It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wondering about James Harrison
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:17 pm 

955876 wrote:
I didn’t realize in our organization the LB coach has full autonomy to make whatever decisions he pleases.

It must be nice to be ultimately responsible for everything yet in charge of nothing.

What decisions is Tomlin allowed to make?

Of course he doesn't... but the GM and HC and DC all say the position coaches have a lot of involvement in reviewing prospects, UDFAs, coaching the group, depth chart, and so on. They absolutely are in control of who goes in the game, during the game. Of course the HC & coordinator discuss this plan ahead of time and could be held accountable for not saying, e.g., "Why isn't Deebo in the game?"... but this is what position coaches do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:44 pm 

So it’s actually been the RB coach not getting anyone else reps in the past. Got it.

Maybe someday Tomlin’s position coaches will finally push the right buttons. He is likely as frustrated as we get at times. Only so many hours in the day for him though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:47 pm 

Quote:
@SteelersPRBurt
#Steelers WR Martavis Bryant has been added to the team's injury report (illness). He is listed as questionable for Sunday's game vs. Jacksonville. https://twitter.com/@SteelersPRBurt
Really ODD!

Notice Gilbert is the only Steelers player listed as doubtful for Tomorrow. Until today. See above^ http://www.steelers.com/team/injury-report.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:53 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
@SteelersPRBurt
#Steelers WR Martavis Bryant has been added to the team's injury report (illness). He is listed as questionable for Sunday's game vs. Jacksonville. https://twitter.com/@SteelersPRBurt
Really ODD!

Notice Gilbert is the only Steelers player listed as doubtful for Tomorrow. Until today. See above^ http://www.steelers.com/team/injury-report.html

Hasn't the flu been nibbling at the team?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:07 pm 

VeritasSteel wrote:
R S wrote:
Outside of Lynch, nobody said anything about running with Chickillo long term. So that's a major reach. That Chicago game was a perfect example of needing JH. Instead they let Chick get his shit pushed in over and over again. Leveon Bell was very fresh week 1 and it only took him 3-4 games to get back up to speed.

There were a lot more problems in that game besides Chickillo. I'd say that we missed Tuitt more than we missed Harrison. On those long runs, RB pressed the hole at the A gap and cut back away from the strong side (Harrisons side). The next week the Ravens only got one of those.

RS you know the timing on the offensive side always takes longer than the defensive side. Bell is a unique player with a unique timing required between himself and the oline. Harrison just needs to play his assignment within his skill set (which is massive) and he taught all the people around him the timing on stunts and twists. I trust James to be where he's supposed to be and I don't need him getting in reps in October to prove it.

This team doesn't need James Harrison- right now. It needs a completely healthy James Harrison deeper in the season.

Kind of sick of hearing that losing to chicago didnt really matter. It wont matter only in the instance of tiebreakers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:51 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Felt like these couple depth chart comments fell into this thread instead of starting a new thread.

Depth Chart observations.....

While Hunter is expected to get another start this week it does not bode well for Rogers. Why Heyward-Bey is so important for ST's is anyone's guess. I haven't seen Bey do anything noteworthy to date. Not entirely sure what Bey's contract status is but I believe that is part of the equation. Allowing Bey to play out his contract while Rogers refines his craft in practices. Rogers may be in roster bubble jeopardy not being a capable return man. That said, Bey does not return either. So right now the consensus is Hunter offers more as a WR than Rogers. Speed, Height and experience. One has to figure the Hunter signing has to produce since good money is being spent.

Also, something I have noticed kickoff returns have been Watson. Why? Watson is a 3 yard cloud of dust old school type plodding RB. How does any of his skill set prove him capable of return duties? Desperation and Smith being an all in type coach has more to do with it than anything else IMO. Although I love the hard luck story behind Watson I don't agree with him being all that capable as a returner. Watson is currently listed as #3 behind Conner and Bell At RB. Can anyone justify Watson returning kicks? Beuller?

