It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jesse James calls out game planning aka coaching
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:35 pm 

Steel Ubaldo wrote:
Hinestuff wrote:
Is he really implying that they haven't been practicing hard or something? I don't get it.

What the hell is wrong with this team?

What the hell is wrong with Jesse James? A slow footed tight end that doesn’t do any one thing exceptionally well should probably keep his mouth shut, even if what he is saying is true.

I would expect this type of shit to come out at the end of the season from a guy as he is walking out the door. Not in the middle of the season from a guy who is starting on a first place team.

This team is full of some real characters. :roll:

The Outlaw is learning his trade from Big Ben's school of "veteran leadership". He's only following his Captain's lead.

I remember when Peyton Manning called out his O-line after that playoff loss. Everyone was on his ass for being a pansy. Funny that :roll:

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:38 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Not really that bad James speaking about the offense but man, how about doing your part Jesse?

He is on pace for what?, 57 receptions this year and he is averaging a whopping 8.4 yards a catch. He has no pass plays over 20+ yards and obviously no pass plays over 40+ yards.

Currently he has 18 catches which is good for 11th place among TEs but that yards per catch is just really bad. You want your starting, #1 TE to at least average 10-12 yards per catch. Heath Miller by comparison had a career 11.1 yard average per catch.

But Miller had something else too, he was able make first downs, convert first downs.

Right now Jesse James has a first down percentage of just 44. 44%. That is just pathetic. Last season it really wasn't much better, it was around 51%. Last season James averaged 8.9 yards a catch and had a whopping 2 pass plays over 20+ yards.

Heath Miller was usually around 60-70% for getting first downs on his catches. You look at his 2014 season, his next to last season before his wheels fell off, he averaged 11.5 yards a catch, had 8 pass plays over 20+ yards, had 1 pass play over 40+ yards and a first down percentage of 64.

If you go over to the Depot they are writing some interesting articles on Vance McDonald and how the offense seems to be more productive with him on the field, blocking. James can't even do that, McDonald is the best blocking TE on the roster, James is soft as shit.

He is at his best an average blocker, does not have any run after catch ability, ever watch him run? Jesse James runs on his tippie toes and is afraid of getting hit, he runs with these short choppy steps. I have so soured on him as a player. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Jesse Jane?

The sooner Vance McDonald is made the starter and brought into the passing game the better. I would rather see McDonald and Grimble out there in two TE sets and see what happens. What have we got to lose?

This is my Xmas wish: for McDonald to be made the starter, Grimble made the #2 TE, Jake McGee called up from the PS and for Jesse James to be cut and working at McDonalds.

How much of that can we really put on James? What he's asked to do in this offense first and foremost is blocking. And James has a ways to go before he's even decent at that. Add to this Ben has been POS'd and doesn't seem to be playing well. re-Todd is the other facet of the catastrophic offensive failure. He designs predictable gameplans that go south from the gate. I can't blame James for anything but poor blocking production. The only thing McDonald has even done is blocking. If that is what you really want from your TE. His stone hands won't allow him to catch the most catchable passes. At least James makes catches rarely dropping any of them even if it means he'll get leveled. How many times have we seen James take huge hits and get up holding the ball? I'm obviously not a huge fan of McDonald at this point but I am hoping that changes. So again, can we really blame James for his low catches and first down production? Or do we really need to take a look at the play calling, OLine blocking and QB execution? Just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:43 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
I truly don't know what to make of JJ as a TE. Nearly all of the routes I see him run it to go out 5 or so yards and button hook. I rarely if ever see him attacking the seems, forcing a Safety to center of the field. Maybe he is incapable of it, but I have't seen that route tree for him at all, not even in trying. Can't say I have seen it with Grimble or anyone since Heath retired. So, that sort of stuff would fall on the shoulders of Haley. You can rip JJ's production, but it doesn't seem that they are using him anywhere near how they used Miller, yet the playbook is the same with many TE pages torn out. If JJ is incapable of that route tree, then the coaching staff (Tomlin, Haley) and Colbert have really fucked up not finding a TE that can run those routes. A good TE keeps the Safety's at home, allowing your outside receivers more freedom on their side of the field. As it is now, teams double AB and cheat their SS into the box to account for Bell. Terrible coaching!
I've been saying this since last year. James isn't used like Green. He hasn't even had the opportunity to showcase his speed and explosiveness (ok, that was joke), but seriously. How can you judge a player who isn't even running the same routes?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:20 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
alancac98 wrote:
I truly don't know what to make of JJ as a TE. Nearly all of the routes I see him run it to go out 5 or so yards and button hook. I rarely if ever see him attacking the seems, forcing a Safety to center of the field. Maybe he is incapable of it, but I have't seen that route tree for him at all, not even in trying. Can't say I have seen it with Grimble or anyone since Heath retired. So, that sort of stuff would fall on the shoulders of Haley. You can rip JJ's production, but it doesn't seem that they are using him anywhere near how they used Miller, yet the playbook is the same with many TE pages torn out. If JJ is incapable of that route tree, then the coaching staff (Tomlin, Haley) and Colbert have really fucked up not finding a TE that can run those routes. A good TE keeps the Safety's at home, allowing your outside receivers more freedom on their side of the field. As it is now, teams double AB and cheat their SS into the box to account for Bell. Terrible coaching!
I've been saying this since last year. James isn't used like Green. He hasn't even had the opportunity to showcase his speed and explosiveness (ok, that was joke), but seriously. How can you judge a player who isn't even running the same routes?

