It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jesse James calls out game planning aka coaching
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:01 am 

Not really that bad James speaking about the offense but man, how about doing your part Jesse?

He is on pace for what?, 57 receptions this year and he is averaging a whopping 8.4 yards a catch. He has no pass plays over 20+ yards and obviously no pass plays over 40+ yards.

Currently he has 18 catches which is good for 11th place among TEs but that yards per catch is just really bad. You want your starting, #1 TE to at least average 10-12 yards per catch. Heath Miller by comparison had a career 11.1 yard average per catch.

But Miller had something else too, he was able make first downs, convert first downs.

Right now Jesse James has a first down percentage of just 44. 44%. That is just pathetic. Last season it really wasn't much better, it was around 51%. Last season James averaged 8.9 yards a catch and had a whopping 2 pass plays over 20+ yards.

Heath Miller was usually around 60-70% for getting first downs on his catches. You look at his 2014 season, his next to last season before his wheels fell off, he averaged 11.5 yards a catch, had 8 pass plays over 20+ yards, had 1 pass play over 40+ yards and a first down percentage of 64.

If you go over to the Depot they are writing some interesting articles on Vance McDonald and how the offense seems to be more productive with him on the field, blocking. James can't even do that, McDonald is the best blocking TE on the roster, James is soft as shit.

He is at his best an average blocker, does not have any run after catch ability, ever watch him run? Jesse James runs on his tippie toes and is afraid of getting hit, he runs with these short choppy steps. I have so soured on him as a player. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Jesse Jane?

The sooner Vance McDonald is made the starter and brought into the passing game the better. I would rather see McDonald and Grimble out there in two TE sets and see what happens. What have we got to lose?

This is my Xmas wish: for McDonald to be made the starter, Grimble made the #2 TE, Jake McGee called up from the PS and for Jesse James to be cut and working at McDonalds.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:06 am 

Steel Ubaldo wrote:
Hinestuff wrote:
Is he really implying that they haven't been practicing hard or something? I don't get it.

What the hell is wrong with this team?

What the hell is wrong with Jesse James? A slow footed tight end that doesn’t do any one thing exceptionally well should probably keep his mouth shut, even if what he is saying is true.

I would expect this type of shit to come out at the end of the season from a guy as he is walking out the door. Not in the middle of the season from a guy who is starting on a first place team.

This team is full of some real characters. :roll:

Jesse James, by any account, is the worst offensive starter. This would be a good time to shut the pie hole.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 am 

Scunge wrote:
Not really that bad James speaking about the offense but man, how about doing your part Jesse?

He is on pace for what?, 57 receptions this year and he is averaging a whopping 8.4 yards a catch. He has no pass plays over 20+ yards and obviously no pass plays over 40+ yards.

Currently he has 18 catches which is good for 11th place among TEs but that yards per catch is just really bad. You want your starting, #1 TE to at least average 10-12 yards per catch. Heath Miller by comparison had a career 11.1 yard average per catch.

But Miller had something else too, he was able make first downs, convert first downs.

Right now Jesse James has a first down percentage of just 44. 44%. That is just pathetic. Last season it really wasn't much better, it was around 51%. Last season James averaged 8.9 yards a catch and had a whopping 2 pass plays over 20+ yards.

Heath Miller was usually around 60-70% for getting first downs on his catches. You look at his 2014 season, his next to last season before his wheels fell off, he averaged 11.5 yards a catch, had 8 pass plays over 20+ yards, had 1 pass play over 40+ yards and a first down percentage of 64.

If you go over to the Depot they are writing some interesting articles on Vance McDonald and how the offense seems to be more productive with him on the field, blocking. James can't even do that, McDonald is the best blocking TE on the roster, James is soft as shit.

He is at his best an average blocker, does not have any run after catch ability, ever watch him run? Jesse James runs on his tippie toes and is afraid of getting hit, he runs with these short choppy steps. I have so soured on him as a player. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Jesse Jane?

The sooner Vance McDonald is made the starter and brought into the passing game the better. I would rather see McDonald and Grimble out there in two TE sets and see what happens. What have we got to lose?

This is my Xmas wish: for McDonald to be made the starter, Grimble made the #2 TE, Jake McGee called up from the PS and for Jesse James to be cut and working at McDonalds.

6.04 per target, right down there with 4.x ypt Lev'eon Bell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:28 am 

While I appreciate James calling a spade a spade, he’s about as worthless on this offense as tits on a bull. We have the boring-est TE group in the league and it’s probably not close.