77, as far as DHB is concerned, the way I've heard it and I believe it was Haley that said..."DHB was an energy bringer...as was JuJu", so I guess that's why he's getting a hat. He's a decent gunner, but really, that's about it at this stage in his career. Watson, on the other hand, I have no idea why he's returning KOs. I would think JuJu or even Connor would even be better options, but who knows why we do what we do?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:26 pm 

Quote:
Kind of sick of hearing that losing to chicago didnt really matter. It wont matter only in the instance of tiebreakers

Exactly. It does matter. A lot. Especially for a team that CLEARLY plays much worse on the road than at home. Even against the worst of teams.

Not to mention the number of times we’ve missed the playoffs or a bye week by coming up a game short.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:36 pm 

955876 wrote:
Quote:

Exactly. It does matter. A lot. Especially for a team that CLEARLY plays much worse on the road than at home. Even against the worst of teams.

Not to mention the number of times we’ve missed the playoffs or a bye week by coming up a game short.

FWIW:
Career coaching records on the road:

Bill Belichick: .612 ___ 109-69
Mike Tomlin: .554 ____ 46-37
Mi McCarthy: .551 ____ 49-40
Pete Carroll.: .438 ____ 39-50-1
Jo Harbaugh: .432 ____ 32-42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:47 pm 
bradshaw2ben wrote:
955876 wrote:
Quote:

FWIW:
Career coaching records on the road:

Bill Belichick: .612 ___ 109-69
Mike Tomlin: .554 ____ 46-37
Mi McCarthy: .551 ____ 49-40
Pete Carroll.: .438 ____ 39-50-1
Jo Harbaugh: .432 ____ 32-42

And lets be honest the cheats are a total sham...when you remove that obvious fraudulant outlier

Tomlin is the best road HC in the nfl. HA!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:31 pm 

One would think the “best road coach” would have more than 2 playoff wins on the road over the course of 10 seasons.

And one of those wins was hugely gifted when two idiots on the Bungles gave us 30 yards in penalties as time wound down.

I guess with more opportunities the win total would be higher.

If not for all those pesky losses to underdogs that kept us out of the postseason of course.

With the Chicago loss this year he’s already laying he ground work to play on wildcard weekend.

Advantage us I suppose. Unless of course there is some social, racial, or political drama the team needs to focus on prior to the game.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:39 pm 

Concerning Bey and how important he is on special teams, I did some research on the 6 games he missed last season.

Wouldn't you know it? In those 6 games the team, the special teams units did not just fall apart. They did not give up TDs on punt or kick returns. In fact, they actually gave up one less yard on kick returns and almost one half yard less on punt returns. So how is that possible? I mean all I hear is that Bey is our best special teamer, that his speed makes all the difference in the world, yet not having him out there as a gunner, actually improved the coverage units. That proved to me that Bey is overrated, and that you can place pretty much anybody out there at gunner, within reason and get the same results. If Bey were not on the team and Brian Allen was active each week and took his place on the special teams units we would not see much difference at all. Allen would do a good job and would learn as he goes.

I think there is some politics going on with Harrison/Porter and Tomlin. Just don't understand it at all.

As I said, James had 128 snaps while being the backup to Jarvis Jones through the first 4 games last season. Now this season he has 7 snaps? Watt missed time to injury, Dupree missed time to injury and James has just 7 snaps?

If anything, I worry that the team is going to get Chickillo injured by his overuse on defense AND special teams. He has 171 snaps on defense and he LEADS the team on special teams with 84 snaps. It might not be that he is such a poor player against the run, but he might be starting to wear down over the course of a game when he plays so much on defense and then plays over 20 special teams snaps on EVERY SINGLE UNIT. That is a recipe for wearing out, burning out a player. The solution to that is to get him some blows by having Harrison see 10-12 snaps a game.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:55 pm 
Why is it so hard to imagine the Steelers are doing what they can to make sure their most accomplished defender is on the field in February ?