I've been a believer in JJ and to call him slow really isn't true. He ran a 4.66 and 4.71 at his pro day. He was also tops at the combine in Vertical leap, Broad jump, 60 yard shuttle and Bench press among TE's. I have no idea how well he could stretch the field since he is never asked to. Also, I don't think that what he said was a big deal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:22 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:
I've been a believer in JJ and to call him slow really isn't true. He ran a 4.66 and 4.71 at his pro day. He was also tops at the combine in Vertical leap, Broad jump, 60 yard shuttle and Bench press among TE's. I have no idea how well he could stretch the field since he is never asked to. Also, I don't think that what he said was a big deal.

But what about now after trying to bulk-up to the protypical plodding safety-valve featured in the Steeler offense?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:48 pm 

Jesse James was a 5th round pick, and yeah, I had him in my top 5 TEs that I wanted that draft, and great, we did pick him up, but he is disappointing.

He has not developed into what he could be, and I think it all comes down to be too mild mannered and afraid of playing physical and being hit. I am not going to defend him any longer, he is soft, and runs scared after the catch. How can he use that 4.65-4.7 speed when he runs on his tip toes and with short choppy steps? Ever hear of a stiff arm? Or using that size and length to get physical?

I have seen the Steelers send him on Heath Miller type of routes in the intermediate areas and he rounds off his routes, telegraphs everything. There is no quickness or deception, no fluidity in his routes, does not sell it well and he is easily covered like a blanket. Grimble can run those routes and be productive. He did have two 20 yard TD passes last year, he did have a clearing route that drew 3 defenders and allowed Ben to hit Brown on a long TD pass in the first KC game. Vance McDonald was a threat at TE for the 49ers. There are options at TE, we just continue to waste time with James.

Rogers? Who exactly is going to leave the field so that Eli Rogers can play? JuJu is the only WR not named Brown doing a great job out there, and as the NFL's youngest player to boot. He has a 60% catch rate, Rogers is only 54%, Bryant is at 48% and Brown only a smidgen better at 62%. JuJu has 12 catches for 160 yards, a great 13.3 yard avg and 2 TDs in just 4 games. He has 10 first downs on those 12 catches, which is a great 83% first down rate. He has two catches over 20+ yards, and a couple others that were just shy of 20, he runs routes short, intermediate and gets better every game. JuJu leaves the field for nobody, that 3rd WR spot is rightfully his.

So my question still is who comes off the field so Rogers can play? Or are we going to go with 4 WR/5WR sets? Are we going to bring on Rogers and take Bryant off the field? Bryant is another who has disappointed. 5 catches for 21 yards? Really? Maybe lining up JuJu at Bryant's outside spot and having Rogers in the slot is an option to try because Bryant is underwhelming out there too.

Yes, Haley needs to go, I think he has run his course as our OC. This is your 6th season, with all this talent, and the offense is in a shambles. I don't want to hear about excuses to the O-line. This O-line has always had injuries and the offense never tanked this badly. Last season Hubbard and Finney played games in place of the injured Gilbert and Foster, so this is nothing new. But I am also tired of blaming everything on Haley, Ben and all of the big stars on this offense are under achieving and mailing it in, thinking that all they have to do is show up on gameday and things will be fine. Guilty of reading their press clippings, of thinking that they are great and don't have to actually go out and prove it every week, every game.

Make no mistake, Rogers and James both need to be replaced in this offense, they were never that good to begin with. You can live with them as your #2 TE and your 4/5th WR, but they are not a #1 TE or a starting slot WR. Thankfully we already have JuJu for that slot WR role and as soon as McDonald get going James can be pushed back to the #2 TE.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 pm 

Scunge wrote:
...Ben and all of the big stars on this offense are under achieving and mailing it in, thinking that all they have to do is show up on gameday

Maybe, but if you had a really shitty, incompetent boss do you continue to bust ass every day - how long before you mentally check out?