Below average boring TEs in an offense that highlights the position. Just great.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:17 am 

Yeah, B2B, it isn't just James, but Leveon Bell and Eli Rogers that have both majorly disappointed in the passing game too.

Bell has been targeted 33 times and has 27 receptions for 144 yards, a 5.3 yard average, and 0 TDs, he has no catches over 20+ yards and has produced just 8 first downs as a pass catcher.

I am sorry but what in all of that says that Bell runs routes like a WR? Or that he is so dangerous as a pass catcher? It is ludicrous that people, announcers, etc, all continue with this propaganda that Bell is the best receiving RB in the NFL, so dangerous, that 5.3 yards per catch is terrifying all right.

What should it be? Well, you look at Todd Gurley who has been rejuvenated with a new OC, and he has responded with 22 catches for 241 yards, an 11.0 yard average and 3 TDs, he had 4 pass plays over 20+ yards and 1 over 40+ yards and has produced 9 first downs. Gurley is performing like David Johnson did last season, and the both of them did things as a pass catcher that is deserving of praise, of being compared to WRs.

But for Bell to have 4 catches for 3 yards in those 3 playoff games and then to come into this season and average 5.3 yards a catch, and to have a first down percentage of just 30? 30%, are you kidding me?

2014 is such a long time ago. Back then before the injuries, Bell was really something, special. He had 83 receptions, but averaged 10.3 yards a catch. He produced a first down 50% of the time on those catches, he had 10 pass plays over 20+ yards, and 3 of those were over 40+ yards.

But now in 2017, we have a shadow of that great RB.

Rogers. He was supposed to have this great year as the slot WR, was supposed to hold off JuJu, but predictably it has not gone that way. I was never as impressed with him as others on this forum. In the 3 games that he did play he had 11 targets and produced just 6 catches, for 54 yards, a 9.0 yard average and 0 TDs with 3 first downs. So, he produced a first down on half of his catches.

So, how does that compare to other top slot WRs? Hell, I will point out a slot WR that KC has Albert Wilson, you watch how he will be used on Sunday and how he will kill us on key 3rd down pass plays. Albert Wilson has 16 catches for 158 yards, a 9.9 yd avg and 1 TD. He has a long pass play of 37 yards, but more importantly, he has 11 first downs on those 16 catches, that is 69%.

You look around the NFL and the top slot WRs all have first down catch rates close to 70%. Cole Beasley of Dallas last season was at 68%.

I just laughed when people this past offseason were comparing Rogers to some of the best slot WRs in the game. Rogers just isn't that good. I thought originally that maybe his ceiling was an Andrew Hawkins type of player but he isn't even close to that.

No, what is killing this offense is that the players that Ben has to count on to get open, make plays, move the chains, pick up those crucial first downs are performing incredibly bad. Rogers, James and Bell as a trio are giving us some of the worst production I have ever seen. Hard to move down the field when you can't convert first downs.

Also, in terms of Bell, what can you do? It isn't like there is another RB to put out there on 3rd downs. There is no 3rd down back, instead the coaching staff decided to have two identical players in Connor and Watson. Neither can be a true 3rd down pass catching option or be a return man. We so needed for them to keep Watson on the PS and bring in a smaller RB to be the 3rd down back and kick returner. I had thought some in the preseason that maybe Demarcus Ayers could have filled that role, but alas not to be. The RB group as it is currently constructed is not very good, or versatile, it is rather limited.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:21 am 

You are killing it in this thread, Scunge.

Good stuff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:44 am 

SteelerChef wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Says offense is too predictable. This is fucking hilarious.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0 ... 70832081-4

Link worth clicking. I especially like the part where James says that if they are going to implement the no huddle they should probably bother to practice it. Ok he doesn't say that but comes close.

Read the actual quote. Lit you are now in predatory poaster territory. Congrats on dumbing down your little corner of the universe. You are a fraud academic.

Most of us are, Chef.

JJ says offense is predictable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:46 am 

randomsteelerfan wrote:
What’s the big deal here? He didn’t say anything that anyone with 2 eyes and half a brain watching the game couldn’t see and deduce.

As far as the more effort into the no-huddle during the week, meh.

This statement is hardly inflammatory.

Good thing I didn't title the thread "JJ makes inflammatory statement."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:38 am 

More logs for the fire

Darren Gant writes about Tomlins interpretations :P

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -intended/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:56 am 
Damned if you do damned if you dont

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next