Politics with Porter and Tomlin ??????
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:07 pm 

SteelerChef wrote:
Why is it so hard to imagine the Steelers are doing what they can to make sure their most accomplished defender is on the field in February ?

But not their starting RB they rely on like a set of crutches? Interesting priorities.

And thats always been the thing with a Tomlin coaches team. Answers that might make sense all of a sudden don’t when you realize the “logic” is never applied consistently.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:23 pm 
955876 wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:

But not their starting RB they rely on like a set of crutches? Interesting priorities.

And thats always been the thing with a Tomlin coaches team. Answers that might make sense all of a sudden don’t when you realize the “logic” is never applied consistently.

95-

Harrison is damn near 40.....the team is 3-1....the defense is doing ok...many other things i could mention....

But suffice to say thats not close to a fair comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:32 pm 

Defense was ok against a one dimensional Chicago team? A team that didn’t even pretend to want to pass the ball and yet we still couldn’t stop the run?

And again, if the plan is to not use him, why did he dress? If the plan is to not use him, why has he said himself he doesn’t know why he hasn’t played?

If the answers are so simple it seems the response should be as well.

James, how come you have not gotten any snaps?
JH: coach and I talked about this. We are working some younger guys into the mix early on. I’ll have my opportunities.

There has been none of that.

And players at the least need a few reps. It’s absurd to think we can sit this guy on the bench and all of a sudden “unleash him”.

Both starters have missed time. Our run D hasn’t been good.

1+1 still equals 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:36 pm 

If we don’t get the offense going, it’s not going to matter what the D does.

Not likely we win another playoff game without scoring a TD.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:38 pm 
955876 wrote:
If we don’t get the offense going, it’s not going to matter what the D does.

Not likely we win another playoff game without scoring a TD.

Agreed

I bet sitting Bell would really help that huh ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:47 pm 
And lets stop talking about chicago like its the end of time. The Steelers lost on the road by 6pts. The end.

-fumbled punt = 7
-blocked kick = 3

Additionally the bears run game is exactly the kind the Steelers occasionally have fits with. Lots of counter movement and RBs who can cut hard. The Steelers shouldve found a way to win. It wasnt THAT bad however

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:53 pm 

Who said to sit Bell?

Are you going to pretend we haven’t given this guy excessive carries in games already decided? Are you going to pretend that after he’s gotten hurt his replacements weren’t up to speed given lack of carries?

Remember that wildcard game last year where we thumped a hapless Miami? Did Bell really need 30 carries?

Oh wait, it was but 29

Followed it up with 30 the following week.

We were up 30-6 going into 4th quarter and Bell was still getting carries.

Why?

It wasn’t as if he didn’t already had a history of not being healthy for an important playoff game.

Last edited by 955876 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:47 pm 

Answering the OP, I think the Steelers want to give the young players as much experience and chances to grow as possible. No, Chickillo and Moats are not better players, but they can play in pass coverage. Harrison is a liability in coverage against good to elite passers. I think its just that simple.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:57 pm 

I think it's pretty obvious that, unless he's hurt, this team needs Deebo on run downs.It obviously wouldn't hurt.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:10 pm 

44LetzRide wrote:
Harrison is a liability in coverage against good to elite passers. I think its just that simple.

Yeah, we've played a real who's-who of QBs....can't have Harrison on the field against those guys :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:34 pm 

955876 wrote:
One would think the “best road coach” would have more than 2 playoff wins on the road over the course of 10 seasons.

Bill Belichick road playoffs: 3-5 in 22 years
Mike Tomlin road playoffs: 2-3 in 10 years

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:04 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
955876 wrote:

I know you're just discussing road playoff records, but I'd like to point out that road playoff records don't carry much weight when you're so good you get home field advantage throughout the playoffs almost all of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:21 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
955876 wrote:

...and now you're drudging up old threads to divert attention back to Haley as the "problem coach" of the Pittsburgh Steelers?!

There's just no quit in you, is there B2B?

