. I don't get the James bashing. He simply pointed out something everybody knew, not to mention what the jags players said publicly. Instead of focusing on what he said, it's an opportunity to judge him instead? Kill the messenger? Bell and AB jerk themselves off in social media and James says something he observed during the game and he's shit?

The only thing to take from this is that the players, as well as fans, are frustrated at the game planning and play call. But the fact that they don't practice the no huddle is concerning and probably true.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next