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:30 pm 

Steeledge wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
955876 wrote:

...and now you're drudging up old threads to divert attention back to Haley as the "problem coach" of the Pittsburgh Steelers?!

Just saw that response and the corresponding stat was right in front of me.

There's nothing wrong with Mike Tomlin's performance. I rather like him as coach of the Steelers, so I guess you're right that I won't quit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:55 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steeledge wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Just saw that response and the corresponding stat was right in front of me.

There's nothing wrong with Mike Tomlin's performance. I rather like him as coach of the Steelers, so I guess you're right that I won't quit.

fair enough

then we'll just agree to disagree...
...especially when you sit there and crucify Todd Haley with the same keyboard with which you type such drivel as "There's nothing wrong with Mike Tomlin's performance."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:44 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
955876 wrote:

That stat indicates BB doesn't need to go on the road very often because his teams usually take care of business in the RS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:39 pm 

Still, he's 2-4 with Brady on the road in postseason.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:27 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
I believe there is a plan for James Harrison. I believe it is a bad one. Coaches are morons.

Some of that decision is in the hands of the Steelers worst position coach... which leaves it up for debate.

Peezy?? How would you know he's the Steelers worst position coach??

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:09 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
I believe there is a plan for James Harrison. I believe it is a bad one. Coaches are morons.

Some of that decision is in the hands of the Steelers worst position coach... which leaves it up for debate.

Peezy?? How would you know he's the Steelers worst position coach??

Because he makes horrendous choices about player usage and his players rarely seem to make progress in development. Also, not one of them ever says anything positive about him as a coach. Finally, he coached a college player that became an excellent pro and apparently didn't want him in PIT, even as a UDFA. Even when the team was starting Jarvis Jones over Deebo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:49 pm 

I'll say it again...we can reasonably assess the effectiveness of the HC, the OC, the DC. Positional coaches, though? Unless you're at practice, I don't think so? And now you're using whether there are positive public comments?? C'mon, Man!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:24 pm 

From what I have seen, I would be surprised if the coaches were using anything more analytical than a roulette wheel to decide who plays.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:04 pm 

Count me in as to wondering what Porter contributes to this team other than getting drunk on the south side. Lake and Jerry O former quality steelers that impress me not as coaches. Enough with the former player nostalgia but I'm guessing Hines will be the next former Steeler to be brought back once Richard Mann retires.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:46 am 

Harrison hurt or what? cant tell me a fresh james coming into rush or stuff the run when the defense been bending wouldn't help...how u like facing watt all game and that big bastard come trotting out fresh as a daisey in 2nd half? let him play..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:36 am 

I like to see James get some snaps and still not sure how moats getting a hat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:11 am 

steelmann58 wrote:
I like to see James get some snaps and still not sure how moats getting a hat

It was report that Debo has a back injury. if it is true, maybe his age has finally caught up with him and he cannot get his back right. Or has he gone down the performance curve so much (like all great players do) that Moats and Chick may have passed him by.

Let's face it , if we did not draft Watt, who has step right in and is having a good year, and we still had Jervis, Debo would have been playing much more. At this point I am afraid that another Steeler "Great" is done. I hope i am wrong and that our "evil scientist" coach is just saving him to unleash on Brady.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:39 pm 

If James Harrison is not better than Anthony Chickillo or Moats, I am a robot from the year 2056.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:31 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
If James Harrison is not better than Anthony Chickillo or Moats, I am a robot from the year 2056.

So...have they perfected flying cars and time travel yet?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:30 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I dunno. I might actually entertain that suggestion as truth. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:20 pm 

Chickillo aint half bad yall.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:58 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Does anyone have the details on why James Harrison isn't getting playing time?

Have I missed something on the internet explaining or talking about this?

I saw he tweeted social media where he was sitting on his helmet and cracked a joke making a reference about getting prepped for game time reps or something but when he didn't play at all in the Ravens game it got me thinking.

I asked this question 10 weeks ago before the first Ravens game. We still don't have an answer. if he is not active this week I am afraid father time has caught up to him and he is merely just another strength coach on the team masquerading as a player.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:23 pm 

stealin wrote:
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Does anyone have the details on why James Harrison isn't getting playing time?

Have I missed something on the internet explaining or talking about this?

I saw he tweeted social media where he was sitting on his helmet and cracked a joke making a reference about getting prepped for game time reps or something but when he didn't play at all in the Ravens game it got me thinking.

I asked this question 10 weeks ago before the first Ravens game. We still don't have an answer. if he is not active this week I am afraid father time has caught up to him and he is merely just another strength coach on the team masquerading as a player.

Well...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:08 am 

I saw a video of him lifting (on FB I think) shirtless, and said several times “they got this sitting on the sideline.” Seems like he’d need a few snaps these last cpl weeks before they “unleash” him in a he playoffs. I don’t know, seems like with Shazier and dirty red both out you’d have to think #92 May see the field Sunday night. Or, maybe not at all. (<<I can’t and don’t want to believe that)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:55 am 

This should be the week he becomes re acquainted with Mr Flacco

Last edited by steelmann58 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:00 am 

Well, 4 weeks left (and the last one shouldn't matter)....then 3 playoff games....Damn near half a season, so the time for "saving" is over and he needs to get in playing shape. Would explain why he wasn't dressing early in the year when TJ was out.

It's simply possible that TJ performed much better and fast than expected. I don't know if there's been any experimentation with Harrison on the other side, but you figure if Harrison took 12-15 snaps for TJ then they both can go absolutely full tilt on every play.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:54 am 

The Steelers don't intend to use Harrison unless they have to. This is effectively Chickillo's first year seeing major time on the field, and of course, Watt being a rookie who is playing well can only get better with more snaps. I don't buy for a moment that Father Time has rendered him useless. Spots on the 53 man roster are too valuable. Harrison's weakness is coverage. He can still play the run better than any OLB on the roster. He scan still rush the QB better. The Steelers simply want their young players to emerge because at Harrison's age, they know they can depend on him for only a limited time. Harrison would have been a better match up than Watt for some of the run heavy teams the Steelers have played recently. The fact is that Jarvis Jones lost games for the Steelers. Watt hasn't. He hasn't been perfect, but he hasn't been the sole reason the Steelers under performed or lost.

I hope to see #92 play before this run is over. He's my favorite Steeler of all time - and I am a rabid Franco, Stallworth, Lipps, Lloyd fan.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:01 am 

44LetzRide wrote:
The Steelers don't intend to use Harrison unless they have to. This is effectively Chickillo's first year seeing major time on the field, and of course, Watt being a rookie who is playing well can only get better with more snaps. I don't buy for a moment that Father Time has rendered him useless. Spots on the 53 man roster are too valuable. Harrison's weakness is coverage. He can still play the run better than any OLB on the roster. He scan still rush the QB better. The Steelers simply want their young players to emerge because at Harrison's age, they know they can depend on him for only a limited time. Harrison would have been a better match up than Watt for some of the run heavy teams the Steelers have played recently. The fact is that Jarvis Jones lost games for the Steelers. Watt hasn't. He hasn't been perfect, but he hasn't been the sole reason the Steelers under performed or lost.

I hope to see #92 play before this run is over. He's my favorite Steeler of all time - and I am a rabid Franco, Stallworth, Lipps, Lloyd fan.

Harrison not dressing has nothing to do with Watt He’s competing with Chickillo & Moats, both of whom play STs. Personally, I’d love to have him in stunt rusher role but they are more worried about STs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:54 am 

so has there been a mention of unleashing the beast Harrison now by the coaching staff or press? why is he taking a roster spot if he cant or is not allowed to play? very strange situation with Harrison..cant imagine him not being a spark plug on defense and big on run stopping. which the steelers need badly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:40 am 

he going play this week and then back to the bench vs NE and see time the last 2 games. it time to get 92 playoff ready.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next